Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PB G3 Series wake from sleep problems

PB G3 Series wake from sleep problems
madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 1999, 05:45 PM

I have a 300Mhz PowerBook G3 Series and if I put it to sleep for more than 5-minutes then upon awakening I get very strange pixelated colors around the cursor and all menu items. It's so bad that I have to restart. This happens on all the G3 Series PowerBook's in our office but not on the newer bronze keyboard ones.

I know it cannot be any 3rd party conflict as in each case I have formatted the hard drive and only had OS 9 running.
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

Ignatius
Nov 12, 1999, 11:23 AM

I am having the same problem on my G3. I can't put it to sleep because it will not wake. I think it is crashing when I try to wake it which means that I have to restart. Funny enough though I don't have that problem with my Powerbook 1400cs. I am also not able to shut down the G3 with out it crashing. What to do?

gregoj
Nov 12, 1999, 12:27 PM

Neither one of you has said whether everything is peachy when you try any of this with extensions off.

From experience with powerbooks, and g3 machines in general, the use of ATI extensions is just plain ugly. It's very hit and miss with what works where. I have a b/w that will only function while running the ATI extensions directly from ATI. You know, the one's we're not supposed to use?

Try disabling some of the Apple included extensions on a fresh system folder, too. You may be surprised.

Also, follow websites' forums and discussions on OS9. This could very well be the root of the problem. If your machine is having troubles with the the Open Transport or the Multiuser abilities, these are things that happen upon returning from sleep. You may not be the only folks with such a problem with the new OS, and your problem should be voiced to the masses.

------------------

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 1999, 06:54 PM

You might want to try this:

Remove all the ATI extensions from the Extensions folder (there should be 4 or 5; maybe 6), then apply the ATI Video Software Updated for the PowerBook G3 Series from June. In my testing, both drivers perform equally and there are no compatibility issues between the older drivers and OS 9. I used this to fix another problem with my Lombard; it might work for you.

Here's the link for the update: http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11475

Forum Links
Forum Rules