Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme Simply Being Lame

Airport Extreme Simply Being Lame
Dex13
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 01:24 AM

I purchased an airport extreme card for my powermac G5 about six months ago from an apple store. I lived in a dormitory and had an airport express above me that I only was able to receive two bars with. I simply just thought because of the solid walls that the weak signal strength is understandable. However, when I got home and set it up I ended up getting the same two bars with periodic drop outs. The wireless router was nor more than 25 feet away from me in the next room. The router is 802.11g and the Card is 802.11g. What gives? Is my wireless card defective?

Help.
I even got a signal booster for the router ....

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2007, 07:29 AM

Is your Power Mac's antenna properly connected? That's a pretty important part of it, you know, and the antenna connections aren't always easy to get plugged in right, particularly at the card end.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 04:45 PM

Also the external antenna on the back of the PowerMac G5.

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 06:30 PM

sorry for being lame and not even checking up on my own thread but ...
I've tried connecting it and reconnecting it multiple times to no avail,
And Kenneth, what about the external antenna? I haven't found anything that will connect to that specialized port.

Is it so far fetched to think of a defective card?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 17, 2007, 08:30 PM

There IS NO INTERNAL ANTENNA ON THE CARD IN YOUR G5. None. You MUST have the G5's antenna connected on the back of the case you you will encounter the same "almost no signal" problem you're seeing. Read all about it straight from the horse's mouth. Page 16 of the Power Mac G5 manual shows where the antenna port is, and the instructions for installing the AirPort card (including the antenna and its cable) start on page 66. If you don't have an antenna, you need to get one.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 11:57 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules