Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Any Editors Switch from VT[x] to FCP?

Any Editors Switch from VT[x] to FCP?
jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2005, 01:42 PM

Hi,

I have a Newtek Video Toaster, 4.5 which runs on XP. I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist. But am so tired of the problems inherit with Windows and possibly the Toaster. I have placed my order for FCP. Was wondering if anyone else made this change? How did it go? Any tips/advice/reference material you would suggest?

What pushed me to finally order FCP was a simple video I was trying to make. I got all the clips from my camera put on my Mac and tried using iMovie. Just didn't give me all the options/tools I'm looking for. So I copied the files to my server so I could use my Toaster. Dang thing couldn't read the files. Now, with iMovie, everytime the camera paused, it creates a new clip. Not with VT Capture. I had to manually stop/start (maybe there is a better way) and create my clips, being mindful not to exceed the avi file limits. I also had to reboot several times becaue VT hung up or screwed up the audio. Finally get to editing and notice about half way thru that my audio is out of sync to the video. URGh!

Thanks,

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

inkhead
Senior User
Oct 26, 2005, 12:21 AM

www.lynda.com, sells video tutorials you can watch ;-) on FCP.

jhogarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2005, 02:05 PM

Received Final Cut studio last night. All I can say is WOW! Very impressed so far at FCP and Motion. That is all I've had time to dabble with.

J.

ps. Thanks the tip on the tuts.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Forum Links
Forum Rules