Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 and DVD

OS9 and DVD
MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 1999, 01:45 PM

How does it work?

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 1999, 05:44 PM

I've had only good experiences with it so far on my PB G3/400. I have tried out several DVDs and all work fine... no more need for that command-option-i trick.

Yesterday I was watching Devil's Advocate and the thing inexplicably froze about half way through (no other apps were running), but a quick restart and things were back to normal. This has only happened once out of a good dozen viewing sessions.

I have yet to try it on the iMac DV... one interesting note, 8.6 ships with version 1.2 of DVD, iMac DV/DV-SE ships with 2.0b2, OS 9 ships with 1.3...

brahmservo
Nov 8, 1999, 09:54 PM

I've had problems using the multiple user feature of Mac OS 9 with DVDs. I'm using a Powerbook G3 300Mhz (Wallstreet) with the DVD kit.

Logged in as a "normal" user, after inserting a DVD and watching it, I am unable to eject the disk without resorting to a restart. I get the following error when I try to eject a DVD (in this case, the Dark Crystal):

The disk "THE_DARK_CRYSTAL" could not be
put away because it contains the file
"VTS_01_4.VOB", which is in use.

Quit all programs using "VTS_01_4.VOB",
then try putting away the disk again.

I've tried quitting all applications, logging out and logging in as another user (even the "owner"), and ejecting the DVD PCMCIA decoder card...none of it seems to help.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules