Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > WEIRD Stuffit Expander 5.1.4/ "Apple Enet" problem...

WEIRD Stuffit Expander 5.1.4/ "Apple Enet" problem...
mfiske
Nov 7, 1999, 02:20 PM

Here's the message that I sent to Aladdin just a few moments ago. I figured maybe you guys could have a go at it as well. I'm running a Rev. B iMac w/ 96MB RAM and, of course (I'm having problems, aren't I), Mac OS 9...

">Kind Sirs:
>
>Stuffit Expander 5.1.4 (included w/ Mac OS 9) does NOT want to let me expand to
>either the Desktop OR the root level of my hard drive. Any ideas why? I've
>done the usual rebuilding/ zapping with no success...
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Mark Fiske
>Appearance Technologies (formerly Fake-8 Technologies)

Kind Sirs:

After some further investigation this morning, the problem seems to go away (and this is going to sound VERY strange) after I disable Apple's "Apple Enet" extension.

Sincerely,

Mark Fiske
Appearance Technologies (formerly Fake-8 Technologies)
<http://www.kagi.com/aprtec>"

toloczko
Nov 7, 1999, 08:26 PM

Actually, older versions of Stuffit Expander and DropStuff will exhibit the same behavior if file sharing is enabled. If you have file sharing enabled, turn it off, set the default folder location for Stuffit Expander and DropStuff, and then turn file sharing back on. I'm sure there's a reason for the behavior, but this simple trick gets the job done.

Lanlord
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 1999, 12:43 PM

mfiske, have you tried Mindexpander from Mindvision? This is a freeware application that works perfectly with OS9. You can't compress with it but uncompressing works flawlessly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules