Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Cisco takes over Linksys

Cisco takes over Linksys
Dougmc
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 02:48 PM

I'm hopeful that this will create better support for Macs by the Linksys products.

I'm currently using their 54g wireless hub and a wireless bridge; however, it's been a hassle to install�not impossible.

Read this news!
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 20, 2003, 11:16 PM

Very interesting indeed. Unfortunately, Cisco has not shown that they are terribly interested in supporting their own consumer-level products very well. Perhaps they'll find a different focus once they start supporting Linksys products.

Further, I haven't found a big issue with dealing with Linksys tech support. Mainly, I haven't needed them, since I have been able to get things working just fine using the manuals that come with the products and the Linksys forum on Broadband Reports.com. I'm sure that a lot of people have had need of calling Linksys tech support, and I've heard and read enough horror stories of people getting bad information, incomplete information, and just plain dumb information, that I completely believe that there's a big problem with their phone bank tech support. On the other hand, they have employees that directly support the Broadband Reports forum, and these people are far from first line phone answerers.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2003, 01:40 AM

mmm, tech support horror stories.

/me calls up linksys tech support
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 21, 2003, 05:04 PM

See http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=151695 (and please continue this thread there, since that thread already has more comments in it).

But the sum of what I said in that thread: take one half-baked networking gear company, add it to another half-baked networking gear company, and we'll likely end up with an even worse one.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules