Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > What to charge? Selling a single image.

What to charge? Selling a single image.
Railroader
Banned
Aug 28, 2010, 07:48 PM

I have been recently contacted by an individual to purchase one of my images I have posted in my flickr account. I have only done small person-to-person sales of portrait work and have no basis what to charge for a single image.

Here is the message I received (edited to protect the not so innocent):

I am interested in your great panoramic image of the XXXXXXXXX (Flickr: joaooliveira's Photostream), and would like to purchase a one-time use of your image. I work for xxxxxxx, a consulting firm in Indianapolis. All of our conference rooms are based on xxxx, and have wall displays that correspond to xxxxxx.

We are updating artwork in some of these conference rooms, which is where your photo comes in. Is there any possibility you would be willing to sell the use of your image? This would be for a single use, and you would retain all rights to the image.

I would like to discuss this with you. My email is xxxxk@xxxx or you can call me at xxxxxx or you can reply to this message.

Thanks,
xxxx
Could someone provide me with a realist number I could offer? I was thinking around $500.

Thanks in advance

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 07:51 PM

Don't make the first offer. Ask him what the picture would be worth to the company. Let them set the bar.

If it comes in lower than $ 500, say that it is not enough. If it comes in higher, more profit for you

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 08:08 PM

I wouldn't trust someone named xxxx.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 08:13 PM

Yeah, and what kind of company puts xxx pics on their walls ?

-t

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 28, 2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Don't make the first offer. Ask him what the picture would be worth to the company. Let them set the bar.

If it comes in lower than $ 500, say that it is not enough. If it comes in higher, more profit for you

-t
Is this a standard procedure? I don't want to do something unprofessional.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Is this a standard procedure? I don't want to do something unprofessional.
I don't think so, but you are not a professional photographer (i.e. doing it for a living), IIRC.
Aren't you involved with non-profit organization (see below why I'm asking).

I think the best solution would (of course) be if someone who is *IN* that trade gave input on what could be asked for or not.

If you don't get anything, why not be open and tell the guy that you don't do photography for a living, but rather, do it for non-profits. Then ask him to make an offer.

If it's too low, go ahead with your demand, and explain, that this would be sort of a donation to the non-profit. That might take the edge off of asking for a much higher price, and sort of show that it's not just about you making a large profit.
Actually, why not outright tell him that you wouldn't want money, but a donation to charity xyz.

I dunno if that's all practicable, I'm just talking here w/o having enough beers

-t

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 28, 2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't think so, but you are not a professional photographer (i.e. doing it for a living), IIRC.
Aren't you involved with non-profit organization (see below why I'm asking).

I think the best solution would (of course) be if someone who is *IN* that trade gave input on what could be asked for or not.

If you don't get anything, why not be open and tell the guy that you don't do photography for a living, but rather, do it for non-profits. Then ask him to make an offer.

If it's too low, go ahead with your demand, and explain, that this would be sort of a donation to the non-profit. That might take the edge off of asking for a much higher price, and sort of show that it's not just about you making a large profit.
Actually, why not outright tell him that you wouldn't want money, but a donation to charity xyz.

I dunno if that's all practicable, I'm just talking here w/o having enough beers

-t
I am a missionary primarily, but I also dabble semi-professionally in a lot of other areas such as photography. I have done quite a few paid portrait shoots, but that was very simple to structure cost-wise with clients. I also use my photography as a ministry in itself by doing at-cost shoots for single mothers and other members of occupational ministry who cannot afford a professional photographer.

There's a lot of pricing information for basic portrait photography. The area I am ignorant in is regarding business to business pricing structures.

The profits will go to me directly, I use all my photography revenues to buy beer*... err I mean more photography equipment. I also use it as an excuse to visit locations I wouldn't normally go for on-location shoots such as weddings or locations clients have chosen that are dear to them. But primarily the reason I am into photography is for the artistic outlet and I am a people person by nature.

*Actually stopped drinking alcohol in 2006

Thorzdad
Aug 29, 2010, 08:57 AM

It sounds like they want your pic strictly as an office decoration, and not for any other use or reproduction. So, what would you charge for a print?

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 29, 2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It sounds like they want your pic strictly as an office decoration, and not for any other use or reproduction. So, what would you charge for a print?
They sent me another message requesting the purchase of the RAW digital files so the may develop the image themselves. It sounds like they want a wall-sized image. I have no experience with selling such a large image, the largest image I have dealt with so far was a 20x30. For that I would charge $150.

Thorzdad
Aug 29, 2010, 09:40 AM

I have a friend who is a semi-professional photog. If you can get the size that your client is going to print the image at, I can ask him what he would charge. My friend is also based in Indy (small world, eh?), so he will have some feel for the local going rates.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 29, 2010, 10:11 AM

It sounds like the final image will be about 4' tall and about 8' wide.

andi*pandi
Aug 30, 2010, 08:41 PM

So let's see this picture!

You could also go to Getty Stock Art for some ideas on pricing. No less than $300 certainly.

When I bought professional non-stock photography I know each photo was about $2000.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 31, 2010, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
So let's see this picture!

You could also go to Getty Stock Art for some ideas on pricing. No less than $300 certainly.

When I bought professional non-stock photography I know each photo was about $2000.
I sent an offer for $330 this morning. Waiting to hear back from them.

Here's the image: The full sized version is pretty impressive, but you can imagine why I don't want to post that anywhere right now.

( Last edited by Railroader; Aug 31, 2010 at 01:05 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
but you can imagine why I don't want to post that anywhere right now.
Because the Colts lost against the Packers last week, they'd rather have a picture of Lambeau Field ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules