Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > battery indicator is acting up

battery indicator is acting up
IntelliVince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 04:36 AM

I have a Tibook 667DVI and a problem I've been noticing is that when I use my laptop only on battery, the power drops to about 38% and my computer automatically goes to sleep. My first question is, is it normal for it to sleep at 38%? I know it's supposed to shut down when the battery is low, but I thought it was lower than 38%.

Afterwards, I charge my battery and I've noticed that when the power gets to about 66%, it jumps up to 100% and says the battery is charged. I have reset the PMU, reset the PRAM and the problem is still there. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how I may go about solving it? I dont have time now but I am assuming it's b/c of 10.3.3 and I may reinstall Panther stopping at 10.3.2 and see what happens. But if anyone knows of a solution that doesn't require reinstalling everything, which is pain, then I'd greatly appreciate it.
I also know that by using my powerbook until it goes to sleep and recharging is a way to recalibrate my battery. Another question I have about recalibration, after I drain my battery and my computer goes to sleep, do I have to leave my computer asleep while it's recharging? So far I've been recharged w/it on (mainly listening to iTunes while I study) and noticed that the percent jumps. Please help!
Most of the time you gotta do it
yourself!

Powerbook G4 667

azarel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by IntelliVince:
I have a Tibook 667DVI and a problem I've been noticing is that when I use my laptop only on battery, the power drops to about 38% and my computer automatically goes to sleep. My first question is, is it normal for it to sleep at 38%? I know it's supposed to shut down when the battery is low, but I thought it was lower than 38%.

Afterwards, I charge my battery and I've noticed that when the power gets to about 66%, it jumps up to 100% and says the battery is charged. I have reset the PMU, reset the PRAM and the problem is still there. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how I may go about solving it? I dont have time now but I am assuming it's b/c of 10.3.3 and I may reinstall Panther stopping at 10.3.2 and see what happens. But if anyone knows of a solution that doesn't require reinstalling everything, which is pain, then I'd greatly appreciate it.
I also know that by using my powerbook until it goes to sleep and recharging is a way to recalibrate my battery. Another question I have about recalibration, after I drain my battery and my computer goes to sleep, do I have to leave my computer asleep while it's recharging? So far I've been recharged w/it on (mainly listening to iTunes while I study) and noticed that the percent jumps. Please help!
Hey, did you post the same topic in Apple Discussion forums? http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Anyway I'm having the same problems too...Sent my PB to my local apple service centre and they concluded that my battery is faulty and its a software issue too. Their advice is to reinstall OSX and that is definitely something that I'm trying to avoid until there's evidence that it'll solve the problem.
My very first mac: ^_^
Powerbook 12" Rev A 40gb 640mb

IntelliVince  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 02:31 PM

wow, I guess I am not the only one. Thanks for posting that link! Hopefully there will be a definite answer soon so we can all get our powerbook batteries running smoothly again.

If I decide to do a fresh reinstall, I would be doing it after April 17 (MCATs). Hopefully there will be a simple answer by then, but I guess it's nothing serious at the moment. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out in the forums.
Most of the time you gotta do it
yourself!

Powerbook G4 667

azarel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2004, 08:22 AM

Glad it helps...hopefully a solution will be out in a few weeks time...reallt irritated with PB sleeping on me at 45%!!!!
My very first mac: ^_^
Powerbook 12" Rev A 40gb 640mb

Forum Links
Forum Rules