Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport and static IPs?

Airport and static IPs?
Stingrey
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2003, 03:36 PM

Just wondering, I've tried a few times but have not been able to configure static IPs on my airport setup... I have a dsl service with 5 static IPs, and the best I can do is hook my wife's computer up with a 10.x.x.x IP, and my laptop as well when I disconnect from the actual ethernet. In other words, I go airport, I go 10.x.x.x also. Since I have 5 static IPs (and since I want to do some port forwarding and get my web serving on wirelessly :) first ? is, is this possible? 2nd ? is... vague... Any pointers? I am going to back up the config, try again, and hopefully if I fail again there will be some good pointers here as usual. Thanks, and sorry if this question has been posted before!

Rey :)

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2003, 04:18 PM

All I had to do differently was NOT distribute IPs. I tried originally to set the basestation to distribute my 5 static IPs, and maybe that is possible, but after setting it to not do that, I'm ok with my bad static self. The only prob I have now is that when I try to play with config on basestation now, it says "error reading config file" whereas a second ago it worked fine. Anyone else have probs where you can't config all of a sudden 'till you reboot the basestation?

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 04:28 PM

To me, the most important question is: Why are you paying for 5 IPs in the first place? The whole point of Airport (and cable/DSL routers in general) is to share one IP with all your machines.
You're gonna have difficulties config'ing the ABS, as it is on a different subnet than your computer. Again, sharing a single IP would eliminate this problem.

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2003, 04:43 PM

Well, to start with, they don't sell single static IPs. To access the webserver that I like to block off to one of the 5 IPs, we have required (in both the hardware and software firewall) a predetermined IP be allowed access. For the sheer security purposes of it, our server is only able to be accessed by a few different IPs, depending on the service that is being accessed. I don't want to use my wireless connection to access and admin the server, just thought it would be cool since I HAVE 5 static IPs to set up each computer on its own IP. You are right, with port forwarding I could just forward web to one computer, etc. If I want my wife's computer to have a live page though, thought that with static IPs I could get creative and set up subdomains to point to both her computer and my own to be viewable when online.

Aside from the reasoning behind why one would want to do something as dumb as what I have chosen to do, does anyone have any suggestions on the "error reading configuration file" problem I've gotten myself into? The config works fine, but I can't change it now if I can't access it. That being said, port forwarding and such are not something I can toy with as I intended. I am seeing a couple of articles out there stating as you are stating that with different subnet info, there is inconsistant accessibility to the config file, etc. Anyone know of a way (besides hard reset and reconfig) to get in and view config if you are getting this error for some reason? I've tried accessing from the two different boxes, no go.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 04:53 PM

Change the IP of the machine you are currently on to be on the ABS's subnet, either manually or via DHCP from the ABS.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 05:00 PM

Or better yet, assign one of the IPs you're paying for to the ABS. Then you could share that IP with certain machines and assign static IPs to others. As long as all you paid IPs are on the same subnet (which I assume they are) you'd be set.

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2003, 08:27 PM

Your last suggestion though is how I had it to begin with. You see, I only have 5 static IPs to work with. The Airport is set up on its own static IP, but instead of only using that one IP, I wanted to set up the basestation to route the static IPs to the computers instead of each computer having a 10. I got that to work fine, but had problems editing the config file as stated. You were right though, that setup just was more difficult than required.

My NEW question still involving static IPs...

Current setup:

dsl modem
cable goes to 5 port hub
hub has two connections...
1 goes to powerbook
2 goes to airport

Since the basestation has an in and out port built in, can I set it up like this:

dsl modem goes to airport
airport out runs to powerbook

airport still has one static IP
powerbook still has another static IP?

In other words, can I remove the hub easily and have airport broadcast to my wife's Sage and my Powerbook when I roam about but still have a static IP passed through the basestation?

Rey :)

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Stingrey:
Your last suggestion though is how I had it to begin with. You see, I only have 5 static IPs to work with. The Airport is set up on its own static IP, but instead of only using that one IP, I wanted to set up the basestation to route the static IPs to the computers instead of each computer having a 10.
The thing is, with static IPs, you don't need (or want) the Airport to give your machines IPs. Instead go to System Preferences > Network and select Manually from the Configure option under Ethernet/Airport (depending on how that machine connects). Now just fill in the fields... IP Address: just pick one for each machine, subnet: 255.255.255.0, Router: whatever static IP you gave the ABS and finally DNS Server: get this from your ISP or look for it in the Airport config s/w. You can also just try putting the ABS's IP in the DNS server field, which would probably work. You'll also have to tell the ABS to not get an IP via DHCP, and instead assign it one. At this point, make its' subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

My NEW question still involving static IPs...

Current setup:

dsl modem
cable goes to 5 port hub
hub has two connections...
1 goes to powerbook
2 goes to airport

Since the basestation has an in and out port built in, can I set it up like this:

dsl modem goes to airport
airport out runs to powerbook

airport still has one static IP
powerbook still has another static IP?

In other words, can I remove the hub easily and have airport broadcast to my wife's Sage and my Powerbook when I roam about but still have a static IP passed through the basestation?

Rey
OK, i haven't really digested this next question, but I think it is moot after my response above. Correct me if I'm wrong.
A couple things though...
The ABS has a WAN and a LAN port. These are not in and out ports. Basically, the WAN port connects to the internet and the LAN port to anything else.
As far as the hub is concerned, yes, you can (please!) remove it. If you need more ports, a switch is far better than a hub. A hub is a dumb splitter; a switch will keep everything going to the correct ports. To be honest, I really don't know what hubs are good for, but I do know what problems they can cause.

Forum Links
Forum Rules