Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Macpro Purchase

Macpro Purchase
dantewaters
Nov 14, 2006, 12:06 PM

I am currently in the process of getting a Macpro.

I need it for video editing I am using a imac core 2 duo 20" 1.5gigs of Ram 250gig HD.
Which I intend to turn over to my graphics department.

I plan on getting the Macpro with 2.66 spec 1Gig of ram, and 160Gig, plus the ATI 1900
this is actually being purchased by someone else (hence my reason for stripping it down).

I was told I should sell my imac rather than hold onto it to distribute the work
and use the money back to help get the MacPro up to snuff (4Gigs of ram 24"dell)

I say keep it and work my way towards the RAM and monitor simply because if I can
share the work it will be less stress, and much smoother operations all round.

What do you all say?

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by dantewaters View Post
I am currently in the process of getting a Macpro.

I need it for video editing I am using a imac core 2 duo 20" 1.5gigs of Ram 250gig HD.
Which I intend to turn over to my graphics department.

I plan on getting the Macpro with 2.66 spec 1Gig of ram, and 160Gig, plus the ATI 1900
this is actually being purchased by someone else (hence my reason for stripping it down).

I was told I should sell my imac rather than hold onto it to distribute the work
and use the money back to help get the MacPro up to snuff (4Gigs of ram 24"dell)

I say keep it and work my way towards the RAM and monitor simply because if I can
share the work it will be less stress, and much smoother operations all round.

What do you all say?
Regardless of what you do with the iMac, you will want more ram in the mac pro, especially for video editing. Its likely that if you sell the iMac (and chances are you'll recover a good portion of its initial cost) and put that money into a screen, ram and raid you'll be better off than with 2 machines.

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

dantewaters  (op)
Nov 14, 2006, 12:29 PM

So you're saying go ahead, because I'll make the money back...
also I will have great success with the added ram and raid?

As oppose to sending it to the graphics section and have them do all my
images, and design. I can for now do without the extras and just bite the bullet?

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dantewaters View Post
So you're saying go ahead, because I'll make the money back...
also I will have great success with the added ram and raid?

As oppose to sending it to the graphics section and have them do all my
images, and design. I can for now do without the extras and just bite the bullet?
If you don't move the iMac to the design department I'm assuming they have computers already that they'll be able to do their work on. If that isn't the case (they need the iMac, or else they'll be sharing your Mac Pro?) then it changes things.

Regardless, you're going to *need* more than a 1 gig ram and a 160 gig harddrive for video editing.

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

dantewaters  (op)
Nov 14, 2006, 01:04 PM

So it boils down to what's necessary... Hmmm even so I'd need more than 1 500gig drive for this system.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 02:17 PM

My $.02 is that you bump up ram, 1 gig is much to meager to do what you're looking for. Based upon what I've been reading, 4 gig seems to be the magic number, especially since using rosetta doubles a non-ub program's memory footprint. As for the drive stick with the smallest drive you can order from apple and then get a larger capacity unit (or units) from newegg. You'll save yourself some money and get a faster drive.
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules