Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Someone told me that I should find a new job.

Someone told me that I should find a new job.
Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2007, 10:09 AM

While we were discussing the location of the new building; I was telling the new mail clerk that it would be further for me that it would take over a hour to go there. I was trying to be positive and told her that it was feasable. She then told me are you ready to relocate, the new building is not in Edmonton, it is going to take longer to get to work that is all. I told her that I did not want to sacrifice my social life for work. She then told me that since I was not ready to relocate that I should find a new job.

What do you think?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2007, 10:31 AM

I think that if you love your job you will want to stay and won't mind having a long commute. But if you don't like the job, then get a new one.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2007, 01:21 PM

" I told her that I did not want to sacrifice my social life for work. "

This says a lot.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2007, 02:08 PM

Why should you have to relocate if you can still commute just fine? There's a lot of reasons for staying put besides social life... the hassle of moving, you like the place/neighborhood, etc.

See, if you were here in the US, we'd just continue working there until someone let that bias of not relocating fire us. Then we'd sue.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 02:19 PM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 02:28 PM

I think it is a good idea. you sound very unhappy at your current job.

Are you only reluctant to leave because of the guy that works there that you are in love with?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 02:43 PM

I live 40 miles from my place of employment. I've gotten used to the distance, and aside from the huge amount of money spent on gasoline, it's really not that bad.

Good luck!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Thorzdad
Mar 26, 2007, 02:56 PM

I did a one-hour one-way commute for several years. I does get to be a grind. Doubly so if traffic is terrible. Think about it...two hours a day in commute, minimum. That's ten hours a week. An extra work day spent in traffic.
It all comes down to that personal life/work balance. Some people live to work. Others work to live. The rest of us just want to pay the bills.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2007, 03:00 PM

My mail clerk never talks to me. I guess I'm secure in my job and don't need to find a new one.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 03:29 PM

1 hour commute one way is rather long unless it is a damn good job. My limit is set at 45 min one way by public transport or I find another job.

Thorzdad
Mar 26, 2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
1 hour commute one way is rather long unless it is a damn good job. My limit is set at 45 min one way by public transport or I find another job.
Unless you're in a major city, I'm afraid public transportation is a joke.
I was commuting in to Indianapolis from a couple of counties away. Nothing but crowded Interstate. But, even if you lived in the city, the bus system there is so @%#$ limited as to be useless for anything beyond a commute to downtown from a neighborhood near downtown.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2007, 03:55 PM

Sounds like you need to decide what is more important to you. Your social life or your work life.

My perspective is this, I don't know anyone who at the end of their life wished they spent more hours at the office. For me, work is a means to an end (the end is supporting and being with my family). So much so, that when my prior company decided to relocate ( which would have made my commute 2 hours as opposed to 20 minutes), I decided to find a new job.
Michael

Rumor
Mar 27, 2007, 01:30 AM

Work to live, not live to work.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 27, 2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
My mail clerk never talks to me. I guess I'm secure in my job and don't need to find a new one.
Awesome.

MM-o4
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Work to live, not live to work.
here, here.

-MM-

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by MM-o4 View Post
here, here.

-MM-
there, there

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
there, there
Everywhere, where

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Everywhere, where
Everybody, everybody.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Unless you're in a major city, I'm afraid public transportation is a joke.
I was commuting in to Indianapolis from a couple of counties away. Nothing but crowded Interstate. But, even if you lived in the city, the bus system there is so @%#$ limited as to be useless for anything beyond a commute to downtown from a neighborhood near downtown.
I am thinking the same way, and I live in Toronto. I'm looking for a new house, but I am trying to avoid a commute that is longer than 45 minutes by car to my current work, or else to other potential places I could work. Right now my workplace is less than 30 minutes from my house by car, and that's driving through city streets. It's close enough that I can even ride my bike to work in the summer.

My GF used to commute 1.5+ hours to work and back each day. Basically her life consisted of:

1) Get up in the morning
2) Have breakfast
3) Commute to work
4) Work
5) Commute back home
6) Cook dinner
7) Eat dinner
8) Go to bed

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 12:54 PM

I can't imagine what I'd do if I forgot my cell or had to come in briefly on a weekend at work with a 45 min+ commute.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 27, 2007, 01:19 PM

Yeah. My commute HAS to be under 30 minutes. Preferably more like 15. That said, I'd do a 1 hr commute this summer if I landed a badass internship.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I agree, but not 100%. Everyone that doesn't live where they work has a commute. Just because you have a 1 hour vs. my 30 minutes (I walk to work). it's more like 4 hours a week wasted. And it's only wasted if you sit there doing nothing.

When I had a 1 hour commute for a while. I learned to listen to books, I brushed up on my basic French... listen to music (relax) etc.

I found driving to be very therapeutic... when there wasn't traffic.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I am thinking the same way, and I live in Toronto. I'm looking for a new house, but I am trying to avoid a commute that is longer than 45 minutes by car to my current work, or else to other potential places I could work. Right now my workplace is less than 30 minutes from my house by car, and that's driving through city streets. It's close enough that I can even ride my bike to work in the summer.
I think that public transport in (central) Toronto is pretty darn good, compared to other North American cities. The streetcar takes 20 minutes from my house (Dufferin and Dundas) to my office (University and Dundas), so I am not complaining. When I'm driving it's down to 15 minutes. I'd like to cycle to work, but a: we have no showers at work and b: Toronto drivers are too damn dangerous.

I never get people who live out in Mississauga or Woodbridge and then insist on driving to work every morning. Nightmare.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 27, 2007, 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=Mastrap;3338450]a: we have no showers at work and b: Toronto drivers are too damn dangerous.
/QUOTE]

1. Don't pedal so hard.
2. Stay sharp. I successfully avoided any accidents biking to work all summer last year, every day, on a very crowded busy street in Milwaukee.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I think that public transport in (central) Toronto is pretty darn good, compared to other North American cities. The streetcar takes 20 minutes from my house (Dufferin and Dundas) to my office (University and Dundas), so I am not complaining. When I'm driving it's down to 15 minutes. I'd like to cycle to work, but a: we have no showers at work and b: Toronto drivers are too damn dangerous.
When you're on a bike for commutes, you learn how to ride defensively, and you learn which streets are safer too.

BTW, I think public transport in Toronto is OK by North American standards, but also that public transport in North American cities in general just isn't that great. It's good for you though since you're right on the streetcar lines.

P.S. As a driver, I despise streetcars.

I never get people who live out in Mississauga or Woodbridge and then insist on driving to work every morning. Nightmare.
Well, I can definitely understand. A large house in many places in Toronto is often roughly twice the price as one in the 'burbs or more.

And when your already talking $500000+ for a big house in the 'burbs... A 2500 square foot home in mid Toronto may go for over $1.5 million.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 27, 2007 at 01:37 PM. )

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 01:39 PM

If you have a long commute just listen to podcasts or audiobooks. Problem solved.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
If you have a long commute just listen to podcasts or audiobooks. Problem solved.
Not really. It's just a diversion. If you'd rather be doing other things with your time, then it's still a problem.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Yeah. My commute HAS to be under 30 minutes. Preferably more like 15. That said, I'd do a 1 hr commute this summer if I landed a badass internship.
I'm on the same page.

I just interviewed for my internship for the primary Substance Abuse Treatment hospital within 100 miles. It'll be nearly an hour commute, but it'll be worth it. The problem is if they offer me a job afterwards...
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Forum Links
Forum Rules