Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Classic 9 issue

Classic 9 issue
redalert51
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2007, 11:03 PM

I have downloaded some software,and for reason
they require to have pre install classic 9 to be more precise
I get an alert Cannot find Classic 9 system folder on your
OS X I find this to be a real annoyance,we have all
head updating our system,not reverse ?,

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2007, 11:53 PM

What type of computer do you have? If it's a Macbook Pro, you're out of luck - Intel Core Duo based macs cannot run classic (i.e. Mac OS 9 and earlier), as classic was an entirely different architecture (hence "classic") then OS X, and was never made Intel-compatible (it's 6 years old anyway).

If you have a powerbook of some sort, you can install classic (though you'd have to find a copy of OS 9 on eBay) - but it puts an entirely separate and frankly dated OS on your system. Once you do that, however, Mac OS X is capable if running OS 9 in the so-called "classic environment," essentially running OS 9 within OS X itself.

What software are you trying to run? To be honest any software that hasn't been updated to OS X code is probably not worth running anyway, as it's clearly out-of-date and forgotten from a development standpoint (it would sort of be like writing software that only runs in Windows 98). And at any rate I suspect that you could find (or we could help you find) software that will do what you want in OS X.

One final note - it'll be much easier to help you if you take the time to review your posts for clarity and coherence.

redalert51  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2007, 06:28 PM

I have a PowerBook G4.and yes you are correct on all counts.

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 08:39 PM

Yeah, then find OS 9 on eBay. Though, if your PowerBook came with Jaguar, OS 9 should have come on the system disc to support Classic. I know it did on my eMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules