Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Star Wars...what order?

Star Wars...what order?
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 05:40 PM

If a person has never seen any Star Wars movies, which order would be best to watch them in? 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 4,5,6,1,2,3?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 05:43 PM

for me, i'd go 123456, since u would really want to see 4 after 3

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 05:44 PM

1-6 if you've never seen them.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 05:46 PM

After watching 1, no one is going to want to watch the rest.

It has to be 4,5,6,1,2,3

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 05:59 PM

123456, its the way the story goes. Some things make a lot more sense in 456 after you've seen 123, so they should be watched in 123456 order, just me...

Enjoy

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 06:09 PM

For all those suggesting 1-6:

The climax of the entire series is finding out Vader's true identity in 5! If you watch 1-4 first, then what's the point...sitting there in 5 going "ah look, Luke is going to freak when he hears this."

For those of you who grew up "knowing" what happened in 5, it may not seem like such a big deal, but for those of us who learned about it in the theater, it was a sublime moment.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by saddino
The climax of the entire series is finding out Vader's true identity in 5!
Which you just gave away.

I saw SW, episode 4, before I was even a teen. But with as much media saturation as there is these days, not too many people don't know who Vader really is.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by saddino
For all those suggesting 1-6:

The climax of the entire series is finding out Vader's true identity in 5! If you watch 1-4 first, then what's the point...sitting there in 5 going "ah look, Luke is going to freak when he hears this."

For those of you who grew up "knowing" what happened in 5, it may not seem like such a big deal, but for those of us who learned about it in the theater, it was a sublime moment.
hmmm u have a good argument, i am your father is the crux of the whole thing...why ruin the best (5) for 2 bad ones and 1 ok one?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 07:03 PM

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 25, 2005, 07:10 PM

The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 25, 2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 07:31 PM

4,5,6, the previews for 1 and 2, 3

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 25, 2005, 07:45 PM

4, 1, 5, 2, 6, 3 or 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6

nickw311
Senior User
May 25, 2005, 09:16 PM

I am just starting the series right now and I am starting on 4, I am going to do 4, 5, 3. period.
27" iMac C2D

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 25, 2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by d.fine
123456, its the way the story goes. Some things make a lot more sense in 456 after you've seen 123, so they should be watched in 123456 order, just me...

Enjoy

I think things just get confused. There are so many inconsistencies between the two series, they should almost be taken in separately.

Like what's up with midicholrians? And why does Obi Wan not know about Leah when he was there for her birth? And why, for that matter, does Obi Wan keep getting fatter after death?

James L
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311
I am just starting the series right now and I am starting on 4, I am going to do 4, 5, 3. period.

Do you mean you have never seen them before? If so, why only do 4,5,3?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 10:04 PM

IIIIIIIVVVI
( Last edited by OwlBoy; May 25, 2005 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Seels you can't type in all caps here...)

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 10:14 PM

3 4 5 6

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 10:33 PM

watch them in the order in which they were released. Part of the fascination with the original trilogy was that the story started in the middle and the OMG revelation from Vader to Luke at the end of Ep 5.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 12:16 AM

any real hard core sw fan? what is the common thought on this issue in the sw world?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2005, 12:23 AM

Watching them in order leaves no surprises.

IV-VI, I-III

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 12:58 AM

456-123 and this should have a poll.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 01:58 AM

456-123 most definitely!

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
any real hard core sw fan? what is the common thought on this issue in the sw world?

seriously

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee

A bunch of people on another board decided that the best actual order was 4,5,1,2,3,6 to maximize the suspense. I don't buy it though. I think it's best to veiw them in the same order that millions and millions of people have... and that's 4,5,6,1,2,3.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 02:07 AM

Do you think 4-5-6 and then 1-2-3 is a coincidence? Obey the way of Yoda you must; mock him you must not.

I think I just channeled SWF/SHS/Hommes Solo.
I, ASIMO.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 02:25 AM

I've already done 1, 2, 3 and am now ready for 4, 5 and 6. I made the decision back in '99 to watch them in numerical order. There would have been no suspense for me as everyone around me talked about the films as if I had seen them, so I know of many of the big surprises already. A shame? Eh, perhaps...

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 12:08 PM

I have a buddy who has never seen any of the Star Wars movies. Neither has his wife. And if they decide to do it, I'm going to suggest chronilogical order (as released, not the movie's timeline):

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back*
Return of the Jedi

Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

*Indicates the best movie of all of them, watch it more than any other

Aside from the speeder bikes, Return of the Jedi was the beginning of the suck. I haven't seen Sith yet, but of course I will. It's the first Star Wars movie I haven't been waiting in line to see the first day. But after the ultra-cheesy "I love you" in the field scene in the last one, I have to hold myself back.

Reasons Empire kicked more ass: Dark themes, finding out the truth about Vader, watching Luke lose his hand, the cliffhanger feel at the end, Han gets frozen, C3PO gets blasted to bits (wish that was Jar Jar), and, of course, the introduction of Yoda.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 01:02 PM

Here is the scary thing, judging by the release of the original DVD's lucas intends you to watch them 123456.

A couple of factors that point towards this is that in ROTJ when Vader is burned by luke the ghost in the end is of YOUNG Anakin. If you haven't seen 2,3 you would have no clue who this young dude is all of a sudden.

Another is the reworked lines in EPSB between Vader and the Emperor.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker

Another is the reworked lines in EPSB between Vader and the Emperor.
I know you Canadians like to use superfluous "u"s everywhere, but I didn't realize Empire was two separate words up north.

James L
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500
I know you Canadians like to use superfluous "u"s everywhere, but I didn't realize Empire was two separate words up north.

Well, to be fair the extra use of U's is the proper way of spelling the words!

However, here we obviously have a case of confusion and misunderstanding. I think Severed Hand of Skywalker was talking about his other favourite movie:

The Empires Pony Strikes Back.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 07:04 PM

I have to say 4,5,6, and then 1,2,3.

The whole episode 5 thing just isn't the same if a person watched it from the beginning.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Here is the scary thing, judging by the release of the original DVD's lucas intends you to watch them 123456.
I'll bet you a Coke that, in the not-too-distant future (hmm, perhaps shortly after the general adoption of HD DVD...ya think?), the Flannel One will release a re-edited six-movie megaset, in chronological order, with the plot inconsistencies ironed out and the absurd spoilers removed from "Sith." So you can, indeed, watch them in "order" without having the plot twists revealed. Until then: DEFINITELY IV-VI, then I-III. Because if you watch "Phantom Menace" first, you may never get to the rest of them.

I've been watching the DVDs of IV-VI trying to figure out where it all went wrong (sidebar: the restoration work done on these movies is fantastic; they look absolutely brand-new), and things definitely started to go to hell in "Jedi." And that being said, "Jedi" is better than any of the prequels. I'll take Ewoks any day over armies of plastic-fantastic CGI Gungans, pointless pod races and future Darth Vaders who chirp "Yippee!"
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2005, 08:57 PM

You are watching two very different series, depending on whether you watch 4-6 then 1-3 or just 1-6. If you watch them 4-6 then 1-3, the climax of the series will be the revelation of Vader's identity. If you watch 1-6, it will be Anakin's actual turn to the Sith.

In any case, I would recommend 1-6, precisely because 1 is so terrible. It is bad to watch it first, of course, but even worse when you consider the near-infinite letdown of watching it after 6. This is not to say that Return of the Jedi is my favorite -actually it ranks fourth for me- but Episode I is just that bad. Better to watch it first, when you can only go uphill, rather than experience that kind of a drop.

It's also worth noting that watching it 1-6 will put 3, 4, and 5 -the three best movies in the series by most standards, though their relative ranking is a subject of fierce debate- back to back. That's more than enough to redeem 1 and 2, especially if you think 4 is better than 3. 6 is still a letdown, but that will happen no matter what you do.

In terms of the climax, it will be an exceedingly rare person who doesn't already know that Darth Vader is Luke's father. Star Wars has become such a part of American culture (and culture worldwide) that even among those who haven't seen the films most people know this much.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Scooterboy
Senior User
May 26, 2005, 09:18 PM

First, try to find an original VHS tape of "Star Wars". That way you get to see the version that everyone saw over and over and over in the Summer of '77. That would be Ep 4. Then see episodes 5 and 6. Then see episode 1, episode 2, then watch Clone Wars chapters 1 - 25, then episode 3. Then re-watch episode 4 (any version), then read "Splinter In The Mind's Eye" by some such cheesy Sci Fi author, then watch episodes 5 and 6. Then, play Star Wars Dark Forces, Jedi Knight (PC), Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC), Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy. Then read that Star Wars novel where Luke turns to the Dark Side and joins up with resurrected Palpatine/Darth Sidious, then read the Jedi Academy trilogy, then read the New Jedi Order series (NYT bestsellers). You can also read the various Star Wars graphic novels, Clone Wars graphic novels, X-Wing novels, Han Solo Corellian Trilogy novels, Children of the Jedi novels, Darksaber, and, if you like History, you can play Knights of the Crusty Old Republic, and pick up a vibrosword or two. Oh, and after you make your first lightsaber, please remember to becareful!
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
In terms of the climax, it will be an exceedingly rare person who doesn't already know that Darth Vader is Luke's father.
True, but there is a difference between knowing a plot point but still giving yourself over to the story, and having that plot point shown to you before it can make its impact in the story. We all knew how "Lord of the Rings" was going to turn out, but Peter Jackson didn't feel the need to add a flash-forward in "Fellowship of the Ring" that showed the One Ring being destroyed.

Episode I really is pretty bad. I just watched it again this weekend, and the only redeeming thing in it is Darth Maul. I rank II and III about equally, because there were a lot of things I liked in II and so many I didn't like in III.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 10:24 PM

My advice, and I'm serious here, is watch 4, 5, and 6. That's it. Don't watch the other three or your brain will hate you. Actually, if you liked the two matrix sequels then go ahead and watch them, but if you didn't, stay away from them at all costs.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoBruin
I've been watching the DVDs of IV-VI trying to figure out where it all went wrong
You'll figure it out...

Here's a hint: "Nub nub"

P.S. They think C3PO is a god...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 04:04 AM

I'm odd and actually think that Episode 1 is a pretty good and enjoyable Star Wars film, but aimed more so at children (Jar Jar can still, though). Having said that, Clone Wars was terrible, and watching Revenge of the Sith, despite the fact it was a great Star Wars flick, wouldn't be as good unless you've seen 4-6 first. I'd cast my vote in with the 4-6 then 1-3 lot.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500
And why does Obi Wan not know about Leah [sic] when he was there for her birth?
It's all part of the same pretense as "Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father." If Obi-Wan revealed that he knew Leia was Luke's sister, it would prompt too many questions at that juncture. As Yoda put it, "... not ready for the burden were you [i.e., Luke]."

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
I'm odd and actually think that Episode 1 is a pretty good and enjoyable Star Wars film, but aimed more so at children (Jar Jar can still, though).
Thank you for saying that. Contrary to the belief of some, Episode I did not suck.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 07:17 PM

3,4,5,6 1 and 2 sucked

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by SamuraiDL
3,4,5,6 1 and 2 sucked
Thanks for the brilliant observation, troll. If you don't like any of the movies, go post somewhere else and don't bother us.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Thanks for the brilliant observation, troll. If you don't like any of the movies, go post somewhere else and don't bother us.

Perhaps his period key is broken. I think he meant that only 1 and 2 sucked.

Samurai, see what happens when you fail to use punctuation?
I, ASIMO.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 08:45 PM

I have 9 less posts than selowitch, how am i a troll and he is not? Oh and 3,4,5,6 were amazing movies, and 1 and 2 sucked. what's going on here? how did i get hear? You may find your self living in a shot gun shack...

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by SamuraiDL
I have 9 less posts than selowitch, how am i a troll and he is not? Oh and 3,4,5,6 were amazing movies, and 1 and 2 sucked. what's going on here? how did i get hear? You may find your self living in a shot gun shack...
I'm not sure if you understand what happened or not, so I'll explain. You wrote, "3,4,5,6 1 and 2 sucked." Since you didn't use proper punctuation, it wasn't completely clear which of the following you meant.
  • (Watch) 3, 4, 5, 6. 1 and 2 sucked.
  • 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, and 2 sucked.
Now we know you meant the former, but selowitch was reacting to his assumption you meant the latter.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
First, try to find an original VHS tape of "Star Wars". That way you get to see the version that everyone saw over and over and over in the Summer of '77.
Screw that, man, THX Laserdiscs only!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2005, 08:12 AM

Proper viewing order: IV, V, VI, I, II, III - the way we all (or most all of us saw them)

Episode Ranking: V, IV, VI, III, II, I.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 28, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
If Obi-Wan revealed that he knew Leia was Luke's sister, it would prompt too many questions at that juncture.
Then why, when Luke leaves his training on Dagobah to fly off and rescue Han, does Obi-Wan say "That boy was our last hope" - prompting Yoda to say "No. There is another." Or are we to believe that Obi-Wan has just forgotten that Leia is Luke's sister?

I'm sorry, but it was a major plot blunder on Lucas's part to have Obi-Wan know that Padme had given birth to twins, when it would have been so ridiculously simple to just have Obi-Wan show up after Padme had died. Yoda could have given him the boy and told him nothing about the girl. I mean, if Obi-Wan knew about Leia anyway, what was the point of separating them? Bail should not have known about Luke, and Obi-Wan should not have known about Leia, if Episodes IV and V are to make any sense.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 28, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BrunoBruin
Then why, when Luke leaves his training on Dagobah to fly off and rescue Han, does Obi-Wan say "That boy was our last hope" - prompting Yoda to say "No. There is another." Or are we to believe that Obi-Wan has just forgotten that Leia is Luke's sister?

I'm sorry, but it was a major plot blunder on Lucas's part to have Obi-Wan know that Padme had given birth to twins, when it would have been so ridiculously simple to just have Obi-Wan show up after Padme had died. Yoda could have given him the boy and told him nothing about the girl. I mean, if Obi-Wan knew about Leia anyway, what was the point of separating them? Bail should not have known about Luke, and Obi-Wan should not have known about Leia, if Episodes IV and V are to make any sense.
I agree with you. However, just to play devil's advocate, maybe Anakin was the other person to whom Yoda referred. That's probably stretching it, but it's possible. If this were a Marvel comic, that'd be my attempt at a No-Prize.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 08:06 PM

4,5,6,1,2,3? because if you watch the "new ones" first you probably would watch the rest

Forum Links
Forum Rules