Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 or Borg?

OS 9 or Borg?
smaffei
Banned
Nov 2, 1999, 11:13 PM

Running OS 9 on my new iMac DV. Well, Quake 3 hangs when loading maps. Connectix Virtual Game Station 1.2 freezes uexpectedly. So far, I haven't heard of these problems else where.

So should I revert back to 8.6 Borg (Borg meaning the half 8.6 / half 9.0 system that comes with the iMac DVs)? Has anyone had success running either of the 2 above programs under 8.6 on a new iMac?

Help...

[This message has been edited by smaffei (edited 11-03-1999).]

Brian Marsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 1999, 01:38 PM

programs & games that use OpenGL will probably have to be updated to work with the latest OpenGL 1.1.1 that comes with MacOS 9

there are a few that crash or just don't display properly under 9

Savvy
Nov 4, 1999, 07:44 AM

I have used q3test on my iMac DV with both OS 9 and Borg, and it works fine, although with VM on in OS 9, sound effects are about 2 seconds behind where they should be, but other than that, no crashes or anything severe.

smaffei  (op)
Banned
Nov 4, 1999, 04:32 PM

Yeah, Quake 3 worked after I turned VM on. But, that damn sound delay in OS 9.0 reared it's ugly head. Has anyone tried to send this to mac sites to expose this problem?
It's really annoying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules