Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro Airport...

MacBook Pro Airport...
Kevin Dunahee
Jan 4, 2007, 10:22 AM

Has anybody else ever compared a MBP airport with the airport of another Mac laptop with a plastic case? I wondered about this a long time ago when a buddy and I were sitting in a building across the street from a wireless access point. He was able to get two bars on his Macbook and I couldn't even see the network on my MBP.

The only reason that I bring ths up is because recently another buddy of mine and myself were sitting in my garage which has concrete that does not allow wireless access. I can't even see the network once again but my friend's iBook can get three bars.

Who thinks that it is just my airport and who has noticed that the aluminum cases have poor wireless range?

As usual. thanks for your time!
-Kevin

Kevin Dunahee  (op)
Jan 6, 2007, 03:13 AM

It's getting cold at the bottom of the page...

Googler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 08:54 AM

lol i haven't, not helpful i know but eh, interesting topic, you'de think the aluminium would conduct and like, strengthen the signal, like all those foil mobile phone tricks. but eh, i doubt its your mbp, if you live near an apple center and care enough, go talk to them.

rjt1000
Senior User
Jan 6, 2007, 09:24 AM

The metal cased Mac laptops are well known for decreased wifi reception due to their internal wifi antennas being shielded by the metal case. The Ti-Books were the worst, but the aluminum skin laptops are affected as well. If you search the network forum you will find a number of threads with some possible ways to improve your reception (usb wifi dongles, external antennas, etc)

Kevin Dunahee  (op)
Jan 6, 2007, 10:32 AM

Thanks rit, that makes sense. I figured that's what it was.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2007, 10:41 AM

I have a MBP, and my wife has an 800MHz G4 iBook. We get comparable wireless performance. Basically, I think that Apple finally got some antenna designers involved in the process and thus "figured stuff out". Or they lucked out. Either way, my MBP gives me range and performance that's not only comparable to my wife's iBook, but also at least the same range and performance as my old Dell laptop. I am a HAPPY camper!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2007, 02:05 PM

Yeah my brother have a macbook and i have the pro version.

There's a wireless toyz store right accross from our dpt.
And he is able to access their unprotected network throughtout the condo.
But I cant, even if I go next to the window where he sees 3 bars the macbook pro is unable to locate it to connect.

Maybe is the AL body? But there definitely something wrong here
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 02:38 PM

The TiBooks were the worst, the Al PowerBooks were better, and the MacBook Pros are better still, but they're still not as good as the average $500 Dell. I don't think it's a materials issue, since the IBM ThinkPads have better wifi range/performance despite their Magnesium, Aluminum, or Titanium (depending on model) covers.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2007, 05:47 PM

It is a materials issue. Only the top side of the Thinkpad lids have metal in them. The rest of it is plastic. The MBPs are all metal.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2007, 08:27 PM

the macbook pros are pretty decent IMO. My MBP C2D is comparable to my macbook CD. The titanium powerbook was horrible with reception

Forum Links
Forum Rules