Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 and DVD playback (Lombard)

OS 9 and DVD playback (Lombard)
wadekainer
Oct 15, 1999, 11:06 PM

Anyone else notice more frequent glitches (occasional skips, "scratched disk" messages using the new DVDPlayer vers 1.3 and OS 9? I notice it especially around layer/chapter switches. The older DVD Player 1.2 seems to be more stable in this regard, but I'm still doing more testing on "problem" disks.

Dragonlance
Oct 16, 1999, 07:00 PM

Mac OS9s DVD player hasnt taken care of all the problems wih the player included in OS 8.6 ? i mean does the disk still get stuck, is the volume still lower than usual when playing DVDs ?
Aaron

------------------
Mac Rules !!! seeya

Fooj
Oct 18, 1999, 02:24 AM

Actually, I've got a problem with DVD playback on a Wallstreet (sorry, I know this thread's talking about Lombard DVDs). It seems that the new Apple CD/DVD Driver doesn't recognize the DVD-ROM module as DVD hardware. I can work around it by using the CD/DVD driver from 8.6, but that's kind of a hassle. Anyone out there hear of the same problem, or if it's possible I'm conflicting with something?

wadekainer
Oct 18, 1999, 05:48 AM

Well, by playing around I've found out the new player does play well without 3rd party extensions, however in all testing, I could never get the DVD-ROM tray to eject discs via the Eject button (or menu). Ejection does work, though, in the AppleCD Audio Player. Strange... My gut tells me there's still something a little funny with the DVD player.

wadekainer
Oct 19, 1999, 06:49 PM

Problem solved. Trashing the DVD and Finder Prefs seems to have cleared everything. Stupid of me not to think of it earlier. Problems just coincidental with the OS 9 installation.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 1999, 01:40 AM

OS9 DVD player uses software MPEG2 decoding, and it's still in beta. Im not sure if it will use the MPEG2 decoder card if its present

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 1999, 05:52 PM

I noticed that the Eject button wouldn't eject the DVD... I'll have to try deleting the prefs. I have noticed a few skips during the course of a movie... maybe three or four, max. This didn't happen before, but it's really not that big a deal.

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 1999, 05:54 PM

As a followup, I got my first "disk is scratched/dirty" error yesterday. Oddly enough it was at the very end of the credits for Devil's Advocate. A quick click on "ok", a return to the menu, then a return to the movie had this fixed... odd.

wadekainer
Nov 4, 1999, 09:22 PM

As a followup, the ejection probs returned, and I still get the 3 or 4 tiny skips (which occur in the same spot whether starting from the beginning of the movie or moving to the start of the chapter)(!), so I ended up reinstalling a minimum 8.6 + DVD 1.2 software (just to play DVDs flawlessly) alongside the OS 9 and DVD 1.3. Booting from 8.6 eliminates the tiny skips and restores ejection...perhaps something in the CD/DVD Driver or decoding library is slightly amiss.

toloczko
Nov 7, 1999, 08:39 PM

Have you thought about moving the DVD 1.2 software from OS 8.6 over to OS 9? I moved ColorSync 2.6.1 from OS 8.6 to OS 9 because the individual color adjustments in ColorSync 2.6.1 effectively elimnate the blue hue on the Lombard LCD display. No problems so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules