Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Getting music off Ipod touch

Getting music off Ipod touch
neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2007, 11:47 AM

Ok so I have a new mac I need to get all of my files over to and being my cheap self I do not want to go buy a cable to do this. I have a new Ipod touch and I was wondering if there was anyway I could get all of my music off of it and onto the new mac. I know there was programs for the older Ipods but they do not support the new ones. I mainly just need to transfer the music so any help with this would be much appreciated.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Visnaut
Senior User
Dec 23, 2007, 12:24 PM

It sounds to me like you already have an existing machine (Mac or PC) to which you already have your iPod touch synched with, and now you just want to transfer files between it and your new Mac. And I'm also assuming you have a wireless router.

If so, you can just turn on file sharing on one machine, log in with the other machine, and drag and drop files between each other that way. On your new Mac, you can just go to System Preferences > Sharing, and you'll be able to figure it out from there.

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2007, 12:45 PM

Yeah I figured that much out but it says its going to take 14 hours to transfer all that info. I think Im just going to borrow my friends older ipod and use it in disk mode.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 01:29 PM

Wow. That's pretty amazing:

TWO threads right next to each other, BOTH asking the exact same question, on the same day.
http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iph...storing-music/

Somebody add another one and it'll be a record or something.

Oh, and btw: They're spelled "sandals".

kiltninja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Wow. That's pretty amazing:

TWO threads right next to each other, BOTH asking the exact same question, on the same day.
http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iph...storing-music/

Somebody add another one and it'll be a record or something.

Oh, and btw: They're spelled "sandals".
So I'm attempting to find a way to get the music off an ipod touch, I googled it, landed on http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iph...ff-ipod-touch/ in which some very kind individual informs that there is a copycat thread existing in these forums.
Upon closer inspection to the paralleling forum I notice that the same individual kindly informs that the OP should refer to the search portion of this forum. Informing that there have been countless OP asking about getting music off the ipod. To show my ignorance, I believed this individual who had provided provided 8 years of helpful advice, only to discover nothing particularly helpful, and his very kind advice about countless threads about ipod software to display his own ignorance in that she/he doesn't recognize the difference in the firmware of an ipod and an ipod touch. Imagine my surprise...

So in conclusion if anyone has any productive helpful suggestions, belligerent or no, I'd appreciate a software that actually worked with the touch.

Thank you

zero1207
Jan 7, 2008, 05:47 PM

You might check out this link. I haven't tried it because I have a mac.

Free iPod Music Tranfer - transfer music to iPod, iPod Music Transfer

Other than that, all the programs I've found that work with the ipod touch and a mac aren't freeware, and I'm too cheap to buy a program that I know in month will be free somewhere else. You're best bet is to just use your friends old ipod with senuti (mac only, but there are free windows programs out there too), or if you have a network cable laying around just hook up the two computers and turn sharing on. The networking way will be by far the fastest.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2008, 10:52 AM

It's a lot harder, if not impossible on the touch because the touch doesn't have disk mode.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 02:29 PM

If you can afford to spend the money on a new Mac, what's another $15-20 to buy a firewire cable to connect both macs together? Having that cable is more than just doing a transfer. Maybe you can buy a backup drive and use its' firewire cable.

Kholinar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2008, 04:10 PM

The Senuti 0.50.2 beta5 works for the Ipod Touch. The feature's experimental, but it's worked fine for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules