Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Isaac Asimov, which ones to read and in which order...

Isaac Asimov, which ones to read and in which order...
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 05:22 AM

Which books by the author Isaac Asimov would you recommend, and in which order should I read them.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2005, 06:02 AM

Do NOT start with any of the Foundation books!!! They are heavy, deep and LONG. Great stuff, but I'd get my feet a bit wet before diving in that deep. Try "I Robot" first. After the robot stories, look into novels like "The Caves of Steel." After several of his novels, you should be ready for his Large Works.

And don't skip over his nonfiction. "Asimov on Numbers" is a collection of articles he wrote about numbers, math, and related issues (like playing bridge). It's wonderful stuff, and you really get to know the author and "his voice" in these articles.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jul 16, 2005, 07:28 AM

Another nice non-fiction read by Asimov is “A Choice of Catastrophes”. Absolutely packed with interesting info.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 04:58 PM

If you are young enough, you can read the six Lucky Star books. sam

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 05:56 PM

he wrote a lot of great short stories. I would start with some of those collections. Often they are a good introduction to his 'worlds', as well as being just darned good.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2005, 06:43 AM

The man wrote about everything, so it depends upon what you're interested.

Me? I'd suggest that you start with the early robot stuff. Then do the R. Daneel Oliwaw stuff. Then, if you're still grooving on it, try the first Foundation book.

It's all good. Enjoy!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Do NOT start with any of the Foundation books!!! They are heavy, deep and LONG. Great stuff, but I'd get my feet a bit wet before diving in that deep. Try "I Robot" first. After the robot stories, look into novels like "The Caves of Steel." After several of his novels, you should be ready for his Large Works.

And don't skip over his nonfiction. "Asimov on Numbers" is a collection of articles he wrote about numbers, math, and related issues (like playing bridge). It's wonderful stuff, and you really get to know the author and "his voice" in these articles.
As a matter of fact the Foundation series were the first books I read by Asimov. The first books are very easy reading IMO - the very first book is a series of short stories. He was writing them for a science fiction magazine that published one chapter or so in each issue.

The reason I picked up Asimov in the first place was the Foundation series, so that is the reason why I started with them. The plot twists are nice sometimes and that's what makes the Foundation so fun to read. The plot and characters themselves are easily forgettable. There are some exciting moments.

I have not read 'I Robot' or 'Caves of Steel' so I can't compare them to the Foundation, but I can say that IMO the Foundation was really easy to read. Maybe its just me. I thought the Da Vinci Code was so hard to read I gave up after three chapters.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
As a matter of fact the Foundation series were the first books I read by Asimov. The first books are very easy reading IMO - the very first book is a series of short stories. He was writing them for a science fiction magazine that published one chapter or so in each issue.
It's not that they're "hard to read" as such. They are simply not as smooth as his other work. I think they are great books full of great stories, but it seemed to me that they were uneven-probably because the first one is so episodic. Not a problem to read, just not as "comfortable" to read.

I should also have cautioned about "The Gods Themselves," which is just plain weird. A great book, but weird. It reminded me of Phillip K. Dick's "Ubik," but not quite so out there.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 10:36 AM

Let me suggest a "new" book instead by Robert Heinlein. Baen books has just (July 2005) issued a 700 page paperback reprint of "Expanded Universe" that contains short stories, political essays, and strong opinions all written by a contemporary of Asimov. sam

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jul 17, 2005, 11:15 AM

I feel that "I, Robot" is a very good introduction to Asimov's writing style and storytelling style. If you like that, I don't see anything wrong with reading the Foundation series after that.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by parallax
I feel that "I, Robot" is a very good introduction to Asimov's writing style and storytelling style. If you like that, I don't see anything wrong with reading the Foundation series after that.
Yep, that's great advice.
Originally Posted by SVass
Let me suggest a "new" book instead by Robert Heinlein. Baen books has just (July 2005) issued a 700 page paperback reprint of "Expanded Universe" that contains short stories, political essays, and strong opinions all written by a contemporary of Asimov. sam
More great advice. Heinlein is one of my favorite authors, (and he knew and worked with Asimov during WWII by the way), and Expanded Universe is a book that just doesn't get old for me. I reread it again about a year ago-still great.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 09:51 PM

Most of his short story collections are good to start with, but I think his nonfiction is even better. He also wrote some pretty good mysteries...search for "Tales of The Black Widowers".
( Last edited by Macola; Jul 17, 2005 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added info)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

macaddict0001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 09:52 PM

Thanks, I picked up several books after looking at them in chapters.

Forum Links
Forum Rules