Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is it possible to copy a cd in windows xp without multiple drives

Is it possible to copy a cd in windows xp without multiple drives
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 03:05 AM

someone told me it wasn't is it true?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2005, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
someone told me it wasn't is it true?
You can use Nero or Toast and duplicate CDs with a single drive. Alternatively, you can make an ISO of the CD and burn it.

macaddict0001  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 03:26 AM

okay so you can with the os.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2005, 03:46 AM

yes and its the better way, Ever since CD Burners have surpased 16x its always been better to only use one drive. Direct CD to CD over 16x has a higher failure rate if the CD Rom cant keep up. On my 52x I can copy, burn a CD in 5 minutes.

And its not a OS issue either, its what ever burning software you use. Windows XP built in burning capabilities dosent duplicate CD's, it lets you burn files to CD. For music using Windows Media Player it rips from CD then burns back to CD.

You can use Nero Burn, Roxio Easy CD Creator, Blindwrite, Alcohol 120% as the most popular ones. I personally like Blindwrite the most, it was the first to get past Blizzards CD Protection and is one of the few that makes complete 100% duplicates including bad sectors. Nero and Easy CD Creator correct bad sectors by defualt.

That capability has been around since 1998
( Last edited by Athens; Apr 10, 2005 at 04:07 AM. )
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2005, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
You can use Nero Burn, Roxio Easy CD Creator, Blindwrite, Alcohol 120% as the most popular ones. I personally like Blindwrite the most, it was the first to get past Blizzards CD Protection and is one of the few that makes complete 100% duplicates including bad sectors. Nero and Easy CD Creator correct bad sectors by defualt.
Just out of curiosity, why would you want/need the bad sectors?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2005, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want/need the bad sectors?
The copy protection on Diablo II which as far as I know was the first to use this method, which is bad sectors the installer and the game checks for to make sure the CD is authentic. Most CD software would correct bad sectors automatically which is why it was such a hard game to duplicate orginally. I think it took 3 weeks before it was cracked, one of the longest in recent history for something so popular. Usally it takes days.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules