Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 800 Video Died Again...

iBook 800 Video Died Again...
-Q-
Jul 21, 2003, 09:35 AM

After having the motherboard replaced in May b/c of failed video, my iBook has died again a mere three months later. I can't get a VGA-out signal, nor does zapping the PRAM have any impact. To quote a great scholar, "it's dead, Jim."

So we're off to the Apple Store for the genius to take a look at it again so they can offically tell me the video is dead and that Apple will have to replace the motherboard again. At this rate, I should have motherboard #3 sometime around October, near the end of my warranty.

Anyone else have their video problem fixed only to have it go out again?

CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2003, 12:49 PM

The third time this happened to me, I told Apple I wanted it replaced it outright. I don't know about you but being without it for a week while its in the shop is tantamount to disaster for me and I was sick of having to deal with it. It died three times in the space of three months on me.

-Jeff
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2003, 01:20 PM

Apple has really had it's share of display problems with the Dual USB... The cables and logicboards wearing out.

I can understand the hinge design problems in the beginning (1st. batch of a new case), but it seems weird they're still having problems after two years. Otherwise the design is very solid.

Has there been a poll about iBook screen problems (options: no problems / logicboard / hinge)?

It'd be interesting.

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 21, 2003, 11:12 PM

Yeah there has been a poll, lots of threads on iBook motherboard problems all over the place. And yes, it often fails again after repairs. Although my video failure was corrected, my iBook still shuts down when disconnected from wall socket electricity (most of the time). Trying to get Apple to accept a third repair.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 05:08 PM

my video died 3 times as well before i sold it. this all happened within the span of 7 months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules