Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Guns save lives

Guns save lives (Page 2)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 09:28 AM

Maybe the test should be to lock the applicant in a room full of guns, ammo and beer for a week and if they survive, they can own a gun.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Are you serious ? They give lip service, and keep on going their corrupt ways.
Even as a voter, you only have the choice between inept and corrupt or idiot and completely corrupt.

-t
I'm not naive, but once you get real and accept that ANY government you elect is going to do this to some extent, there are still many issues where they pay very close attention to public opinion. Its amplified when the elections get closer but its always there to an extent. The UK government was on the verge of listening to the anti-vaccine movement idiots at one stage. Just because they grunted loud enough.

It happens on smaller scales too. Years back a guy crashed his car and killed himself a couple of miles down the road from my village. Someone I vaguely knew. As a direct result, the police camped out on that stretch for several months afterwards and eventually the speed limit was reduced from 60mph to 50. Never mind that the guy wasn't very bright. Never mind that he was on a cocktail of illegal drugs and possibly drunk too at the time of the crash. Never mind that everyone else in the car survived and the driver was the only one not wearing his seatbelt (and experts said it would have saved him if he had been). And lastly, never mind that he was driving at over 80mph when he crashed into the wall on an S-bend.

How is shaving 10mph off the limit going to prevent that exact same incident from happening in the future? It isn't. It was done to make a few grieving people feel a bit better. Local legislators listened to people.

People have free speech, the right to campaign and protest for or against things and most crucially they have the power to vote for their officials, often on several levels. It may not seem as fast as starting a civil war, but the mechanisms are there and for now they are adequate.
Perhaps we just have differing ideas on the likelihood that the USA will require a violent coup by its citizenry in the foreseeable future.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
I don't know where you're getting your info from, as far as gun ownership in Canada, but that's the first time I've ever heard a claim as high as yours.

List of countries by gun ownership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The source you provided isn't very accurate

The numbers are based on the average of figures provided by the Small Arms Survey, in the Small Arms Survey 2007,[3] unless other sources are provided, and are an estimation based on dividing the total amount of civilian owned guns in a nation by the total population of that nation. As some people may possess multiple weapons while others possess none, this number is not a representation of the percentage of people who possess guns in each nation.

I'll have to go search it. I am pretty sure I read it at nfa.ca site which is not very well organized for finding things.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules