Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 101hr Indexing

101hr Indexing
joeyzr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 1999, 10:24 PM

I hope I am in the right forum for this question, and am assuming it may be OS9 related or at least an OS-installation error. This was not a problem with OS8.6

I have my revB iMac scheduled for indexing in Sherlock for midnight on Monday nights. The iMac is on and two Mondays have gone by since I installed OS9 and I wake in the morning hearing the drive churning away after a night of attempting to index the drive. This morning I found it saying 101hrs to completion.

Has anyone got any ideas on this?
joeyzr

Ster
Nov 8, 1999, 10:37 PM

hi,
i've noticed the same type of thing w/ 8.6 on a beige g3. i think it helps if you delete the index and let it re-index from scratch once in a while. (you can do that from within sherlock, under 'find by content' there's a button 'index volumes...' which shows all the mounted vols, when they wer indexed, etc. just choose the ones you want, and hit the 'delete index' button) i usually do that after in rebuild my desktop.
hope that helps,
ster

joeyzr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 1999, 12:22 PM

Thank you. I think that did it ans it only took a half hour after I did so.

Plus, I think it did not like the SETI@home screensaver disturbing it, nor Sleep mode. I had read in the Help menu that sleep could be a problem for portables, but I believe it affected my iMac as well.
joeyzr

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 1999, 12:49 PM

Also I noticed that you can choose what languages you want it to look for and index. It says to uncheck all those you don't need to make indexing faster.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules