Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Identify VoIP number

Identify VoIP number
jszrules
Senior User
Sep 19, 2012, 07:47 PM

A friend of mine has consistently been receiving calls on their phone from an "Unknown Number", which I assume means they are coming from VoIP (otherwise it would show up as "Private" or "Blocked"). Is there a way to identify where these calls are coming from? Thanks.

iM@k
Senior User
Sep 21, 2012, 07:26 PM

As someone who worked for a VoIP CLEC, I can tell tell you it's possible but not garenteed.

First, your friend will want to open case with the local police department (ie they must agree to proceed with prosicution if the person(s) is/are found due to the amount of effert involved).

Second they need to submit the police case number along with the assigned officers name a contact info to their own phone service provider and request a "trap". If the calls are happening more at a certain time of day, it'll best to let them know.

Their localprovider can let them onow any additional steps needed.

Please note that even if the trap picks up a DID (phone number) for the calls, the CNAM info caller ID) can be spoofed.
What, me worry?

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Sep 22, 2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the reply, iM@k. What about software, such as TrapCall?

Forum Links
Forum Rules