Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Building a crazy center channel speaker, on the cheap!

Building a crazy center channel speaker, on the cheap!
GodIsPretend
Banned
Dec 7, 2006, 12:24 AM

So I had this dispenser project.... I need a center channel... viola. It dispenses SOUND. ha. So I picked up two of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=297-427

HI-VI B3S 3" SHIELDED ALUMINUM DRIVER SQUARE FRAME

and one of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=275-035

DAYTON ND20FB-4 REAR-MOUNT 3/4" NEODYMIUM DOME TWEETER

and a 59 cent crossover designed for two 8 ohm woofers and one 4 ohm tweeter, which crosses over at 5khz.

Bam. Under $25, for all the parts. The required material for the dispenser was plastic, so for the front panel I used 3/8" thick acrylic.... but I wound up on a fairly untraditional cabinet design. Using a wood lathe, I made a fairly large wooden 'dome', which had a diameter similar to the plastic front panel. I then used modeling foam, bondo, and a bunch of primer to extend the horn out to the side. I then vacuum formed some polycarbonat over this shape, onto the front panel, which I beveled with a router. The vacuum form makes a very precise fit, so once I cut them apart, it snaps together... final construction will be acrylic solvent, silicone, and lots of clamps. The enclosure is EXTREMELY strong, I jumped on it and it didn't budge. The two woofers will be mounted horizontally, so they'll kinda appear to make a '69' or 'pisces' type shape on the wall, with the tweeter nestled in between them. Pictures to come in a few days.

Please share your speaker building experiences here!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 12:28 AM

Hey Rob.

GodIsPretend  (op)
Banned
Dec 7, 2006, 12:31 AM

Wassup Gossamer. Happy holidays, merry xmas, all that jazz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules