Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which to Buy: 2.2Ghz vs 2.33Ghz?

Which to Buy: 2.2Ghz vs 2.33Ghz?
CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2007, 11:57 AM

so...here's the deal. My mom and dad bought a Macbook Pro for me to replace my aging 1.67 AlBook. (Stiill going though, along with my Ti and two Pismos! Good luck with that on a Dell.)

I'd showed them the refurb page, which is what I usually buy, however between when I showed it to them and when they looked at it the 2.33s that I'd referenced were sold so they bought a 2.2Ghz MBP instead.

Here's my question: Theres a good chance that I may have to send it back anyway depending on whether it comes in with a Matte or Glossy screen (they didnt pay attention to which they got). Obviously I'm not complaining about a gift, however since I may be doing that anyway AND they have 2.33's again, are there any big differences between the two models that I'm missing? It appears they have different graphics sets, with more VRAM, and the slightly slower DVD.

I'm assuming theres SOME reason they cut these out of production, but maybe thats just because they were too close in spec to the 2.4s.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 03:16 PM

2.2GHz has LED lighting for the screen!
iamwhor3hay

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 03:40 PM

The 2.2 is newer generation and accepts max 4 GB RAM as opposed to the 3 GB of the 2.33 that I own. 33% more RAM is likely to be significant down the road, depending on your apps. For graphics (Apple's Aperture, Adobe apps) more RAM is a big deal. I would choose the 2.2.

-Allen Wicks

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable View Post
2.2GHz has LED lighting for the screen!
ohh, cant believe that I missed that minor detail. great then. ditto the max RAM capacity, I know the 2.2 is latest generation but I wasnt aware of that particular difference. yet another reason that I love the 'NN. Most everywhere I've worked I'M the power user that everybody asks things of but around here its great to be able to soak up info from people even more knowingable.

Guess I'll keep the 2.2 spec, now just have to decide between matte and glossy. I know better than to ask for opinions on that one.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2007, 09:02 PM

Here's another vote for the 2.2.

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
Guess I'll keep the 2.2 spec, now just have to decide between matte and glossy. I know better than to ask for opinions on that one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules