Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > BT500 bluetooth mouse not working

BT500 bluetooth mouse not working
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 04:52 PM

Last week i bought a BlueTake BT500 that worked great, didn't have any problems with it. Last night, the the blue light under the scroll wheel started blinking intermittently (every 10 seconds or so) which it hadn't been doing before. Today, it started skipping around a bit and then it stopped responding completely to movement. The buttons still worked (if i moved the pointer with the trackpad and then clicked with the mouse, that worked). un-pairing and pairing the mouse again fixed the issue. just now, the same thing happened. it stopped responding to movement, and then a few seconds later the 'Connection lost' icon came up on the screen. Now, when i go to pair it in the bluetooth setup assistant, it can't find the mouse. No combination of turning the mouse on and off or pressing the button on the bottom of the mouse will get it to show up. When i turn on the mouse the blue light blinks a couple of times per second but the red light stays off. Does anyone with this mouse know of anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks,
Max

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 05:01 PM

Well i got it to work for a minute, but then it stopped again. I turned it on and it paired and started working, but the movement was still very jumpy and then it stopped responding to movement again (the LED next to the sensor was on but very dim) and so i turned it off and it wouldn't pair again when i turned it back on.

PLin
Aug 14, 2004, 05:04 PM

Doesn't the blinking blue light mean that the batteries are getting low? That could explain the behavior of the mouse.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by PLin:
Doesn't the blinking blue light mean that the batteries are getting low? That could explain the behavior of the mouse.
maybe, but uh.. the thing is a week old, and i turn it off every time i'm away from the computer for more than an hour. i'd hope that the batteries last longer than that. i'll try a fresh pair, though.

thanks for the suggestion.

edit: new batteries, and it seems to be working. must've gotten a bad pair with the mouse. i guess it may be more economical to invest in a set of rechargeables. anyway, thanks!

PLin
Aug 14, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
maybe, but uh.. the thing is a week old, and i turn it off every time i'm away from the computer for more than an hour. i'd hope that the batteries last longer than that. i'll try a fresh pair, though.

thanks for the suggestion.

edit: new batteries, and it seems to be working. must've gotten a bad pair with the mouse. i guess it may be more economical to invest in a set of rechargeables. anyway, thanks!
I thought Bluetake ships the mouse with NiMH AAA rechargeables.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 07:31 PM

I thought Bluetake ships the mouse with NiMH AAA rechargeables.
their site says NiMh but it comes with regular alkaline AAAs (Energizer brand, though)

fanchee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2004, 09:23 PM

I have this mouse and when the light starts to blink, it means you need to replace the batteries.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 10:01 PM

yeah, i found that out, but this mouse is so new that it never even crossed my mind that dying batteries would be the cause of the issues i was having. Hopefully this new set will last longer than a week

PLin
Aug 15, 2004, 02:04 AM

Battery life is going to depend a lot on use. If you use the mouse all day long, then changing the batteries once a week isn't unreasonable. Also, AAA batteries don't last as long as AA batteries. The Macally BTMouseJr and Kensington PocketMouse Bluetooth use AA batteries, and the battery life is usually good for a month give or take a week or two depending on use.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 12:34 PM

Battery life is going to depend a lot on use. If you use the mouse all day long, then changing the batteries once a week isn't unreasonable. Also, AAA batteries don't last as long as AA batteries. The Macally BTMouseJr and Kensington PocketMouse Bluetooth use AA batteries, and the battery life is usually good for a month give or take a week or two depending on use.
I used it an average of about 5 hours a day during that week, and turned it off overnight and whenever i left the computer for more than an hour or so.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 10:31 PM

man, bluetooth sucks up batteries. one week later and the blue light is blinking again. I think it would be wise for me to invest in some rechargeables...

boysss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 09:05 PM

I have a radtech BT500 mouse as well. I have only used it for 3 days and the blue light is blinking now. The mouse starts to acting weird. The pointer is erractic, keeps moving even when my mouse is stationery. 3 days to drain a pair of full charged AA batt. Thats not impressive at all. And one more thing, my mouse is not balanced, it wobbles all the time, kinda annoying, I might have to whittle the 4 base nodes. ;-/

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2004, 01:54 AM

I've had one for six months now, under continuous use. The batteries fade after a week and a half. Then the mouse moves erratically. I've gotten so used to it, I just replace the batteries when I start noticing a lag in the mouse. It's been great on my 17" AL PB. I have a pad over the mouse edges and the Blue Take works great in the area next to the touch pad.
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules