Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > *** Signature Guidelines

*** Signature Guidelines
Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 7, 2001, 09:52 PM

Image: 140 pixels wide maximum. 40 pixels high maximum. Not animated. 10KB or less.

This is a slight increase in dimensions over the old guidelines.

Text: No more than 4 lines of text. Or no more than one image and 2 lines of text. Yes, it's difficult to tell "lines" with browser window sizes and all, but no huge paragraphs of text in your sigs please.

Overall: These guidelines exist to make browsing the boards enjoyable for everybody. The filesize restrictions make modem users happy. The dimension restrictions make everyone else happy. I want to read the text of a post, not have to scroll past the same old 400x400 sig image everytime some user posts. Animated sigs are distracting and also not allowed.

If your image is outside our new restrictions, we'll send you a warning (although we'd all prefer if you'd change it on your own after reading this). Check your Private Messages and registered email address often if you think your signature may be outside our parameters. If you're not sure if your sig violates our Terms of Service (the restrictions above as well as it being decent), then ask us. It's that easy.

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2001, 09:54 PM

So mine's to big? And ladies settle down, i'm asking about my signature.
"I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not to some mid-level bureaucrat with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies."

Vole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2001, 09:56 PM

ha ha nuibi is gonna be so pissed!!

Hey wait a...
If I make another sig with an enormous grotesque image, I will be banned.

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Nov 7, 2001, 10:11 PM

yes, both of the above are violations. father OCN's less so, of course. you could shrink the current one down or turn it sideways and shrink it less.

vole/mole, enough of the huge sigs. change it already.

Niubi
Banned
Nov 7, 2001, 10:17 PM

I am pretty pissed as mle said...sacrilige of my Art..I am an Arteeste!!!!

aNyway...just to be perverse..I'm keeping it 7 pixels wider then allowed

7 pixels....is it a crime?

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2001, 10:29 PM

So mine's to big? And ladies settle down, i'm asking about my signature.
Seriously, how many "ladies" do you think are actually reading this board? Why can't people seem to remember that we're all just a bunch of computer geeks with nothing better to do than lust after a friggin' COMPUTER company? Get a grip on reality, man.

As for sigs, the pictures are really starting to get to me. As far as I'm concerned the best sigs are always a simple quote. That's just my opinion, though.

Those guidelines for pictures seems to be quite adequate, however.

Niubi
Banned
Nov 7, 2001, 10:31 PM

I buggered up the earlier post...just testing again...

Niubi
Banned
Nov 7, 2001, 10:34 PM

One more try...maybe it's just my cache..??

hey I chose Niubi as a name for a reason!

Niubi
Banned
Nov 7, 2001, 10:38 PM

Yeah! It Works now..... is that safe and sound with you demonhood?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2001, 11:41 PM

But I liked my old sig...

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Nov 7, 2001, 11:54 PM

7 pixels over, 8 pixels over -- it sounds like not much at all, but we have to draw the line somewhere, and this is where we're drawing the line: at 140x40.

Everyone gets one warning, and then the sig will be changed by an administrator. If it is changed back, the signature will be removed and the profile locked (i.e. you can't change any profile information further).

Most people are really quite cooperative about this, but since there are always a few bad apples in a bunch, we felt it best to lay out our policy clearly from the start.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2001, 12:34 AM

I dunno if my old sig was too big or not...time for a new one anyways

shmerek
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2001, 12:40 AM

hmmm....

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: shmerek ]

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: shmerek ]

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2001, 12:55 AM

And other languages?
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Lerkfish
Nov 8, 2001, 12:57 AM

hm...unintentionally I was already in compliance....wow, how did THAT happen?

Vole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 01:39 AM

That's ok there are being lots of rodent names. But I guess to be being a decent guy I could make it smaller.

If we have been learning anything from Ca$h it is that banning is not making anyone go away.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Vole ]
If I make another sig with an enormous grotesque image, I will be banned.

Rodent
Banned
Nov 8, 2001, 01:49 AM

That is being more like it!

MoleVole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 02:40 AM

Banned? Someone must have forgotten to tell me! Jebus I did not know that there was an admin out there who still was thinking that IP blocks work.

Did ca$h teach us nothing?

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: MoleVole ]
How many times are we going to go through this? What am I trying to prove? Do I aspire to having the same relationship with the forums and the staff as Ca$h did in his darkest hour? Why don't I just please stop putting these stupid images in my sig?

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2001, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
<STRONG>

Seriously, how many "ladies" do you think are actually reading this board? Why can't people seem to remember that we're all just a bunch of computer geeks with nothing better to do than lust after a friggin' COMPUTER company? Get a grip on reality, man.

As for sigs, the pictures are really starting to get to me. As far as I'm concerned the best sigs are always a simple quote. That's just my opinion, though.

Those guidelines for pictures seems to be quite adequate, however.</STRONG>
Well, then that's what I'm proud about, OCN has women on it's board. I hope you weren't speaking for everyone here. Hate to see you stick your food in your mouth buddy.
"I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not to some mid-level bureaucrat with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies."

M0L3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 04:46 AM

Even if there are not being that many women on this board father we are having enough sissies to make up for it! Our girly men can be matching your "real" girls any day of the week bubba!

Come on let me at them!

But if I break a nail in a cat fight the whole thing is just being over then and there 'k?
Beautiful! I'm almost there! as of 2:25 am pacific, my sig image is down to 173x41. now i just need to make it about 30 pixels narrower, and everything will be wonderful, and the admins will finally leave me alone. :)

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2001, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by M0L3:
<STRONG>Even if there are not being that many women on this board father we are having enough sissies to make up for it! Our girly men can be matching your "real" girls any day of the week bubba!

Come on let me at them!

But if I break a nail in a cat fight the whole thing is just being over then and there 'k?</STRONG>
No comment from the peanut gallery.

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2001, 06:30 AM

Damn, and I only just made mine: 150x50!!

But, mine is under 5 kilobytes as opposed to 10, so...
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2001, 06:50 AM

There! That ought to fix it

Don't want to stray too far from the law now...
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2001, 08:40 AM

How 'bout mine:

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2001, 09:14 AM

or mine?

-r.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2001, 02:34 PM

LOL!
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Sine
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2001, 02:52 PM

All the sigs should be stored in the cache anyhow.. I don't know what the big deal is. Buncha sig nazis

cheerios
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2001, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
<STRONG>

Those guidelines for pictures seems to be quite adequate, however.</STRONG>
Hmmm... I was a girl last time I checked... i assume I fit into the category "ladies"... As for lusting after comp companies... well, I truly don't wanna know what you do with your spare time..
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2001, 02:04 AM

To those people who've taken issue with my response a few days ago, I'm sorry. After reading it again I realize that this was not the kind of message that I was trying to send. I think it's fantastic that there IS a significant amount of men AND women on these boards. I say, if you like Mac, there's no reason you can't post on a Mac board.

When I wrote that message I was mainly blowing off some steam in regards to the "relax, ladies, I'm talking about my sig" quote. I've never been able to put up with those kind of comments. The only guys I know who say things like that are hopeless schmoes who think making VERY thinly veiled comments about their genitalia is a way to get people to like them and think that they're "cool." I pray for the day when these kind of comments will finally die out.

Anyway, I am really sorry about the way my post sounded. I hope you all will understand.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2001, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
<STRONG>But I liked my old sig...</STRONG>

AWESOME SIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

malson
Senior User
Nov 9, 2001, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
<STRONG>
AWESOME SIG!

</STRONG>
Of course, your sig doesn't fit the "pic and 2 lines of text" guideline now does it?

This is rediculous...
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2001, 12:39 PM

I'll try and show off my new sig (this better work!).

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Nov 9, 2001, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
<STRONG>The dimension restrictions make everyone else happy. I want to read the text of a post, not have to scroll past the same old 400x400 sig image everytime some user posts. Animated sigs are distracting and also not allowed.</STRONG>
Originally posted by Sine:
<STRONG>All the sigs should be stored in the cache anyhow.. I don't know what the big deal is. Buncha sig nazis </STRONG>
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2001, 05:01 PM

Mods. You have done a poor job of enforcing these new sig guidelines. As I remember you only removed ONE persons sig and it was only 6k and not even that big.

Guess you are not playing favorites are you.

Not that I care but it makes you look like hypocrites.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

johnny_hotrod
Dec 7, 2001, 08:41 PM

OK. My sig was too large, and now I can't access it. It is grayed out in y profile. How can I get it back???

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 09:23 PM

ok I conform! (almost)

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: FulcrumPilot ]
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2001, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>Mods. You have done a poor job of enforcing these new sig guidelines. As I remember you only removed ONE persons sig and it was only 6k and not even that big.

Guess you are not playing favorites are you.

Not that I care but it makes you look like hypocrites.</STRONG>
letsee. last figure i heard a couple years ago there was approximately 16,000 users on the macnn messageboards (this was about 6 months ago). im sure the dozen or so mods (who volunteer their time) are perfectly able to enforce this rule to all those users. maybe they need to work some OT or something, huh?

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Dec 7, 2001, 11:26 PM

Okay I conform as-well here's my new signature (in case your'e wondering it's the Sistine Chapel Cieling scaled down to 1 pixel x 1 pixel)

Mike

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2001, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>Okay I conform as-well here's my new signature (in case your'e wondering it's the Sistine Chapel Cieling scaled down to 1 pixel x 1 pixel)

Mike

.</STRONG>
wow! i made that my new desktop! it looks a little pixelated though...hmm..

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2001, 02:17 PM

my signature is too large, yet is reasonable. under a kilobyte, not animated, etc

why are the guidelines so strict? I have no idea
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2001, 03:25 PM

Min sig cool right

Chjeers Edd

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2001, 04:02 PM

Oh my God...this is the slowest thread in existence...and another piece of advice...try not to link your images from your lame Yahoo, Excite, Xoom, Geocities, Mac or other bandwidth weak provider...get your own domain...

Sine
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2001, 05:08 PM

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 07:45 AM

Text: No more than 4 lines of text.............
fair enough

Or no more than one image and 2 lines of text..........
yup!

The filesize restrictions make modem users happy......
as a modem user i find the huge 1280x960 screeshots that people post slightly more of a pain to d/load than the average sig. perhaps a policy of linking to any graphic larger than 640x480 might be more useful?

The dimension restrictions make everyone else happy......
as can be seen from all the posts complaining about them

I want to read the text of a post, not have to scroll past the same old 400x400 sig image everytime some user posts.....
why such an arbitrary width restriction then? it doesn't take any longer to scroll past a 300x40 sig than a 140x40 sig. [tho' obviously you need some width restriction as a 1000 pixel wide sig f**ks up the formatting of the text in the posts]

Animated sigs are distracting and also not allowed....
that's pretty subjective isn't it? maybe the rest of us can cope with reading on a screen while other things are animating. you can walk and chew gum at the same time, can't you?

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Dec 10, 2001, 01:51 PM

This is an image of the old regulations inlayed within the new one. As you can see, the new regulations are a fair bit larger. No one seemed to notice this. People instead decided to attack me for "taking away their freedoms." It was partly my idea to increase the accepted dimensions. Some sig images had been getting out of control, so I threw this thread up to clarify what our position was. Nevermind that everyone glosses over the fact that it's bigger than Misha's stipulated size. When Misha instituted the 35x110 regulation, only a few people complained. You know why? Because he had shut off sig images for a few weeks (might have been a month, i forget) due to abuse. People were happy to get the ability back, they didn't worry as much about the size restrictions. But now we're all a bit spoiled, aren't we.

No matter what the size restrictions are, some people will complain. Why? Because they like to complain. They like to "fight the power" in the name of their constitutional right to do whatever they damn well please. This is not to say everyone that complains about this is believes that. There are many well reasoned responses above. But even if I changed the restrictions to 100x500 tomorrow, someone would scream out "censorhip! let the sigs be free! you dirty nazi!" That's another thing. Those that lump the pixel restrictions of their forum signature image in with the same category as the slaughter of millions of people aren't helping their cause. I find it offensive and absurd. We ask people politely to change their sigs if we find them outside the acceptable range (or indecent). Yet people still cry fowl and reserve their right to post any image they want to. You know what, you don't have that right. We've been pretty nice about all this. Some of you have just blown it out of proportions in an attempt to cause a fuss and draw attention to yourself. Cuz hey, who doesn't want to be a "fight the power" rebel?

We might change the pixel restrictions in the near future. We've been debating it for some time now. In the meantime, here are some hard and fast rules for you to ponder:

1) height is definitely more important than width. if we changed anything, it'd be the width restrictions.
2) the less than 10k rule isn't going to change. despite what some would have you believe, they don't stay in cache forever. some of us do a lot of web browsing, thereby displacing the old cache with new material.
3) animated is never going to be allowed. it is visually distracting. i'm here for the text of the messages on the boards. anything else is extraneous.
4) if someone posts an inline image (not in their sig) that's too big, we typically ask them to make it a thumbnail or just a link. this is both in consideration for modem users, and to make sure the image doesn't prop the window open.
5) there's nothing wrong with size restrictions. if you can't figure out something to put into a 40x140 box, then put some text in your sig instead.
6) if we don't have rules about dimensions, then whenever a user is asked to change his/her sig image, they'll say "hey, username29188 didn't get asked! his is huge and ugly!" that'll only perpetuate the idea that favoritism is in play. btw, there is no favoritism in this at all. people who were asked to change their sig were asked because we noticed their image and realized it was out of bounds. some people were asked several times and still did not comply. then they turn around and call me a nazi for politely asking them and not locking their profile. fair huh.

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2001, 02:07 PM

Much love Demonhood..... god knows I couldn't deal with these morons in the fair and timely manner you do. Nothing seems to please them or awaken them to the fact that this is a privately owned and operated Bulletin Board. They have no "rights" here.

The current size is more than enough space to create a distinct and individual image. If you can't create anything good in a small space then I'm willing to bet anything you create in a larger space is going to suck ass as well.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 02:25 PM

demonhod

one word: humour.

if you read the a lot of the posts or look at the sig images you alluded to with the"slaughter of millions of people" comment you might find that several people's tongues are firmly in their cheeks on this subject. i know i personally don't give a f**k whether we have sigs or not. it's just a not very sensible argument i contributed to. chill out!

sek929

there isn't much happening in the mac world these days. that's why the lounge is taking a hell of a lot more hits than usual. people haven't really anything sensible to discuss but are just 'dropping in' out of habit having an argument a debate and/or a laugh with fellow MACNN members.

it is this 'dropping in' out of habit rather than necessity that keeps the sufficient hits coming in which in turn allows MACNN to sell the [larger than 140x40 and animated!] banner ads which adorn every page and bring in the money.

perhaps you should ponder this before before you go too far down the "you should be grateful to be allowed in here" path.

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2001, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>Much love Demonhood..... god knows I couldn't deal with these morons in the fair and timely manner you do. Nothing seems to please them or awaken them to the fact that this is a privately owned and operated Bulletin Board. They have no "rights" here.

The current size is more than enough space to create a distinct and individual image. If you can't create anything good in a small space then I'm willing to bet anything you create in a larger space is going to suck ass as well.</STRONG>
Here Here!!!! Tell them who's boss!!

cheerios
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2001, 02:58 PM

Father OCN, love the 2nd part of your sig... props to the original author.

Demonhood... just remember we all love you!!
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2001, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>Father OCN, love the 2nd part of your sig... props to the original author.

Demonhood... just remember we all love you!! </STRONG>
I think I'm in love!

Forum Links
Forum Rules