Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jobs tells Stanford graduates not to waste time

Jobs tells Stanford graduates not to waste time
ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2005, 10:39 AM

The story about his commencement speech can be found here:
http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/06/....commencement/
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...3/STANFORD.TMP

I think he spoke all sage words of wisdom.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 11:09 AM

The serious side of Steve Jobs. Wasn't aware of his beginnings, having been given up by his mother. Sounds like a speech with a lot of pearls of wisdom. Time is not to be wasted.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 11:14 AM

"And that was when he founded Pixar Studios, which created the first-ever computer animated feature film, "Toy Story," in 1995, and more recently released the top-grossing "Finding Nemo" and "Madagascar" movies."

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by TheJoshu
"And that was when he founded Pixar Studios, which created the first-ever computer animated feature film, "Toy Story," in 1995, and more recently released the top-grossing "Finding Nemo" and "Madagascar" movies."
I don't know which mistake I find more humorous. Steve founding Pixar or Madagascar being a Pixar film.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
I don't know which mistake I find more humorous. Steve founding Pixar or Madagascar being a Pixar film.
Word. Someone didn't check their facts.

scchu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 05:34 AM

For those of you who are interested, I have audio clips of the speech itself.

Pass on the joy!
http://www.wiredatom.com/jobs_stanfo...ech/index.html

To the best of my knowledge, this may be the only audio available anywhere on the web.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 01:58 PM

It looks like the environmental wackos didn't like Job's speech that much

Hat tip: Jack Whispers
An environmental group flew a plane overhead protesting Apple's lack of an iPod recycling program

I guess the environmental group didn't get the message that Apple has an iPod recycling program. I also would assume that these protestors don't know that planes are fueled by fossil fuels. DOH!

It was extremist, disruptive, uncalled for (at this venue) and possibly unauthorized as I think college events were placed on a no fly list after 9/11 without authorization from the state. I have a private pilot's license and know this to be true for my home state of South Carolina - California law may be different.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheJoshu
The Madagascar part seems to have been silently removed.

chingwei
Jun 17, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Xeo
The Madagascar part seems to have been silently removed.
Actually, Madagascar was made by Dreamworks (who brought you Antz, Shrek, and Shark Tale), the bitter rival of Pixar (Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles). So Steve had nothing to do with Madagascar!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by chingwei
Actually, Madagascar was made by Dreamworks (who brought you Antz, Shrek, and Shark Tale), the bitter rival of Pixar (Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles). So Steve had nothing to do with Madagascar!
I know that. My observation was that the quoted paragraph, illustrating that misinformation, was silently changed to remove the Madagascar part by the article's author.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 04:40 PM

He actually suggested that they drop out. Too late. Try again next year.
I, ASIMO.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 04:52 PM

I wish my university would get decent speakers like this for our graduation. It's Purdue "tradition" to have our loser president (not Bush) give the speech. zzzzZZZZZzzzz.

chingwei
Jun 17, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Xeo
I know that. My observation was that the quoted paragraph, illustrating that misinformation, was silently changed to remove the Madagascar part by the article's author.
Oops...misunderstood...sorry, never mind.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 05:36 PM

Steve to Graduates: College is a waste of time. Live the moment. Start up a computer company.

Frans
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2005, 05:28 AM

Thank you very much for that, really great!!!!

Originally Posted by scchu
For those of you who are interested, I have audio clips of the speech itself.

Pass on the joy!
http://www.wiredatom.com/jobs_stanfo...ech/index.html

To the best of my knowledge, this may be the only audio available anywhere on the web.
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

Swift
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by tikki
I wish my university would get decent speakers like this for our graduation. It's Purdue "tradition" to have our loser president (not Bush) give the speech. zzzzZZZZZzzzz.
You mean, your university president, not Bush, the loser president? It's just not gramatically clear.

porieux
Baninated
Jun 30, 2005, 03:04 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:45 AM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 08:27 AM

Did anyone notice that he said if he was diagnosed with a particular pancreatic cancer that he would have had 3 to 6 months to live?

From Snopes:
About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2005, 10:44 AM

Wow. I guess I need to find what I love.

Forum Links
Forum Rules