Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sound CDEV:Speaker Setup

Sound CDEV:Speaker Setup
yawgoog
Nov 2, 1999, 03:17 PM

In the Sound Control panel, under speaker setup:

There is a start test button that plays sound alternating the left and right channels. This sound is a very loud pure static. It's heavily annoying. Is this like that on everyone's computer, or does anyone have something more pleasing?

Mike

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 1999, 04:29 PM

that annoying sound is yet again evidence of Apple's engineers thinking different... that sound is called 'white noise' because it is EVERY audible frequency all at once... this is a STANDARD in the audio industry and is commonly used in RT60 frequency spectrum analysis, like what a sound engineer does in a rock'n roll venue to equalize his audio output according to the room's acoustics which are measured by amplified white noise to the PA loudspeakers in a theater (for example) while 'listening' to this sound thru a microphone that is hooked up to a spectrum analyzer.

That said, it MAY be 'pink noise' that Apple is using to accomplish this.

NO JOKE: these noises are SCIENTIFIC even if they have funny names like 'white' and 'pink'

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 1999, 05:06 PM

interesting sidenote to this(i get the same as you describe on my 8500 and wallstreet233) is that when i checked setup on a 333iMac, the sound came from both speakers simultaneously

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 1999, 05:47 PM

Try testing the sound on an iBook, which only has one speaker (or I guess a PM G3/G4)... I would have thought Apple would have been smart enough to have the softwar recognize that there is only one speaker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules