Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does Windows make people dumber?

Does Windows make people dumber?
budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 12, 2005, 02:12 AM

Seriously:

I've noticed that Windows users have a problem with preciseness, and of course you have the other side of the coin with Mac users who sometimes tend to be a bit pedantic.

For instance, in another thread one person mentioned the "command key" is the "command key" not the "apple key". True, but it does have an apple on it... When I tell people about that key I mention the "command key / apple key" just to give an option, which is not to say it's the option key as that is next to it.

Now then, to continue with my thesis further. Windows seems like an aproximation operating system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, so much so, that the people who use it seem to take on it's characteristic flaws. Has anyone else noticed this? Other side of the coin for Mac users. Why is that? I find myself losing my patients with people who obviously use Windows. I can tell by speaking to a person, they use Windows, or Mac OS X.

Consider this a place to rant if you wish as well, or give me your personal findings. Either way, am I missing something? Or, am I just getting it...?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 02:53 AM

I honestly think Windows teaches people to live with what they have, and not go look for something that is better.

MM-o4
Senior User
Sep 12, 2005, 03:08 AM

is dumber even a word??

MM

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by MM-o4
is dumber even a word??

MM
it's a perfectly cromulent word.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 12, 2005, 06:17 AM

Actually, computer use, not dependant on brand, makes people dumber. Just like television, Hollywood and the popular music industry makes people dumber, too.

It's a proven fact.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
I find myself losing my patients with people who obviously use Windows. I can tell by speaking to a person, they use Windows, or Mac OS X.
I find your lack of precision as appalling as your "thesis".

Maybe you should start using a Mac - I hear it makes people smarter.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 07:27 AM

Seriously:

I've noticed that Windows users have a problem with preciseness, and of course you have the other side of the coin with Mac users who sometimes tend to be a bit pedantic.

For instance, in another thread one person mentioned the "command key" is the "command key" not the "apple key". True, but it does have an apple on it... When I tell people about that key I mention the "command key / apple key" just to give an option, which is not to say it's the option key as that is next to it.

Now then, to continue with my thesis further. Windows seems like an aproximation operating system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, so much so, that the people who use it seem to take on it's characteristic flaws. Has anyone else noticed this? Other side of the coin for Mac users. Why is that? I find myself losing my patients with people who obviously use Windows. I can tell by speaking to a person, they use Windows, or Mac OS X.

Consider this a place to rant if you wish as well, or give me your personal findings. Either way, am I missing something? Or, am I just getting it...?
First of all, the proper word is precision.
Secondly, it's not spelt "aproximation", but approximation.
Thirdly, its characteristic flaws, not "it's."
Finally, I didn't know you were a doctor, and I'm profoundly sorry about your patients, but that aside, I'd say you make some excellent points.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 09:11 AM

Seriously:

I've noticed that Windows users have a problem with preciseness?
I think rather its your prejudice towards windows and windows user coloring your opinion.

While there are certainly inconsistencies with windows, you certainly can find inconsistencies with the Mac, from Apple apps no less. Additionally for both platforms you find people who fail to know the depth and breadth of their applications and the OS.

PCs and Macs are a tool (or a toy) and they fit a need. For some a PC fits a need better then a Mac. Take Autocad, you need to use autocad but it isn't available for the Mac.

I've found both intelligent and not so intelligent people using PCs and the same can be said for Macs. I'm going to get flamed for this but I've found more uptight holier then thou people using Macs then PCs. They view many people who use a PC as the uneducated unwashed masses.

Most people don't care that they use a PC, just that it runs their software.

Mike

esXXI
Senior User
Sep 12, 2005, 02:59 PM

Wasn't there a kind of research study that showed Mac-based forums members have a much larger vocabulary than those of PC-based forums?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by MM-o4
is dumber even a word??

MM
Yes. It's a fully accepted adjective.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2005, 04:16 PM

My friends know me as someone who rarely puts up with any BS out of the products I buy. Andy (one of my best friends) was so amazed one night while I was using my Mac that he said "your computer is your bitch."

Thats the difference, Windows makes the user its bitch.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 04:21 PM

Has anyone else noticed this? Other side of the coin for Mac users. Why is that? I find myself losing my patients with people who obviously use Windows. I can tell by speaking to a person, they use Windows, or Mac OS X.
Man, it sucks when you lose patients, what hospital do you work at?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 04:31 PM

I don't think it's so much that Windows makes people dumber. Rather, if you're smart, you choose not to use Windows . Also, Windows makes its users look dumb by being so condescending ("It looks like you're writing a letter!").

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by buggsuperstar
Are you saying that Windows users go through a process of dumbening?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2005, 05:03 PM

Nah, Macs just make people smarter, by not getting between their ideas and the expression of them.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

SVass
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 05:22 PM

Seriously:

Consider this a place to rant if you wish as well, or give me your personal findings. Either way, am I missing something??
The "apple" key started out as a game button, then graduated to an "open apple" key and finally to the "command" key. The "option" key was game button 2, then "closed" apple key and finally option. Look at an Apple II keyboard. Some people still say "ice box" instead of refrigerator and talk about "dialing a telephone" . sam

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 05:27 PM

On various occasions, and for different reasons, I've called the Command key "the command key", "the Apple key", "the meta key", "the open apple key", "the cloverleaf key", "the key next to the space bar", and "the Windows key". The option key might be "the option key" or "the alt key" or "the meta key". Also, since I sometimes use Apple keyboards with PCs, I've called the Windows key "the Apple key" since, well, it has an apple on it.
( Last edited by Tesseract; Sep 12, 2005 at 06:06 PM. )

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 05:38 PM

I hate people who have this personal vendetta against Macs even when they don't ever use them...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2005, 06:14 PM

Mac users are not more precise, they are more pedantic. And yes, that was me who mentioned that the correct name for this ⌘ key is "command" key.

MM-o4
Senior User
Sep 12, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by buggsuperstar
love it! Not a day goes by where I quote the simpsons

MM

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 07:47 PM

This is THE thread that people expect to find at a Mac Forum... :

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2005, 07:51 PM

Dvorak told me that it was a "strange, clover-like key that is difficult to use".

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 08:04 PM

Seriously:

You're missing something. Let me guess...15 years old?

At least the crowd is somewhat split here so there is hope for the Mac community.

I'm a long time Windows user & Mac lover. I'm always amazed by the "Mac guy" who makes ignorant, insulting comments about a person or group just because they use a different OS running on different hardware….or maybe with a different color skin? In most cases, these folks have no clue what they're talking about and are just repeating the same tired old BS that they heard somewhere else. Rarely, do they speak for personal experience or any experience at all. The same folks are SOOOO offended if anyone dares to criticize Apple in any way.

I’ve been a hard core “computer geek” for a long time. I have built many systems and I’ve used every version of Windows. I can’t say that I have ever owned a system that was unstable or problematic. I know it happens, just not for me. I’m also fascinated and very open to every non- windows OS, that’s what brought me here. . I….dare I say…like Windows. I have just grown to like OS X more.

I wasn’t even going to reply to this crap but Mike & some of the other intelligent Mac users inspired me.

Listen to yourselves:

“Nah, Macs just make people smarter, by not getting between their ideas and the expression of them.”

“Thats the difference, Windows makes the user its bitch.”

“I honestly think Windows teaches people to live with what they have, and not go look for something that is better.”

You guys talkin’ to me? What a bunch of crap.

OK, I just realized I’m taking this a bit too seriously. Thanks for the invitation to rant. I’m goin’ back to my PC to look at some spyware, viruses and blue screens while I’m waiting for my Dual 2 GHZ G5 to arrive. ☺

Please forgive the typos, spelling & grammar, I’m a Windows guy.
( Last edited by Thade; Sep 12, 2005 at 08:10 PM. )

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2005, 08:11 PM

Not a day goes by where I quote the simpsons
really? i find that i do it quite often.

sminch

ps - sorry, just being pedantic. or precise. but i could care less.

pps -

Now then, to continue with my thesis further.
the period after 'further' should probably be either a "-" or a ":", and i'm pretty sure that the "further" in there is redundant (can you continue it without going further?).

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, so much so, that...
the comma after "so much so" should not be there.

ppps - i use a windows machine at work and a mac at home, so i'm not sure what this makes me. i'm at work now, so i guess i'm being less pedantic than i would be if i were typing this at home. scary thought...

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 08:24 PM

lol

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 08:45 PM

I find Windows users are scared to use the Computer for more than e-mail or web browsing or word processing. I just set up my old iMac as an iTunes terminal in the youth room at church. Everyone looked at me thinking stuff like, why not just use a CD changer, or a CD player. But with iTunes I have way more options and I can lock things down more securely! (My user is the only one with write permission, everyone as has their own libraries, and there is one major one that all the music will be played form, which will get all the other play list info from other users using the rendevouz sharing option of iTunes!).

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Sep 12, 2005, 08:51 PM

Great responses. The difference between myself, a Windows user of almost two decades and now a happy Mac user of several and this thread is this. I've been working 3 straight 12 hour shifts, and I don't care about online posts and how acurate they are. I've said this before, so I'm not bothering with being pedantic like a am at work, but some have proved my point that Mac users are indeed pedants.

If this is a post expected in this forum, fine, I'm oke with it. I meet Windows users all the time who are filled with bullsh!t that I have to correct when we talk, and they almost always still don't believe...

Windows is indeed the dark side, and Mac is the anti-Windows-matter.

Correct away you pedantic peons.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 09:03 PM

This thread has learned me good.

MM-o4
Senior User
Sep 12, 2005, 09:18 PM

Sorry 'sminch' meant to type "Not a day goes by where I DON'T quote the simpsons"

I want a guitar that like, double guitars.

MM

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 09:41 PM

Great responses. The difference between myself, a Windows user of almost two decades and now a happy Mac user of several and this thread is this. I've been working 3 straight 12 hour shifts, and I don't care about online posts and how acurate they are. I've said this before, so I'm not bothering with being pedantic like a am at work, but some have proved my point that Mac users are indeed pedants.

If this is a post expected in this forum, fine, I'm oke with it. I meet Windows users all the time who are filled with bullsh!t that I have to correct when we talk, and they almost always still don't believe...

Windows is indeed the dark side, and Mac is the anti-Windows-matter.

Correct away you pedantic peons.

...never mind...

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Sep 12, 2005, 09:43 PM

Y'all are my b!tches. Now get back to work.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 09:46 PM

You assume we were ever at work?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2005, 10:15 PM

I will submit that use of ANY technology one does not understand at all, let alone thoroughly, makes anyone dumber.

Anyone here have a VCR whose clock is not somewhere near the current time? Why? Is it really that hard to set a VCR clock? Or to not set fire to the popcorn in your microwave? Or just about anything else that takes a little thought-it's NOT rocket science (and I HAVE done rocket science, which ain't that hard either).

I do agree that there are a bunch of Windows users that are a few bricks shy of a load, but you run into them more than the Mac users that fall in that same category because there are just a lot more of them because of the sheer numbers of Windows users. They have the advantage of a much larger population, so you're obviously going to find more of them that are less than stellar minds.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 10:23 PM

In this thread, so far only 10 out of 31 responses are from morons and I only counted the original poster once even though all of his replies qualify.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I find Windows users are scared to use the Computer for more than e-mail or web browsing or word processing. I just set up my old iMac as an iTunes terminal in the youth room at church. Everyone looked at me thinking stuff like, why not just use a CD changer, or a CD player. But with iTunes I have way more options and I can lock things down more securely! (My user is the only one with write permission, everyone as has their own libraries, and there is one major one that all the music will be played form, which will get all the other play list info from other users using the rendevouz sharing option of iTunes!).

You could do all this with the Windows version of iTunes too.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2005, 10:36 PM

Salty has a point; a lot of Windows users know they can hose up their computers. But most of them do not know HOW they might do that-they just know it is possible. It sure is, and as a really and for truly Computer Scientist, I can show them how to hose it up so bad that they'll never even touch a digital thermostat again! But with all that fear, this class of Windows users does not TRY to learn how NOT to screw up.

My sister has a HP desktop she uses for surfing and pictures and such. She's not a computer guru at all, but she has a good head on her shoulders, and nobody will EVER get away with telling her she can't do something. Because of that, she's not affraid to use her computer, and she knows that there are a bunch of things she should not mess with, so she doesn't. That's all it takes.

My dad took a class in computer use so he could stay in touch with me and my brother (we're a pretty spread out family), and by the end of it he was helping his classmates as much as the teacher was. Dad's 73 and a retired electrician, so it's not that he's some high tech wiz-but he's at least 50% responsible for my sister not accepting anyone's word that she can't do something. Dad surfs and emails and keeps up with photos and such, but he uses his computer as a tool and knows his limitations with that tool. Sadly, my family is somewhat exceptional in this.

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 11:00 PM

You guys need to get out more. Did ya know there are forums just like this for Windows users? You're gonna find people who have problems no doubt. You're also gonna meet many peeps that are the master of their system and OS. I don't "know I can hose up my system" I'm quite confident that it's gonna rip through everything I throw at it.

It really isn't a whole lot different than what you find here: Kernel Panics, Grey Screens, odd noises, sleep problems out the wazoo, feezing, etc. There's some serious denial that these issues actually exist in the Apple world. Some Apple users even work up the guts to actually open their computer because switching the RAM and pressing the PMU button can fix just about anything

Cubeoid
Baninated
Sep 12, 2005, 11:40 PM

yes

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thade
You guys need to get out more. Did ya know there are forums just like this for Windows users?
Sage wisdom here. Yes indeed. And you'd be surprised how LITTLE Mac-Bashing goes on in these Windows forums.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 01:43 PM

I think, people who choosse to use windows, spend way too much time, resources and effort troubleshooting windows, and therefore less time doing actual tasks in everyday life (learning, researching, playing, exploring, reading, experiencing).

Basically we got 24 hours a day, i reckon windows users spend more time in front of their screens trying to get work done than Mac users, and thefore less time doing other 'real' stuff.

I dont know how brains work or are supposed to work, but personally, after about 2-3 hours i dont really absorb anything. So if i spend more time learning about an Operating System and why it isnt doing something it was supposed to do and trying to troubleshoot it, i have less brainpower to learn and do the research i was supposed to do in the first place. And thats a bad thing.

Obviously you got 'experts' on both sides of the fence..... chances are it's their job to know the OS in n out, and it's worth their while to fish out problems,etc. But for the rest of the majority, they shouldnt have to waste their time, resources, brainpower and effort into getting a system to do the work it was supposed to do. Just my opinion of course.

I chose the Mac as a computer user, a student and a developer. As a student we used Solaris....so i was already spending ample amount of time in front of a computer screen. My friends who owned Wintel boxes, spent most of their time outside the classroom in front of their screens....gaming and troubleshooting mostly. I got sick of staring at a computer screen and TV for a large part of my day, therefore i chose the Mac, to get the job done efficiently with high production values, and more importantely have time for everything else i wanted to do with my life.

Cheers

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Sep 13, 2005, 01:45 PM

Look at James. He's actually more ignorant but thinks he's smarter. I believe that was my initial point.

I remember doing more work to my Windows PC than on it. Reverse that for my Mac. Ditto the rest from the above post.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Sep 13, 2005, 02:04 PM

dumb stuff
The starter of this thread has proven that a mac user can even be dumberer than a windoze user.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2005, 02:28 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules