Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Messed up Terminal, it won't load to a prompt... Any help appreciated.

Messed up Terminal, it won't load to a prompt... Any help appreciated.
Stingrey
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2005, 08:22 PM

Basically this is what I have now where "process completed" is where it stops. if I ctrl + c quick enough, it quits what it's doing before it fails where failure here is indicated by NO command prompt coming up anymore:

Last login: Tue Jun 14 19:04:53 on ttyp2
/Users/stingrey/Desktop/rundns-unix-bundle-0.81/rundns-macosx-0.92/install; exit
UNwelcomeD! If you do not belong, turn back NOW!
IP... Logged
OS... Logged
DT... Logged
HR... Logged

You have new mail.
[xmac:~] stingrey% /Users/stingrey/Desktop/rundns-unix-bundle-0.81/rundns-macosx-0.92/install; exit
tcsh: /Users/stingrey/Desktop/rundns-unix-bundle-0.81/rundns-macosx-0.92/install: Command not found.
logout
[Process completed]

Basically to cause the above I ran a DynDNS app which is indiicated as being for OS X from DynDNS.org.... What happened after that is the same as the above, except that at that point I had another terminal open and worked with it for a bit to try and figure out why my attempt was not working. Either way, now ANY terminal even after a restart (old Windows habit) same issues. Tried clearing the tcsh_history files of the /long/command/install; exit thing from history and STILL every new Terminal after restarting the app/OS, etc fails with the command. Where is it stored and how can I remove that from happening so I can just get back to normal again? I tried everything I could think of, but I'm too inexperienced with my *nix based OS to fix it :( Any help HIGHLY appreciated!

Rey :)

leira
Jun 15, 2005, 02:37 AM

takin a blind stab here but try editing the "ExecutionString" of your ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist file to look like this:
Code:
<key>ExecutionString</key> <string></string>

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2005, 06:09 AM

Great stab! I'm reset and was able to finally get a prompt again. I owe you big time! Thanks again! Off to work now... Guess I better keep my day job

Rey

Forum Links
Forum Rules