Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Run SETI, get fired...

Run SETI, get fired...
CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2004, 05:41 PM

I guess there's a reason it's called SETI@HOME

http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...8alienweb.html

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2004, 05:42 PM

Shall we use your registration to read the article?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2004, 05:46 PM

L/P? and macnn/macnn didnt want to work...

idea: someone with free time set up a macnn gmail account for stuff like this...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
idea: someone with free time set up a macnn gmail account for stuff like this...
Or maybe use a .mac alias?
The login wants name, email, and password. I do usually try macnn/macnn for giggles.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 05:52 PM

CMYKid could you copy/paste the article?

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 08:10 PM

most amazingly "macnn" uid and password works!!

Here is the cutandpaste anyway

The search for extraterrestrial life has ended at the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 stories

* Dayton police seek missing Findlay man
* State fires employee over his search for alien life
* Dayton police use taser on uncooperative teen
* Dayton police officers get more face time
* Wright-Pat general denies any wrongdoing

The department on Thursday fired a computer programmer who admitted using a state-owned computer server to process data for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence project, run by the University of California at Berkeley.

Charles E. Smith, 63, told administrators he didn't think loading the SETI software on the server was much of a problem because he ran the program only on weekends and on weekdays between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., when the server wasn't being used, according to a disciplinary report.

Department director Tom Hayes disagreed.

"I understand his desire to search for intelligent life in outer space, because obviously he doesn't find it in the mirror in the morning," Hayes said. "I think that people can be comfortable that security has beamed this man out of our building."

Smith, who earned $60,000 a year, didn't return a phone call seeking comment from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. There was no immediate response to messages left Friday by the Associated Press at the two phone listings in Columbus under the name Charles E. Smith.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
"I understand his desire to search for intelligent life in outer space, because obviously he doesn't find it in the mirror in the morning," Hayes said. "I think that people can be comfortable that security has beamed this man out of our building."
Those are some crappy jokes and he used them almost as if he knew that the guy was running it for awhile, spent nights and nights writing and rewriting those two "ziggers" and then decided to fire him in hopes he could use those jokes.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 08:33 PM

BugMeNot seems to work well enough. The first result gave:

heywood/[email protected]
blowme

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
...who earned $60,000 a year...
Why the **** do they mention this ?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
Those are some crappy jokes
I thought they were pretty good.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
BugMeNot seems to work well enough. The first result gave:

heywood/[email protected]
blowme
nice link!

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2004, 09:27 PM

[email protected]

I'll get rid of these invites one way or the other
Nemo me impune lacesset

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2004, 09:36 PM

whats the pw?

i tried that as well, but it was being a bitch about similar passwords...

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2004, 10:14 PM

the password is 'lounge', sorry about that. The security question is pretty easy too, if you try to log in and guess the password. You have a 50/50 chance
Nemo me impune lacesset

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 04:28 PM

I do run SETI on the workstation at work.. haha.. it completes one WU in 3hrs.. an A64 2800+.

My DP 1.25 finishes one in ~6hrs.. but I set it to do 2 WUs at a time.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2004, 04:49 PM

Oh, and you guys are free to use that macnn/gmail account to set up usernames and passwords for stuff you are going to link, but try not to use it as a dumping ground for all the spam you don't want to get on your own account.

We should keep a list of sites that the macnn/macnn log in works with. I've set up a couple, but the only one I actually remember doing is the NY Times.
Nemo me impune lacesset

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
I do run SETI on the workstation at work.. haha.. it completes one WU in 3hrs.. an A64 2800+.

My DP 1.25 finishes one in ~6hrs.. but I set it to do 2 WUs at a time.
yeah but the problem is that the client is crappy on osx my g4 800 is only marginally faster than my g3 450. guess which one is running os9.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2004, 10:25 AM

I run either SETI or RC 5 on all my Macs. The guy who comes in to support the PCs (I won't touch 'em beyond configuring email for employees) is utterly paranoid and has convinced my partner that SETI is a security risk. (It downloads work units automatically! Any one of these could be a trojan or a virus!) So I don't run SETI on the PCs.

The point is not to install and run any software on any computer that you don't have explicit permission to install. There's plenty of sysadmins out there who DO run SETI on big corporate server rigs, but they do so with permission from their higher-ups, or they lose their jobs. This isn't the first time this has happened, either.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 12:36 PM

I had a beige G3 233 that did a unit in 24 hours. Those were the days.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
I had a beige G3 233 that did a unit in 24 hours. Those were the days.
Heh. My PowerTower Pro 150 took 105 hours at first, but I managed to fine-tune it to where it could turn a work unit in 55.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 05:30 PM

Although it was not his private computer, and he should have abided by the rules (if this was indeed clearly against the rules, which was not explicitly stated), I do not see how it is justifiable to fire an individual on the basis of this alone, considering that seti@home can run as a screen saver, and in any mode, uses only unused processing cycles. How many "state owned" computers don't run screen savers?

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Why the **** do they mention this ?
mmm, it is a bit strange...

galarneau
Senior User
Oct 10, 2004, 06:15 PM

I can see getting reprimanded, but fired?

I think this guy must have been on someones sh*t list, and this is an excuse to get rid of him.

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2004, 03:21 AM

meh. sorry kids, I forgot they'd started requirin' a registration recently. lame.

I'll copy/paste next time.

macroy
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Gabriel Morales:
Although it was not his private computer, and he should have abided by the rules (if this was indeed clearly against the rules, which was not explicitly stated), I do not see how it is justifiable to fire an individual on the basis of this alone, considering that seti@home can run as a screen saver, and in any mode, uses only unused processing cycles. How many "state owned" computers don't run screen savers?
Whether or not it was justifiable depends on their organization's security policy. Given that it was a University, I would think it would be more relaxed - HOWEVER, governments (fed, state, local) typically have fairly stringent general policies. And it can gets more strict as you dig down to the different departments.

The key phrase from the article is "..process data..". Thus this CAN be considered as a misuse of State owned property. Can one be fired for this? definitely, if it's in their security policy (and he acknowledged reading it - which most places do by having you signed a paper). Should he have? That's a different issue.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 02:32 AM

Why the **** do they mention this?
To illustrate the guy lost a damn good job for a dumb reason.

I'm not sure the guy should've been whacked for that, but you are taking a serious risk installing anything on a "work" computer without permission. Of course, I say this as I post on a non-work-related website while on the clock, using Firefox, which I installed without permission after various, well-documented problems with I.E.

Maybe the guy had more issues and this was just the final straw, as it does seem a bit extreme.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 03:05 AM

They probably just take their policies seriously. I think the same thing would happen where I work, where they'd consider it misuse of company property. Anyway, the important point is probably that he loaded this software on a server without permission... That's a serious no-no almost anywhere.

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by galarneau:
I can see getting reprimanded, but fired?

I think this guy must have been on someones sh*t list, and this is an excuse to get rid of him.
He's a programmer. They don't need an excuse. At $60K a year though, he should've been holding on to that job for dear life.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2004, 07:48 AM

1) The guy that got fired shouldn't have been fired. He should have been warned. That being said, if it was a secure network... or if by running SETI@HOME he opened up his network... then he deserves to be fired.

2) The person that was interviewed should be sued. I'm almost positive he can be for saying such comments regarding an ex-employee.

I'm guessing there is more to the story, but who knows...

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:27 AM

The man was a jerk for saying those things.

Markovich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 07:08 PM

QUOTE]Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
The man was a jerk for saying those things. [/QUOTE]

Ok, Im late to this discussion. I actually work for the state govt dept that this guy got fired from. I was running Seti@home on my desktop workstation, but after reading that article, immediately removed it the following day.
The general consensus here is that IF this was the guy's only offense and had no other real performance issues, then he shoudl not have been fired. Warned yes,fired no.

We also thought the comments from our director were in poor taste, unprofessional and cruel.This is the same director under whose leadership, we "lost" millions of dollars in a budgeting mistake. So, I guess losing vast sums of money wont get you fired.

On another state website operated by the State Attorney General, there are web pages dedicated to getting the current AG elected as our next govenor. So , running your campaign off of state resources is also ok.

http://jfs.ohio.gov/director.stm
Mark
DP 1.8 Rev B, 2Gigs Ram,ATI 9600XT,Airport, 20" ACD. Also 13" Macbook 2Gigs Ram. Obsession 15" ,Nexstar 5i and Ultima 8 telescopes.

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2004, 06:11 PM

The reason people get fired is because all large companies have policies stating very clearly against the practice of installing unapproved software onto computers. Basically the employee has no right to install software on machines he does not own nor have permission to install on. I work in a large enterprise and whoever is caught installing software gets nailed. I completely support this practice since half the crap people tend to install usually have spyware etc in them....and when corporate network services gets wind of someone having installed software, they basically take the computer out of commission while they clean it off.
:)

Markovich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2004, 07:18 PM

If you want to eliminate spyware issues on your work PC, then you should not have internet access. Basically, any web cruising will infect a PC with multitudes of spyware,etc. I spend about 2 hours a week supporting my team's Windoze PC's. The amount of spyware is astonishing. Theyre equally amazed when I tell them I get none at home on my unprotected Mac. So, our Help Desk technicians advise us to install SpyBot or Adaware to clean our systems. However, that is in violation of MIS rules not to install software on your PC. Furthemore, our installed, standard web browser is Netscape 4.5 which crashes quite a bit. It also wont properly display some internal web pages! So, most of us have downloaded and use a more current browser.

I understand the need for guidelines to protect a system, especially a Win2K system that is very vulnerable. However, people who spend 8 hours a day using their PC should be given some level of flexibility in personalizing it. MIS will simply have to suck it in. There are many things they could do from their end that would eliminate some of the security issues. Simply establishing draconian rules is not the answer. I used to work for a certain network firm that was the biggest bankruptcy in the US. We had guidelines, but not harsh ones.

Mark

Originally posted by t6hawk:
The reason people get fired is because all large companies have policies stating very clearly against the practice of installing unapproved software onto computers. Basically the employee has no right to install software on machines he does not own nor have permission to install on. I work in a large enterprise and whoever is caught installing software gets nailed. I completely support this practice since half the crap people tend to install usually have spyware etc in them....and when corporate network services gets wind of someone having installed software, they basically take the computer out of commission while they clean it off.
Mark
DP 1.8 Rev B, 2Gigs Ram,ATI 9600XT,Airport, 20" ACD. Also 13" Macbook 2Gigs Ram. Obsession 15" ,Nexstar 5i and Ultima 8 telescopes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules