Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to lose the "Documents" folder?

How to lose the "Documents" folder?
Chopper3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 1999, 07:08 AM

I just upgraded to OS9 and keep getting this damn "Documents" directory in my root. Any ideas how to clear or hide it?

Thanks.

PBM.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 1999, 01:21 PM

not running OS 9 myself yet... but why 'lose' this 'Documents' folder, it is obviously there by system default, and removing it COULD cause trouble, I don't know for sure but if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

jaysones
Nov 2, 1999, 02:35 PM

I'll bet if you go to the General Controls control panel, and look at the "Documents" section on the bottom left, you'll find your problem. This folder has been around since way before MacOS 9, but I imagine your prefs got screwed up in the install. Hope that helps-
Jay Sones

47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 1999, 06:52 AM

Actually, I believe in MacOS 9 the Documents folder won't go away (AFAIK until someone patches this). You can have your general controls set to go anywhere but a Documents folder and it will still be there. If you try to delete it, the damn thing comes back. I use it in my PowerBook as a default download folder but other systems that I work with don't need the folder and can't get rid of it.

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 1999, 07:05 AM

Im running OS9 with no documents folder. The option must be off in general controls.

Also if a file tries to access the documents folder, but it isnt there, the os *may* crate one, simelar what the system does with all its assoociated folder (control panels, extentions, etc)

------------------
-See Yea!

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 1999, 05:03 AM

Disable all the extensions related to multiple users; the 'Documents' folder contains sub-folders for each user, even if there is only one user. Disabling the extensions solves the problem and reclaims about 200-400k of RAM.

While I'm at it, removing 'Panels' from the System Folder won't affect RAM usage--it is technically a replacement for the Finder. Remember that the Finder is actually a very priveleged application. I've seen ResEdit hacks which allow you to use almost any App as your Finder. (Really useful if you're assembling a kiosk. I've used it in a public lab situation where one Mac is a dedicated web browsing machine. Sehr toll.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules