Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gordon v Apple Suit

Gordon v Apple Suit
KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 01:33 PM

Did anyone else receive this? Do you think it's legit?

"LEGAL NOTICE

If you purchased a replacement power adapter for certain Apple PowerBook or iBook computers, you could be entitled to benefits from a class action settlement.

A settlement of a class action lawsuit affects you if you purchased an Apple PowerBook or iBook computer listed on Exhibit 1 hereto ("Subject Computer") and subsequently purchased a Replacement Adapter for the Subject Computer due to failure of the Adapter included with or sold for the Subject Computer. The settlement will provide a cash payment to United States residents who purchased a Subject Computer and paid for a Replacement Adapter covered by the settlement within the first three years following the initial retail purchase of the Subject Computer. If you qualify, you may send in a Claim Form to ask for payment, or you can exclude yourself from the settlement, or object. The United States District Court for the Northern District of California authorized this Notice. The Court will have a hearing to consider whether to approve the settlement, so that the benefits may be paid.

Who's Affected?

Purchasers of an Apple PowerBook or iBook computer listed on Exhibit 1 hereto. You're a "Class Member" if you are a United States resident who purchased in the United States an Apple PowerBook or iBook computer listed on Exhibit 1 for your own use and not for resale.

What's this About?

The lawsuit claimed that the Adapter included with or sold for the Subject Computers is defective in that it allegedly "dangerously frays, sparks and prematurely fails to work." Apple denies all allegations and has asserted many defenses. Apple is entering into this settlement to avoid burdensome and costly litigation. The settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing.

What can you Get from the Settlement?

Apple has agreed to provide a cash payment to Class Members who purchased a Replacement Adapter due to the failure of the Adapter included with or sold for a Subject Computer covered by the settlement and who send in a valid Claim Form. For failures within the first year following the initial retail purchase of the Subject Computer, the settlement requires that you attempted to have the failed Adapter replaced or repaired under warranty by Apple and such request was denied by Apple for a reason other than user abuse.

The settlement provides for different cash payments depending on when the Adapter included with or sold for your Subject Computer failed.

The settlement only applies to a Replacement Adapter purchased during the first three years following the initial retail purchase of the Subject Computer, and before May 31, 2009. Cash payment amounts are as follows:

YEAR OF FAILURE OF ADAPTER CASH PAYMENT AMOUNT
YEAR 1 THE ACTUAL AMOUNT PAID FOR THE REPLACEMENT ADAPTER (EXCLUDING TAX & SHIPPING) UP TO $79
YEAR 2 $40
YEAR 3 $25
There is a limit of one cash payment per Subject Computer.

How do you Get a Payment?

A detailed Notice and Claim Form package contains everything you need. Just call 1-888-539-5706 or go to Gordon v. Apple Computer, Inc. - Home Page to get one."

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2008, 02:00 PM

There's this one on Apple's site, associated with the same company: iPod Battery Settlement Program - Apple Canada

Plus I read something about the iBook adapter thing in the paper a few weeks ago.

Apple to provide refunds for power adapters - Los Angeles Times

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 27, 2008, 05:05 PM

I got the same thing this weekend. Mine caught fire and I took it in and they tried to blame it on me. After having a 'nice' conversation, almost to the point where I was about to go off with him, they agreed to replace it. Since, my Macbook Pro was being used for work I needed something soon so I had to buy one because it took them a month and a half to get one, even though they had tons in stock. Gotta love that Apple service.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 05:43 PM

I've sent defective stuff to Apple and had no problem getting replacements, including a shorted adapter for my TiBook (it was sparking). Just to share a recent good experience: A couple of weeks ago, my iPhone developed a dead spot in the screen, about halfway down. I went into the local Apple Store, and in about 10 minutes, had a brand new phone. All-in-all, I've been treated pretty well by Apple over the years.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2008, 12:41 AM

Sooooo.... should I take advantage and get my money. Those adaptors really did suck. Broke and sparked at the bend.

A_kurns
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2008, 12:46 AM

What's frustrating for me is that I've bought 6 (SIX!!!) powerbook adapters ($80 a pop) in the 3 short years I've had my powerbook pro. I want $480, NOT JUST $79!! Anybody feel the same as me?!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Sooooo.... should I take advantage and get my money. Those adaptors really did suck. Broke and sparked at the bend.
Only if you fit within the parameters of the lawsuit - sure why not.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by A_kurns View Post
What's frustrating for me is that I've bought 6 (SIX!!!) powerbook adapters ($80 a pop) in the 3 short years I've had my powerbook pro. I want $480, NOT JUST $79!! Anybody feel the same as me?!
That does suck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules