Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Disney wants to buy Pixar

Disney wants to buy Pixar
Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 05:28 AM

From the Wall Street Journal (Paid)

Walt Disney Co. is in serious discussions to buy Pixar Animation Studios after months in which the two animation giants have been exploring ways to continue their lucrative partnership, according to people familiar with the matter.

In the deal under discussion, Disney would pay a nominal premium to Pixar's current market value of $6.7 billion in a stock transaction that would make Pixar Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs the largest individual shareholder in Disney, according to people familiar with the situation. That would vault Mr. Jobs into an even more influential place in the media world, where he already holds tremendous sway as head of Apple Computer Inc. Yesterday, Apple reported that net income nearly doubled in the latest quarter on huge demand for its iPod music players. (See related article.)
[Steve Jobs]

People familiar with the situation caution that the talks are at a sensitive stage and that the outcome isn't certain, noting that other options are possible.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 05:35 AM

For the right price, Pixar can be bought. Disney will have to do something to spiff up their digital animation and they could do no better than to buy Pixar. If Steve becomes the largest single shareholder in Disney.. it would no doubt please him.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2006, 06:41 AM

SJ potentially the largest individual shareholder of Disney. . . That would be pretty amazing. Apple would finally get that pair of mouse ears. Of course, if Jobs started exercising control over Disney, wouldn't he be spreading himself too thin? That cough of his has been worrisome for years, and we all know the Mac has taken the back seat in recent times.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 06:53 AM

Dude, then we'd get all the iTunes Music Store would get all the Disney movies they want, as well as NBC shows.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 08:13 AM

...we'd get all the iTunes Music Store would get all the Disney movies they want, as well as NBC shows.
You mean ABC. Also ESPN, ABC Family and more!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 08:20 AM

And in disney land they would need an ipod mascot to follow mickey around! Mwhahahaaha

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko
And in disney land they would need an ipod mascot to follow mickey around! Mwhahahaaha
EIther that or Mickey would have a giant ipod in his hand with oversized earbuds. Would love to see the Apple symbol with a set of Mickey ears on it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 19, 2006, 11:26 AM

Hmmm... Does he really want that much ownership of Disney?

P.S. I wonder what John Lasseter thinks.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 11:36 AM

Alright... Disney!!!

Think of all the quality Disney sequels we'll be able to get in the next few years on iTunes...

Little Mermaid 7 - Ariel vs. Jason
Cinderella XII - Return of the Slipper
Lion King 4 1/4 - The Prequel to the Prequel
1001 Dalmations

Go for it Steve!
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
Think of all the quality Disney sequels we'll be able to get in the next few years on iTunes...

Little Mermaid 7 - Ariel vs. Jason
I'd pay $1.99 for that. Ariel sushi, as prepared by Jason. Mmm... Sushi...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2006, 11:47 AM

The most important question: will the Mickey Mouse get a scroll wheel ?

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 11:49 AM

I sense Disney park tikets going to $75 after this!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SeSawaya
I sense Disney park tikets going to $75 after this!
No, they'll go up to $ 200, but will include a complimentary iPod as tour guide

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 12:03 PM

They could have an Apple Theme Park. You could have the iPod ride, The Mac mini boat ride, the Apple Rollercoaster (It travels through the ups and downs of Apple) You could have the OS 9 house of horrors, The history of Apple boat ride. They could serve the "Mac Classic burger" or the iMac Pizza.

Just think of all the possibilities.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
They could have an Apple Theme Park. You could have the iPod ride, The Mac mini boat ride, the Apple Rollercoaster (It travels through the ups and downs of Apple) You could have the OS 9 house of horrors, The history of Apple boat ride. They could serve the "Mac Classic burger" or the iMac Pizza.

Just think of all the possibilities.
You forgot the Microsoft Ride..... all it does is crash.
(Sorry, I know that was bad.)

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 12:09 PM

I sense Disney park tickets going to $75 after this!
going up to $75? I see you haven't gone to Disney in Orlando recently. A one-day ticket to a single park will cost you almost $75 after taxes. Expect to pay an additional premium if you want to go from one park to another that day!

Of course, they structure their pricing so that you pay far less per day if you buy a several-day pass, locking you in to spending most of your time at their parks. My family, my parents, and my siblings' families (8 adults, 6 kids aged 3 and up, and my 1-yr-old daughter) are going to spend a week in Orlando this year, and I am organizing the purchase of Disney tickets. My daughter gets in free, but 5-day passes for 8 adults and 6 kids set us back over $3000 total! That's over $200 per person!

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
. My daughter gets in free, but 5-day passes for 8 adults and 6 kids set us back over $3000 total! That's over $200 per person!

I was there in 03 I think they where $55 for 1 day. $3000!! You know its funny cause theres really not that much there to do in the parks. I've been there a LOT for someone in who lives in Indiana & each time I think theres less and less. I do like the water parks!!!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 12:48 PM

I've been there a LOT for someone in who lives in Indiana & each time I think theres less and less. I do like the water parks!!!
You mean like HolidayWorld?

That place is the greatest amusement park.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2006, 12:57 PM

I thought Canada was the greatest amusement park, followed by West Virginia

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 01:07 PM

You forgot the Microsoft Ride..... all it does is crash.
(Sorry, I know that was bad.)
LOL

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 01:34 PM

I see good times ahead for us all.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 02:37 PM

LOL! I haven't been there in over a decade! Do they still have the Banshee? That was the only ride (out of all 4) that was worth a lick.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
LOL! I haven't been there in over a decade! Do they still have the Banshee? That was the only ride (out of all 4) that was worth a lick.
Yeah it's still there (at least the last time I was there).

I love it because the lines aren't too long and especially because they have free sodas throughout the park.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 03:11 PM

I like some dorky rides, like the "Wed Way people mover" Now known as Tomorrowland mass transit authority or something like that.

Test track is probably my fav though. Good thing about having so many parks is there seem to be less crowds, more dispersion.

"look mom it's Mickey, Mini and iPodi"!!!

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 19, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
I thought Canada was the greatest amusement park, followed by West Virginia
WV has an amusement park? The only one I know of is Camden Park. And it's a POS.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
WV has an amusement park? The only one I know of is Camden Park. And it's a POS.
Not has, IS

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 03:52 PM

Interesting idea... don't know what I think of it... I hate Disney so... that said it'd be a really smart move for Jobs if he could get along well with the culture of the company.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 19, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Not has, IS
I forgot about the White Water Rapids

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 05:50 PM

As long as Jobs could remain chief overseer of Pixars creative ventures, I see this as a win-win deal.

Slightly OT.
Lets say Jobs, being the Apple fan-boy that he is, goes through this but in a surprising move transfers ownership of said majority shares to Apple, making Apple Corporation majority share owner of Disney. Could that even be done? And if so would it mean Apple owned the majority of Disney?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
As long as Jobs could remain chief overseer of Pixars creative ventures, I see this as a win-win deal.
The chief overseer of Pixar's creative ventures is John Lasseter.

Slightly OT.
Lets say Jobs, being the Apple fan-boy that he is, goes through this but in a surprising move transfers ownership of said majority shares to Apple, making Apple Corporation majority share owner of Disney. Could that even be done? And if so would it mean Apple owned the majority of Disney?
No, unless he likes giving away all his money for no good reason, and because his ownership of Disney wouldn't be anywhere near the majority anyway:

Jobs' Pixar share value: ~$3.5 Billion
Disney market capitalization: ~$50 Billion

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
The chief overseer of Pixar's creative ventures is John Lasseter.

No, unless he likes giving away all his money for no good reason, and because his ownership of Disney wouldn't be anywhere near the majority anyway:

Jobs' Pixar shares: ~$3.5 Billion
Disney market cap: ~$50 Billion
oh.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 10:54 AM

The NY Times has what appears to be more informed speculation at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/20/bu...a/20pixar.html
If the Times is to be believed, this stands a better-than-average chance of actually happening!

Some highlights (for those of you who are not into soul-sucking registration)...

Disney's board is expected to meet this weekend to discuss whether it wants to proceed with a merger, according to the people apprised of the talks. Two of those people said Disney and Pixar executives had not agreed on a price, and the deal could still be scrapped.

The merger discussions were first reported on Thursday by The Wall Street Journal.

But if the two sides are able to agree on a price, something that those involved say is likely, Mr. Iger will recommend to the board that Disney buy Pixar. An announcement could come early next week.

Many of the terms have been worked out. The new animation division would be overseen by John Lasseter, Pixar's chief creative officer and a former Disney animator, who would work with animators at Pixar's headquarters in Emeryville, Calif., and at Disney in Burbank.

It is not yet clear if there would be layoffs, although they would be likely. While Pixar under Mr. Lasseter has thrived, Disney's animation division has floundered, burdened by its past and its inability to adapt to an environment where pens and paper are being replaced by computers.

If he decides to sell Pixar - and Disney agrees to buy it - it is likely Mr. Jobs would be doing so because his inner voice remains closest to Silicon Valley. And there would be a lot of money in it for him. His 50.6 percent stake in Pixar would give him roughly $3.4 billion worth of Disney stock if the deal is priced at $6.8 billion, making him the biggest individual Disney shareholder.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
That probably won't happen. But remember when Apple "bought" NeXT in the 1990's? Steve held a large share of that company, too -- if not the whole thing, my mind is a bit fuzzy on that one. Even though Apple bought the much-smaller NeXT, the end result was Steve (from the smaller company) taking on a much larger leadership position at Apple. Could his role at Disney evolve the same way?

Forum Links
Forum Rules