Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Won't Accept WPA Password?

Won't Accept WPA Password?
bac2mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 12:43 PM

Just bought a new blackbook and am having trouble getting it to communicate with our linksys B router. The network is secured by a WPA key. If i open safari it tells me i am not connected so i click the toubleshooting button and try to set up a new "location". All is well until it asks for the password. I type it in and it says it was not accepted, yet my PC connects fine using that passord. I am not too familiar with wireless netoworks so i don't know what I am missing.

Other info:
- I can not connect to the router on the mac (192.168.1.1)
- It detects the network but there seems to be no signal
- My PC connects okay, but is slow. my friend always gets a "limited or no connectivity" with his PC, I sometimes get it after I wake it up from sleep but when I turn off the wireless card and turn it on again it connects fine. For this reason i think there maybe a router issue as well.

any ideas??
MacBook 2.0Ghz Intel

Nivag
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 06:11 PM

a couple of things to try.

1. turn off the password on the router and see if you can connect ok to it.

2. reset the password on the router, just to confirm you've got the right password.

3. try a different wireless channel, it might be getting interference from another wireless device

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2006, 07:09 PM

Are you 100% sure that Linksys B router is capable of WPA? Which model? I thought most of them were stuck with WEP...

Anyway, since passphrase handling is part of the WPA standard, if you enter the SAME passphrase EXACTLY in two different machines, they should both work. Are you using a very long passphrase? Have you considered copying the passphrase to a text file and moving/copying it to the MacBook so you can copy and paste the thing EXACTLY?

The "limited or no connectivity" is from the PC trying to connect to a different wireless network-the last one it connected to. Your friend can simply click on the icon for his wireless card, select your network and click "Connect" and it should work (with the passphrase entered, of course). Your wake from sleep experience is typical, and it's because the computer doesn't tell the AirPort card it's going to sleep-the card doesn't know where in the WiFi frequency set it's supposed to be when it wakes up. Manually disconnecting and reconnecting should fix this every time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bac2mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2006, 07:59 AM

good tips, i have verified the password several times, it's really simple for test purposes. I'll try and different channel and see if the router is capable of WPA.
MacBook 2.0Ghz Intel

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2006, 08:20 AM

Another issue to look at is what form of WPA each box is set up for. The router should be set up for WPA-PSK with TKIP, which is the same thing Apple calls "WPA Personal." If you use any other form of WPA on the router, you'll have a very hard time getting yoru Mac to connect.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules