Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > iMac 333 to Epson 777i, over?

iMac 333 to Epson 777i, over?
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2007, 11:48 PM

I have an Epson 777i printer running off an older Airport Extreme Base Station to which I print (wirelessly) from my iBook. On the same desk as the printer I have a 333 Mhz iMac that my daughter uses. She, too, would like to print to the 777i. To do so, I have to disconnect the printer from the AEBS and connect it to the iMac, then back again when she is done. I'm thinking there's got to be a better way.

It seems to me there are two options. I can permanently connect the iMac to the 777i via USB and use a "splitter" (on the 777i end, I would think) to also keep the connection between the 777i and the AEBS (I don't know anything about splitters other than what I've gleaned here, so I have no idea if this is feasible). Or I can leave the 777i connected to the AEBS and network the iMac and the 777i given that the iMac is wired vie ethernet to the AEBS. I'm not sure if this will work or, if it will, how to do it - especially since I am not very familiar with OS 10.1.5, which the iMac uses (it's a G3 w/288 MB RAM and, from what I understand, could not handle Jaguar or above).

Anyone see a solution to this conundrum?

red rocket
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 07:41 AM

Don't know about the rest, but that iMac can definitely handle OS 10.3.9 Panther. It's well worth the upgrade.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2007, 06:28 PM

It's been over a year and a half since I researched this, so my memory is shaky, but doesn't Jaguar require (or maybe just strongly prefer) a G4 cpu and/or a certain minimum RAM (more than 288 MB)? I know I decided not to upgrade the iMac when I was upgrading everything else for a reason like this...

Anyone running Jaguar on a 333 iMac?

(I know, this latter is not a networking question ~ but [in my defense] it did start out as such!)

red rocket
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 07:10 AM

I'm running Panther on a 333 MHz G3 iMac with 256 MB of RAM, and it runs fine, better than Jaguar did, and certainly better than Puma, world of difference. 10.1 kinda sucked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules