Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Startup Crash need help!!!

Startup Crash need help!!!
Pumpkin
Nov 5, 1999, 04:54 PM

I'm trying to install OS9 on my 7500 w/ a 120MHz 601 from an 8500. It boots off the CD fine, but after installation I get an error message to restart with extenstions off. I restart, hold down shift and the error still appears. Any suggestions????

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 1999, 06:11 PM

try this, and yes i know you said you have a 7500:

"I have a G3 400 9GBUW with no third party devices whatsoever connected. As with everybody else the Mac freezes when booting from the CD or a HD with OS 9 installed. The offender is the Ethernet drivers that are in the System folder of the OS 9 CD. If you boot from the CD with extensions off then it will boot no problem, install OS 9 and shut down. Now boot from 8.6 and copy all the Open Transport and Ethernet drivers from the 8.6 CD extension folder to the OS 9 system on your hard disk and reboot. Problem solved"

(the above is excerpted from MacFixit)

Pumpkin
Nov 6, 1999, 12:38 PM

I've tried swaping the ethernet drivers and it still doesn't work. Booting off the CD with extenstions on is fine. It's only when I try to startup of the HD that I get a unimplemented trap error, even before the progress bar shows up.

Pumpkin
Nov 6, 1999, 01:31 PM

I've tracked the culprit down to the Text Encoding Converter. Does anyone know what this does and do I need it?

TigerN28763
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 1999, 03:03 PM

Did you see the news message 2 days ago here on MACNN that said the ATI driver set that is "installed" with OS 9 can cause "freezes on startup"?

Pumpkin
Nov 6, 1999, 03:46 PM

There are no ATI drivers installed. I don't have an ATI card in there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules