Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hummingbird in my garage [JPEGS]

Hummingbird in my garage [JPEGS]
Railroader
Banned
Aug 21, 2007, 09:53 PM

I was in my shop (garage, but I like to think of it as a shop) and unnoticed a hummingbird had flown in. It's hard to believe it wasn't scared off by the table saw running nearly non-stop today.

It was quite occupied with the lighting in there, which helped out significantly when I realized this is perfect photo opportunity.

Here's the results of a few hundred shots I took:

And then it finally settled down on a box that I thought was appropriate for this place:

I ended up having to capture it in a fishing net and releasing it outside where it promptly flew in a direct line for the woods besides the house. It was probably in there an hour or so buzzing around the lights. I had both garage doors open, but it wouldn't leave.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 21, 2007, 09:55 PM

I captured these with my Canon XTi set at 1600 iso, AV priority f/2.8 with my Canon 200 mm f/2.8 L mk.II lens.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 10:01 PM

wow. those are GREAT pics!

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 10:06 PM

I like the first of the shots.

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Here's the results of a few hundred shots I took:
A few hundred shots? Who was more exhausted then, you or the bird?

-

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 21, 2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
I like the first of the shots.
Yeah, the first is the best one, but it doesn't show the color of the bird

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
A few hundred shots? Who was more exhausted then, you or the bird?

-
At 3 frames/sec, it doesn't take long.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2007, 10:47 PM

Wow, are you sure she doesn't have a nest? Beautymous!

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 08:21 AM

the first pic is great. i've had a hummingbird on two occasions get "trapped" in my open garage, in which i've had to resort to using a net as well to free it.
a robin didn't seem to have the same problem escaping, albeit after circling and pooping many times.
one post closer to five stars

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 08:42 AM

Yeah, the first is the best one, but it doesn't show the color of the bird
Yeah, but it captures the experience of both you and the bird, great shot! I can't get hummingbirds to feed in my garden and you get them in your garage, ain't fair!

Naplander
Senior User
Aug 22, 2007, 11:04 AM

Beautiful!
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2007, 11:23 AM

Awesome. Thanks RR.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 11:44 AM

For those of you who are appreciating the pictures, here's a link to a few dozen more lower quality pictures.

Hummingbird - powered by SmugMug

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 11:55 AM

Nice pics!
I love hummingbirds, but only seen them a few times in the wild.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Nice pics!
I love hummingbirds, but only seen them a few times in the wild.
Same here. And this was the first time I touched one.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2007, 01:39 PM

Terrific, Railroader.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2007, 04:26 PM

Wow, great shots.

I especially like the vertical one with yellowish light where both its wings are out forwards and backlit.

You'd have a field day at my parents house. Just a few years ago there wasn't a single hummignbird, and now they fight eachother for a position on the feeder. It's wild.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 04:36 PM

Where are the pictures?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 04:37 PM

Same here. And this was the first time I touched one.
Nice.
It's interesting how the bird was so drawn to the light, or maybe the space above it.
Maybe it was looking for a nest?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Where are the pictures?
??? In the first post?

Or do you mean location, which was also answered in the first post...

Originally Posted by Railroader
I was in my shop (garage, but I like to think of it as a shop)...
or...

Originally Posted by Railroader
For those of you who are appreciating the pictures, here's a link to a few dozen more lower quality pictures.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Nice.
It's interesting how the bird was so drawn to the light, or maybe the space above it.
Maybe it was looking for a nest?
It was doing that to all of the lights (5 sets total) and also to that box in the pictures.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Wow, great shots.

I especially like the vertical one with yellowish light where both its wings are out forwards and backlit.
Thanks!

This one?

I like it a lot too, but it didn't crop as well.

You'd have a field day at my parents house. Just a few years ago there wasn't a single hummignbird, and now they fight eachother for a position on the feeder. It's wild.
That would be cool. Do you know what they use for feed? This event has inspired me to investigate putting a feeder up. Definitely near a window for more photographic moments.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2007, 06:41 PM

My dad stopped buying the feed and just uses tap water and sugar. His tap water is incredible though, if yours smells a little like chlorine you might wanna buy water.

And yes, that's the pic

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 06:44 PM

Do you know what they use for feed? This event has inspired me to investigate putting a feeder up. Definitely near a window for more photographic moments.
They drink nectar, and hummingbird feeders basically have sugar water in them. I've heard the solution that is colored red is bad for the birds, but you can make your own with sugar and water.

Hummingbird Nectar and Oriole Nectar - Make your own!

ImpulseResponse

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 06:50 PM

My dad stopped buying the feed and just uses tap water and sugar. His tap water is incredible though, if yours smells a little like chlorine you might wanna buy water.

And yes, that's the pic
The water here in Indy is "interesting". T'd probably buy some spring water that is not chlorinated then. I have read that distilled water is a huge no-no.

Who'd have thought we'd have a hummingbird feeding discussion? Not me. I have to go do something manly, like make a fire or something to purge this.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 06:52 PM

And I have a question for you lighting/electrically intelligent people: Why is the light sometimes yellow looking? Is it the light, or my camera searching for white balance?

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 07:00 AM

Besides them getting to know you and sneaking up behind you and hovering behind your ear, the best part of a hummingbird feeder is watching the battles for drinking rights. I've got at least 4 different hummingbirds that have the wildest dogfights I could ever imagine happening in 3 dimensions. Those little guys have flying skills that are simply amazing.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:36 AM

I was walking into the ex's apartment building one afternoon, and spotted something on the sidewalk. Turned out to be a just-dead hummingbird in perfect condition. I've never been that close to one in my life - it was really amazing to hold it and see how tiny it is and how its wings and feathers are constructed.

The thing is still in my freezer. I'd love to take it somewhere and have it stuffed and put in something (a glass globe I can hang in the window or something...I don't know...), but I'm guessing it's too tiny for taxidermy.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:38 AM

The water here in Indy is "interesting".
Some areas of Indy do have really weird-tasting water, depending on which reservoir it's coming from.

I use a Brita water pitcher religiously. It filters out everything gross in the water and leaves it tasting great, and it costs less than continually buying bottled water. If you have a fridge with a water dispenser and built-in filter, use that.

<edit> Also, which part of Indy are you in? </edit>
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Where are the pictures?
I have the same question... no images appear in any of the threads here for me anymore starting yesterdayish. I see all of the other images (the macnn banner for example), but nothing in the posts themselves. No signatue images either. I checked my preferences and it has "show images" and "show signatures" enabled. Weird. Things are a lot more boring without images. Looks like the hamsters ran amok and put in some bugs in the code.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 25, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I was walking into the ex's apartment building one afternoon, and spotted something on the sidewalk. Turned out to be a just-dead hummingbird in perfect condition. I've never been that close to one in my life - it was really amazing to hold it and see how tiny it is and how its wings and feathers are constructed.

The thing is still in my freezer. I'd love to take it somewhere and have it stuffed and put in something (a glass globe I can hang in the window or something...I don't know...), but I'm guessing it's too tiny for taxidermy.
So, you handled a dead bird that by all appearances was "perfect"?!?! Have you heard of the avian flu?

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
<edit> Also, which part of Indy are you in? </edit>
Sorry, too many creeps read these posts to reveal that information here.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 25, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I have the same question... no images appear in any of the threads here for me anymore starting yesterdayish. I see all of the other images (the macnn banner for example), but nothing in the posts themselves. No signatue images either. I checked my preferences and it has "show images" and "show signatures" enabled. Weird. Things are a lot more boring without images. Looks like the hamsters ran amok and put in some bugs in the code.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 07:22 PM

And I have a question for you lighting/electrically intelligent people: Why is the light sometimes yellow looking? Is it the light, or my camera searching for white balance?
Well, it's both

Yes, it's definitely your camera's auto-white balance that will do it. White balance isn't a big deal to fix up in Aperture though. Mostly a one-click action

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 26, 2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Well, it's both

Yes, it's definitely your camera's auto-white balance that will do it. White balance isn't a big deal to fix up in Aperture though. Mostly a one-click action
Actually, I was wondering, technically is it the flickering of the bulb I am catching, or the XTi's Auto-White Balance wavering.

I know about white balance correction. I prefer Adobe Camera RAW. Aperture is a processor HOG!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 10:05 PM

No, it would be your camera light meter having problems reading the correct colour-temperature. This often happens when you have mixed lightsources like daylight + bulbs/incandescent.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 26, 2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
No, it would be your camera light meter having problems reading the correct colour-temperature. This often happens when you have mixed lightsources like daylight + bulbs/incandescent.
Ahhh... I did have the garage doors open and it was a very sunny day. The light meter was probably wavering between sunlight and fluorescent white points.

Forum Links
Forum Rules