Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why?! Why?! Why does Apple let iPhones sync with multiple accounts?!

Why?! Why?! Why does Apple let iPhones sync with multiple accounts?!
kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 11:47 AM

Why are iPods and iPhones designed so that they will sync with any user's account on a computer? Most families have multiple iPods/iPhones now and most people probably want them sync'd with a specific user account. So why does Apple insist on having them sync with whatever account is currently logged in? It constantly screws up my wife's iPhone so that she has my podcasts and playlists instead of hers.

In order to keep iPhone calendars relatively up-to-date you have to sync your phone often which means that it is easiest to put it on automatic sync. But if your phone is connected to the computer to charge and someone else logs in then it will just willy-nilly sync with that persons account. They were smart enough to prevent it from syncing calendars, contacts, and mail accounts, but they let it sync music. There are workarounds, such as only using manual sync, but that adds extra steps.

The easiest solution is to simply assign an iPhone/iPod to a specific user account and only have the device sync with that account. Why isn't it done this way? It seems so obvious.

kman

Kholinar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2008, 05:06 PM

I understand the frustration, but really if you or anyone around you keeps things on automatic sync this is going to happen. You feel like it's easier to keep it that way, so you have to accept some of the compromises.

I'm sure if Apple assigned the ipods to one account it'd be a problem for some people, and others would use it as an example of draconian lock-in.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kholinar View Post
I understand the frustration, but really if you or anyone around you keeps things on automatic sync this is going to happen. You feel like it's easier to keep it that way, so you have to accept some of the compromises.
I think his point is that he shouldn't have to make those compromises, as it would be fairly easy for Apple to implement the feature he wants.

I'm sure if Apple assigned the ipods to one account it'd be a problem for some people, and others would use it as an example of draconian lock-in.
So, how about giving the user the option whether to sync it with a particular account, or with all accounts? Problem solved.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Kholinar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2008, 05:52 PM

My personal feeling is that the itunes preferences box is already about four panes too long.

But I live with it. We can't all get everything we want.

I'm not sure why anyone asserts that it'd be easy though. At some point there would be so many syncronization options that tech support could be a nightmare. People already have trouble finding features like manual music management, and that's one of three checkboxes on the first tab of the Touch/Iphone section.

Everyone has different workflows. For me turning off auto-sync or using manual management may be fine, for someone else it may not be, but not everything can be added easily.

What's really not even being mentioned here is how account linking would solve the problem. My wife and I for example have two or three apple accounts and they're all associated with every computer/login. I guess you could separate them if you don't buy music/video, but then, why would you have an account? I'm not trolling here, i'd just like to hear some opinions/examples of implementation.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
So, how about giving the user the option whether to sync it with a particular account, or with all accounts? Problem solved.
Because Apple doesn't like options. They know what's best for us.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 05:56 PM

CharlesS: Exactly. They already ask you if you want to sync with another computer, so the code is already there for detecting a different library before syncing. All I'm asking for is a dialog asking me if I want to sync with the new user account. They could include a checkbox in the dialog that says "Don't ask again" as they do for many other issues (like when a song can't be found to sync). Or they could put it in the preferences.

I find it strange (and annoying, obviously) that it's not the default to only sync to one account. Completely erasing your device and syncing another library is both time consuming and the less likely user choice. It goes against Apple's general philosophy of making things simple and safe for the user.

kman

Kholinar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2008, 06:02 PM

I think that's partially what I'm not understanding. I've had it ask me many times whether or not to sync when the library was different. The only times I've had trouble was when I had synced with that library before.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kholinar View Post
I think that's partially what I'm not understanding. I've had it ask me many times whether or not to sync when the library was different. The only times I've had trouble was when I had synced with that library before.
It always asks when I connect my iPhone/iPod to a different computer, but never when I connect it to a different user account on the same computer. It just performs the sync without a warning.

It sounds from your response like it is doing this because at some distant point in the past, I may have sync'd the device with both accounts. If this is the case, is there a way to erase it's memory (some plist line that can be deleted) so that it will ask me again?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 08:39 PM

None of the iLife apps work very well in a multi user environment... they're all very single user oriented.

Kholinar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
It sounds from your response like it is doing this because at some distant point in the past, I may have sync'd the device with both accounts. If this is the case, is there a way to erase it's memory (some plist line that can be deleted) so that it will ask me again?
Generally with my itunes it asks if you're switching libraries. So maybe deleting com.apple.Ipod.plist in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder would reset this.

I was trying to remember something that happened to me a while back that might be helpful. I did some research and I'll do some more, but I did find something that might be helpful on the music/media aspect. I'm not sure about calendars and such....

"Create a separate iTunes library for each iPod Note: It is important that you make a new iTunes Library file. Do not just make a copy of your existing iTunes Library file. If iTunes is open, quit it.

Mac users: Hold down the Option key while you open iTunes.
Windows users: Hold down the Shift key while you open iTunes.
In the dialog that appears, do the following:
Click Create Library.
Name and save the alternate library file. iTunes opens with your brand new library file.
Open iTunes Preferences.
Click the Advanced tab and then click the General tab.
De-select Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library checkbox if it is selected and click OK. This will prevent iTunes from creating duplicate copies of your existing media files in the new library folder.
Add the specific media files you want on your iPod to iTunes either by dragging them into iTunes or using the Add to Library option in the File menu.
Once you have the iTunes LIbrary just how you want it, connect and sync iPod.
Once the sync is complete, quit iTunes.
Mac users: Hold down the Option key while you open iTunes.
Windows users: Hold down the Shift key while you open iTunes.
Click Choose library.
Choose your original iTunes Library and click Choose (Mac Users) or Open (Windows Users). You can now switch back and forth between the different libraries for different iPods."

After syncing to the new library I'd be careful about syncing to any other for any reason. I don't know if the last part will help, but I hope so. It's nice when things work like you want them to...

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks, Kholinar. I had given up on keeping iPods separate a number of years ago and just started sharing an iTunes Library file between my wife and I so that even if the iPod sync'd to the wrong account, it would still have the right music on it. This was working okay, but we each just have too many playlists and like different music (so the star ratings get screwed up) to make this practical. I therefore switched back to separate library files, but I did so by duplicating the old shared library files and starting from there for both of our accounts. Perhaps this is why iTunes recognizes our iPhones in both accounts and syncs them without asking.

I'll try starting over with a fresh library using a modified version of your instructions.

Thanks!
kman

memyselfandimac
Apr 29, 2008, 02:48 PM

Simple is better, just get a stand alone dock/charger and have her charge her iPhone there.

Do agree though that a iPhone should only be tied to and sync to 1 users account. Glaring oversight on Apples part IMO.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 02:56 PM

Well, we do use a standalone charger for her most of the time, but she wants to keep her iPhone calendar fairly up-to-date so she has to sync it frequently. If she does and then I come along and switch users on her and launch iTunes then her phone will sync with my iTunes library.

Forum Links
Forum Rules