Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Heat Issue

iBook Heat Issue
SkyEye05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 02:39 AM

Hey,
I am a Windows user switch over to Mac and am very pleased! But I do have one issue with my iBook G4 14'' (my first apple computer) it gets hot during extended periods of use, it doesn't matter what I am doing, it gets hot enough to the point where there are now heat marks on the bottom of my laptop! It is really kind of bothersome! If any one else has had this problem or has any suggestions it would really help thanks!

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 03:21 AM

er, unplug your battery now - as in NOW - and check out the thread about replacement batteries. yours could be about to blow...

sminch

SkyEye05  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 03:40 PM

It is not the battery. The heat is coming from the other side of the laptop, and like I said in the ordinal post there are now heat marks on the bottom. I will see if i can get pics up later.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 04:47 PM

if it's not the battery then that's probably a good sign, but no way should there be heat marks on your ibook. i'd take it back and ask for a new one, for sure. if it's hot enough to cause marking then it'll be hot enough to catch fire or at least burn you, i'd have thought.

sminch

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 01:57 AM

Yeah Apple is having a battery recall for 12" iBooks & 12" and 15"PowerBooks but I don't think the 14" iBooks were included.

Is your iBook still under warranty?

If it is, you should take it to your local Apple Service Provider or Retail Apple Store and have them check it out.

My brother's 12" iBook is under constant use and it doesn't leave heat marks or feels too hot to touch.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 23, 2005, 04:02 AM

Definitely take it to an Apple shop and have it checked/replaced soon. iBooks getting pretty warm is normal, but iBooks getting too hot to touch or developing heat marks is WAY too much.

Didn't your fans kick in at some point at help the ibook to cool down?
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

SkyEye05  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2005, 08:08 PM

I don't know I can't decide if the fans are kicking in or not, how loud are they? If they are I don't here them at all!
Thanks to all those who have helped. I am going to go my local Apple dealer.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 10:18 PM

You might want to download an app like Temperature Monitor (search macupdate.com or versiontracker.com). I have never heard the fans on my 14" ibook although the temp for the "Graphics Processor Die" has reached about 130 degrees. At that point the HD area feels warmer than anything else, but nothing is too hot to touch by any means.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 24, 2005, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by SkyEye05
I don't know I can't decide if the fans are kicking in or not, how loud are they? If they are I don't here them at all!
Thanks to all those who have helped. I am going to go my local Apple dealer.
You'd know the fans kicked in when they do, they pretty much cannot be missed. I get them rarely on my 12" ibook 1.2 when I have been running some program with continuous disk usage (e.g. limewire) for hours (!), then the left palm rest area (i.e. HD) gets pretty warm/hot and the fans kick in.
(To help circulation I tend to put something under the corners of my ibook to lift it up some and help airflow under the ibook while the fans remove the inside heat. They stay on for some minutes and then the temp is back within no-fan range.)

Good luck with getting your iBook back in shape!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

galarneau
Senior User
May 24, 2005, 07:07 AM

I'd like to see some photo's of those heat marks on the bottom of your iBook.

tokyomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ambassadeur
(To help circulation I tend to put something under the corners of my ibook to lift it up some and help airflow under the ibook while the fans remove the inside heat. They stay on for some minutes and then the temp is back within no-fan range.)
Having got my first iBook (12") a few weeks ago I did get slightly worried about the heat generation; nothing extreme, but I mainly work with it on a desk all day and the desk beneath was getting surprisingly warm. Not having a fancy stand or anything I've put a couple of thin CD cases underneath for airflow, and I haven't noticed the fans coming on since. Touching it right now the underside, particularly below the HD is noticeably hotter than the flat areas on top.

SkyEye05  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2005, 10:02 PM

I downloaded Temp Monitor and I have been using my iBook for about 30 mins and the processor heat is around 130F. Does any one know where is it supposed to be?

Also I am trying to post pics and can't figure it out. Can anyone help?
( Last edited by SkyEye05; May 24, 2005 at 10:08 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules