Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Special Price on Office (Student/Teacher)

Special Price on Office (Student/Teacher)
jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 12:10 PM

Office for Mac Student and Teacher Edition. Just $99.95.

Think that is a $50 savings. I purchased mine a month ago and paid the $149 price. As far as I know you do not need to be a teacher or student. The only restriction is the is not upgradeable. My copy came with 3 license keys (serial numbers). Currently installed on two of my Macs. Waiting to buy a Powerbook.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

-Q-
Aug 2, 2005, 05:23 PM

The $35 rebate at Amazon nets you a price of US$97.99. Seems like a pretty good deal if you need office.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
Office for Mac Student and Teacher Edition. Just $99.95.

Think that is a $50 savings. I purchased mine a month ago and paid the $149 price. As far as I know you do not need to be a teacher or student. The only restriction is the is not upgradeable. My copy came with 3 license keys (serial numbers). Currently installed on two of my Macs. Waiting to buy a Powerbook.

J.
Well you DO need to be a student or teacher to legally use it. Whether you're actually prohibited from using it by physical means is something else... it's just your conscience

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 3, 2005, 08:28 AM

Further if you actually ARE a student or teacher at a university, you may be able to get Office for a LOT LESS than that. Many schools have a special deal with Microsoft that essentially makes the cost of the software trivial. Check with your school.

When the Apple Store in Austin opened, they had the student/teacher version of Office on the shelf, and I actually saw an Apple associate ask a potential purchaser to show her a student ID before she would sell it to him...he had one and all was cool, but I was pleasantly surprised that anyone bothered to check.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jhogarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 04:37 PM

The rep at the Apple store said I didn't need to be a student or teacher. He said it was only limited to not being able to be upgraded. I took him for his word.

A few days later, after finding I really needed Office compatibility with some people, I grabbed a copy off the shelf and paid for it at the Apple Store. Wasn't asked if I was a student/teacher.

Just my experience. If you have a local Apple store, it won't hurt to ask, would it?

J.
Converted 4/29/05

jhogarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 04:41 PM

Hmmm, I just got this from the Apple site:

Eligibility Requirements
To license Office 2004 for Mac Student and Teacher Edition, you must be a Qualified Educational User or the parent or guardian of a Qualified Educational User who is a minor. Qualified Educational Users include:

Full or part-time students
Home-schooled students
Full or part-time faculty or staff of an accredited educational institution.

Guess use your own judgement. For me I have kids in school so guess it is not an issue for me. Kids would buy with MY money anyways. :-)

J.
Converted 4/29/05

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 04:56 PM

I don't understand the part re the Student/Teacher version of Office 2004 can't be upgraded. That's what I bought when it was first released. The M$ updaters installed without issue.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

jhogarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 05:10 PM

The way the rep explained it to me was that the Student/Teacher version would not qualify say for an upgrade to Office 2006 (or whatever they call the next version).

But then again I have spoken with some reps at the Apple store who are knowledgable and some who are just there to fill space.

J.
Converted 4/29/05

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
The way the rep explained it to me was that the Student/Teacher version would not qualify say for an upgrade to Office 2006 (or whatever they call the next version).

But then again I have spoken with some reps at the Apple store who are knowledgable and some who are just there to fill space.

J.
Many just fill space...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 3, 2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by pendragon
I don't understand the part re the Student/Teacher version of Office 2004 can't be upgraded. That's what I bought when it was first released. The M$ updaters installed without issue.
They mean that you are not eligible to buy an upgrade package; you are supposed to buy another full package.

But who cares? The full student/teacher edition costs less than the normal upgrade package. Just buy it fresh.

tooki

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2005, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
They mean that you are not eligible to buy an upgrade package; you are supposed to buy another full package.

But who cares? The full student/teacher edition costs less than the normal upgrade package. Just buy it fresh.

tooki
Gottit tooki. Thanks!
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 4, 2005, 10:50 AM

I think that there are a few bells and whistles that aren's included in the Student/Teacher version as well. I don't think most people will need to convert files from WordPerfect nor be able to mess with WordSTAR files...I wouldn't worry about it.

Here's Microsoft's Office for Mac page about the differences in the versions; I don't see a huge difference at all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 10:59 AM

I'm still using Office v. X. Heard too many flimsy things about Office 2004.

-t

jhogarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2005, 11:21 AM

I only use Word and Excel in order to be able to share files with friends/co-workers who are too stuborn to give the Mac a try. I did try their (MS) Mail client for a day, but went back to the Apple Mail program.

I'm hoping Apple will add a decent spreasheet program to iWork one of these days.

J.
Converted 4/29/05

Forum Links
Forum Rules