Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Startup crash and Shutdown hang..... Oh, Boy!!

Startup crash and Shutdown hang..... Oh, Boy!!
sfdj
Nov 12, 1999, 09:40 PM

Just upgraded to OS9 a week ago... it worked great for a few days and started going crazy. I didn't really install anything during this period, but now it either hang or crash at startup or it hangs during shutdown. I have CopyPaste D&D helper and Drop Drawer (both the latest version) in the startup items folder... and the crash or hang usually happens during the lauch of these app. When shuttingdown.... it sometimes just hang there like it's not doing anything for a long time (soft crash)... and all I can do is to force it or it'll just keep hanging. And when it lets me shut down... the HD would spin down a few seconds ealier before the monitor goes blank.... is this normal at all.... Never seen this happend in the previous OS. It'll be great if I can get some feed back on this.... I usually have to try starting up 2 or three times a day.... and I'm going crazy.... the worst OS upgrade I've ever encountered..... Thanks....

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 1999, 10:17 PM

Which mac do you have and have you run diagnostic/repair utilities on your HD?

Have you tried the 'trash the Finder Pref's' trick?

Also try trashing any pref's files (if any) related to the two app's in Startup Items folder.

sfdj
Nov 12, 1999, 10:37 PM

I have a B&W G3 400 with over 400mb of Ram. I did a clean install of OS9 on a new 20GB HD that's on the slave position. ( It should not matter if the startup disk is master or slave... should it?!) I did zap the PRAM and replacing the prefferences relating to the app.... this is sooooo frustrating... thanks for any help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules