Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery is dieing!

Battery is dieing!
cbk1994
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2007, 04:37 PM

Hi, I'm attaching an image from coconutBattery. My battery seems to not last as long, but I wasn't sure why until I checked conconutBattery. Look at the screenshot. I've only had this laptop since december, and I almost always have it plugged in!

Help please! Did I get a faulty battery?

I have a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB RAM. Tell me if you need any more information.

15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2007, 04:55 PM

Having the battery charging nearly all the time can be harmful to it. I don't know if it can cause that amount of cycle wear you've seen, but it will cause some inordinate amount of loss.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cbk1994  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Having the battery charging nearly all the time can be harmful to it. I don't know if it can cause that amount of cycle wear you've seen, but it will cause some inordinate amount of loss.
I meant that it is almost always plugged in, not charging. Sorry if I was unclear.

cbk1994  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
I meant that it is almost always plugged in, not charging. Sorry if I was unclear.
I called the tech support guys and they told me to calibrate it, though I don't think that will change the batery capacity? I'm going to try, help is greatly appreciated still!

fongyuen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 07:35 PM

hey cbk, i had the same "problem" with my 2.33 mbp. i bought it in nov. and by june, it was down to 2900 something capacity. i took it to the apple store and the guy told me that under 300 cycles, the battery should retain around 80% of it's original capacity. he took my battery out, went to the back presumably to do a check on it, came back and gave me a brand new battery. so take it to the store and see what they say.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2007, 11:19 PM

You're definitely experiencing wear above and beyond the norm (which, as fongyuen said, should be no lower than 80% capacity w/ < 300 cycles). I imagine Apple will replace it if you have Applecare, assuming you first go through the calibration process (which seems to be Apple's panacea to any and all battery issues - see this thread).

However, leaving the MBP plugged in for an extended period of time can be harmful even if not charging. Apple recommends using the battery once and awhile to, as they put, "keep the electrons moving occasionally."

btw, I'm not sure you need have downloaded the above app, all of that information is readily available in the System profiler (in the Utilities folder) under "power" on the left hand side.

highstakes
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 12:17 AM

On the Coconut battery program, is the "Age of your Mac" based on when the computer was made, or when you first logged in?

cbk1994  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
On the Coconut battery program, is the "Age of your Mac" based on when the computer was made, or when you first logged in?
I'd assume when they installed Mac on it in the factory ... In any case, I checked for battery recalls, and mine doesn't apply to any recalls that I know of. I'll try taking it to an Apple Store and seeing what they say.

Forum Links
Forum Rules