Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 54)
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I finally got a chance to spend a lot of time with a Wii. (Well, about 3 hours).

Wii Sports was fun, but got boring after about an hour. I seriously have no desire to ever play it again. I played it, I get it, I got it. I'm done with it.

Building Mii's is fun, but still lacks a whole lot of options. My friends and I had more fun making versions of ourselves in Karaoke Revolutions, and they looked more like us too.

As for the graphics, when I first saw Wii Sports, I thought to myself... "OK, the lack of HD and horsepower isn't that bad, this looks decent enough..." But when I put in Zelda I was SHOCKED at how terrible the graphics were. It looked really blurry and definitely took me out of the game. I guess I've been spoiled by the 360.

I also realized after an hour of Zelda that I had no desire t play another Zelda game. This is the same basic game for the 4th time in a row. Time to take it to the next level Nintendo.

At any rate, it was a very mixed bag. We had a lot of problem moving the sensor bar around to get things to work right, but once we did the controller was a cool gimmick. I enjoyed using the slingshot in Zelda, it's definitely a cool way to do it. I feel better about waiting now. I do want a Wii, but I'm feeling very good about sitting tight until there are better games available.

Oh yeah, two more thought. It did not pass the "wife test" at my house. My wife grew up playing NES games but cannot play new complicated games with analog controls. She doesn't have the patience or desire to figure out the controls. I had hoped that the Wii would fare better, but it did not. She was able to play the games, but thought they were boring and didn't see what the fuss was about.

She spent a lot of time trying to find me a Wii for my birthday, but after seeing one in action she said these things to me...

"I don't get what the big deal is..." "It looks like a dumbed down version of the Xbox" "I don't like the interface, the Xbox looks a lot better" "It's the same old games as before"

And before anyone calls me a fanboy, my favorite gaming device of this generation is the DS.
Component cables make a big difference in picture quality on the Wii. Zelda with component cables actually looks pretty nice... in a qualified sort of way. The graphics are not up to par with the XBox 360, but it is tiny compared to the 1980s VCR sized XBox 360 and much quieter as well.
Wii sports is a hoot to me. I play with my 6 year old daughter and have a blast. Of the game on it, I find Tennis a waste, but really enjoy the others.
I play the Wii more than my XBox 360. To me, the XBox 360 has the same selction of games as the XBox: nothing groundbreaking at all. Take the same game and slap fancy new graphics on it and kick it out the door. The Wii has the same games, but at least the controller aspect is pretty cool. Too each their own, though. Best to own both a 360 and a Wii, I figure
I normally keep away from Nintendo because of the crappy graphics and lame controllers. But the Wii is really nice. I wonder how long it will last though. How long before the graphics look even more dated than they are and the novelty of waving a controller around wears off?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
I normally keep away from Nintendo because of the crappy graphics and lame controllers. But the Wii is really nice. I wonder how long it will last though. How long before the graphics look even more dated than they are and the novelty of waving a controller around wears off?
I speculate that Christmas 2008 will be the launch of WiiHD.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 08:42 PM

This is purrrdy:

I'm not so sure how Wii-mote will fit with wrist strap on. And no rubber grip? Dang.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
You should be able to use just about any generic memory card reader to read SD cards on a Mac. What kind are you using?
This one:

It says compatible Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X, so I guess there is any issue with the FAT16 file format, see below:

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 07:09 AM

Fat16??? Reformat it to Fat32 and you'll be fine.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 11:34 AM

Nintendo has partnered with Gamespy for a new online service for the Wii.

Nintendo partners with GameSpy for enhanced online play - Joystiq

Looks like an end to friend codes and a more XBox Live way of playing online games.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 12:08 PM

Gamespy is the bane of gaming for PCs... :/
we don't have time to stop for gas

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post

Looks like an end to friend codes and a more XBox Live way of playing online games.
Don't be so sure. The DS uses Gamespy technology for its online play and it still uses friend codes.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Fat16??? Reformat it to Fat32 and you'll be fine.
Thanks, but it didn't help.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post

You wish.
Can't see them ever going back from their oh-so-stupid friends code scheme.
Wish they would its utterly rubbish.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 01:11 AM

Does anybody know of a list of Wii Virtual Console games that are due to come out each week before they are officially announced?

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Does anybody know of a list of Wii Virtual Console games that are due to come out each week before they are officially announced?
Joystiq or Kotaku usually give a heads-up on what's coming out, but I'm not sure if there's an unofficial list anywhere breaking down week by week of what's to come in the next few months.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 10:42 AM

Wouldnt it be cool to have a GameTrailers' channel for the Wii ? watch Wii GT channel on your TV..... it would be a nice revenue stream for advertizing upcoming Wii and DS games, etc.....i wonder if Nintendo would team up with GT to do this. the technology is fairly simple, and i definately think ill use it a LOT more than voting/news/weather.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2007, 05:17 PM

Amazon delivered my Nyko remote charging station (the one that Adam Betts mentioned a little while ago). It's pretty nice, although I had a little trouble getting one of my remotes to sit in the charger in a way that it would actually charge. They're still charging up, so I haven't used the remotes with the new battery covers yet, but they look pretty good. The remotes seem to go through batteries surprisingly quickly, so having a rechargeable pack like this is nice. You could just use normal rechargeables, but that's not quite as slick. Too bad that these (like the Wii) seem to be in short supply.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2007, 12:25 PM

We got a Wii on Sunday with a few games. I'll post my friend code when I get home

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2007, 11:40 AM

I got one of these today, working great so far. I was expecting it to plug into a USB port, but it doesn't, it plugs into the Wii's power supply socket, and has a duplicate socket on the back of the plug for the Wii's cable.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2007, 06:50 PM

4908 8712 7859 9867
My friend code

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2007, 09:38 PM

Hi guys, any of you using your Wii with LCD screen?

Wii -> component -> component converter -> LCD?
Wii -> composite -> vga box -> LCD?

Any feedback will be great, I'm doing research to consider to use the Wii with my 3007WFP.
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 03:28 AM

[/rant]
I must admit, at this point I'm disappointed with what Nintendo has (not) done with the Wii. There just seems to be so much potential left untapped. When the heck are they going to reveal online play? It should have been out on Day 1, with maybe a month or two of acceptable delay. What's going on?

I saw Warioware Smooth Moves in action this weekend, and I am thoroughly unimpressed. "Fun" isn't an excuse for horrendous graphics and lack of content. I don't buy such substandard graphics quality as style. It's an excuse. Perhaps if it were a $20 game it would be acceptable, but not at $50. And peeling potatoes ala "Cooking Mama" is no where near an "innovative" use for the Wiimote.
[/rant]

I still believe the Wii has great potential. It just seems that Nintendo isn't willing or able to deliver on that potential lately.

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 03:52 AM

Yes, these last 5 looooong months have been brutal. Brutal!

Warioware for Wii is one of the funnest games I've ever played. Ever. Well worth the cost. I'm totally glad I bought it.

It's un-fun halfassed games like Medal of Honor that should release at $20.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Yes, these last 5 looooong months have been brutal. Brutal!
i agree. zelda and excite truch seem to be the only AAA titles id spend $50 on, the reast are too mini-gaming or just PS2/GCN ports.

I must say that the VC is keeping me occupied but id really like some well polished AAA titles.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 9, 2007, 07:51 AM

I got my Wii last thursday. Its nice.
I had a little trouble trying to get it to work with my macs airport card, but its sorted now.

I bought it with Far Cry, though I think I'll swap that with zelda.
I want to get Wii Play, and I'm going to grab super paper mario when it comes out here.

I don't mind the friend code idea, though it sucks that if you add someone, they dont get sent a notification or invite to add you or something.

Anyway, if you want to share friend codes, please add them here: http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/33...riends-thread/

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
I bought it with Far Cry, though I think I'll swap that with zelda.
Do it. Far Cry Wii is probably the *worst* Wii game, and Zelda the best....although be forewarned, Zelda will consume your life till you finish it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 01:26 PM

Besides Zelda and Excite Truck I suggest WiiPlay. My wife and I played a few rounds last night and it's a lot of fun with more than one person. I got a little bored of it by myself, but multiplayer is great. I like the mode where you have to find certain Miis in a crowd.

I have a preorder for Super Pario Mario which comes out tomorrow. It should be a great game.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 9, 2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Besides Zelda and Excite Truck I suggest WiiPlay. My wife and I played a few rounds last night and it's a lot of fun with more than one person. I got a little bored of it by myself, but multiplayer is great. I like the mode where you have to find certain Miis in a crowd.

I have a preorder for Super Pario Mario which comes out tomorrow. It should be a great game.
cool.
i have wii play now( and i SUCK at the 'find mii' game), and im now sure im going to trade over far cry. also, i would like super paper mario but dont have that much money
--------

Anyway, I have some suggestions and ideas.

1. Message board.
It needs more features.

It can take ages to write a message, so why not make use of that usb port back there and let us stick a usb kbd in there? Or some other alternative like plugging a cheapy kbd into one of the GC ports.

It needs friend invites. Each person having to add one another is slow, especially over the net.

How about bulk mailing? It is nice on my mobile phone to write one message and send it to different people at once.

2. Everybody Votes Channel
The name sucks. Change it to something like 'poll channel' or 'voting channel'. Its too long and doesnt really make sense (kinda).

Also, it isnt updated quick enough. This makes it a boring channel, as you have to wait for ages to get one slight bit of info.

3.News Channel
Not updated quick enough. The technology section isnt anyway.

As the news is a bit poor on the more specific side, why not have wii feeds? RSS for Wii. That would RULE. I would love reading Engadget on my Wii. It would be really cool if the menu icon for the news channel shows the subscription name, and how many new articles it has. Sites could distribute their own feeds, and then you could input them by entering some thing like 'wfeed://engadget.com' on the wii. There wouldnt be slot illumination for the feeds, as this could then be always on. (If its from engadget or digg, etc)
Come on, it would be

TEH SNAPPY

Shout if you can hear me!

(Please add any ideas you have.)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2007, 06:03 PM

Do you really want to sit around reading RSS feeds on your Wii? For the life of me, I can't understand the point of the Wii browser or the news channel. It's SO much easier and more convenient to just use a computer.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 12:42 AM

So can't wait for Super Paper Mario tomorrow!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Do you really want to sit around reading RSS feeds on your Wii? For the life of me, I can't understand the point of the Wii browser or the news channel. It's SO much easier and more convenient to just use a computer.
I agree, Nintendo has really taken gaming UI to the "next level", i wish they'd stop wasting resources on all this fluff (news, weather, internet, voting) and just focus on amazing games.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 01:36 PM

I just bought Super Paper Mario from EB Games now. I can't wait to go home and play.

as2
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by wei View Post
Hi guys, any of you using your Wii with LCD screen?

Wii -> component -> component converter -> LCD?
Wii -> composite -> vga box -> LCD?

Any feedback will be great, I'm doing research to consider to use the Wii with my 3007WFP.
I'm using it with the component cables on a 40" LCD, and while it doesn't look as good as the XBox360 and such, it does look a dam sight better than the composite output, so I would highly recommend going down that route.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 09:58 PM

How is Paper Mario?

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
How is Paper Mario?
Awesome. Innovative but still familiar. Nintendo's platformers are always such a relief from the usual fare. I'm constantly amazed at how creative those guys are.

Graphically, I can't say how "good" it is because I'm still waiting for a deal on some component cables. I'm pretty sure it's not going to blow anyone away, but that's not the point with the Wii, is it?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by as2 View Post
I'm using it with the component cables on a 40" LCD, and while it doesn't look as good as the XBox360 and such, it does look a dam sight better than the composite output, so I would highly recommend going down that route.
Seconded. Component cables make a big diff with the Wii. I played a bit of Zelda, did a cable swap to component cables and played some more. The difference was very noticable. Recommended.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

kick52
Baninated
Apr 12, 2007, 04:18 AM

well, i got a message from nintendo saying a new version of the internet channel was released, and i clicked update like it said but i still have the trial version..

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2007, 06:02 AM

Ah.. my bad... I was referring to LCD monitor (those that you use with Mac/PC), not LCD TV.
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

as2
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 06:11 AM

well, i got a message from nintendo saying a new version of the internet channel was released, and i clicked update like it said but i still have the trial version..
You will have the full version, it's just free until June when you will have to pay for it.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2007, 09:11 AM

Once you have done the update, you get the new Internet Channel from the Wii Shop in the software section (not the Virtual Console section), it will be marked as downloaded, but will also say New and Update, re-download the channel and your new browser will be there.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2007, 05:07 PM

The new browser is MUCH better than before. Nice Nintendo!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2007, 07:58 PM

I agree, they have fixed all the usability issues....primarily the toolbar has an auto-hide checkbox. i find myself using the browzer solely for youtube, which is fine.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 13, 2007 at 06:05 AM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2007, 09:46 PM

Yes, I tried the new version earlier and it is pretty good. I still don't really see the point in using it, but it is actually a lot better than the PS3 web browser, despite the limited resolution. Being able to just point at links is nice, and it seems faster than the PS3 version as well.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 13, 2007, 04:58 AM

i dont like the new scrolling stuff, i find it too sensitive, but its fine otherwise.

apparently, super paper mario isnt coming out in PAL regions until at least after june. i'm getting seriously pissed off that we always get everything months later
( Last edited by kick52; Apr 13, 2007 at 05:12 AM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 06:06 AM

i dont like the new scrolling stuff, i find it too sensitive, but its fine otherwise.

apparently, super paper mario isnt coming out in PAL regions until at least after june. i'm getting seriously pissed off that we always get everything months later
And dont forget, we pay more for it as well (hardware and software)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2007, 08:20 AM

Oh check this out guys, very cool little thing for your Wii. Point your internet browser (on your Wii) to G4 TV, and theyve devised a custom UI, which actually seems really cool for watching their shows(or parts of their shows) on your TV. my only criticizm is the lack of a "full screen" button, but luckily you can zoom right in. i hope more sites start doing this. it's great content delivery mechanism and advertizing stream (especially for Wii games and ascessories).
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 14, 2007 at 08:37 AM. )

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 09:55 AM

Punch-Out!! came out today for the Virtual Console...w00t!

kick52
Baninated
Apr 16, 2007, 11:59 AM

my friend came over with a few wii and GC games, and we playhed for about 5hrs. i tried zelda and its pretty sweet.

anyway, i did something weird in wii sports boxing today:

btw: my camera uses an sd card, so i found it really easy to take a pic or video, stick the card in the wii, and it automaticaly finds the video and i can play it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 06:08 PM

Huh? The next Resident Evil is a rail shooter?! And a jaggy one too apparently

IGN: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles Preview

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 07:18 PM

sounds awesome

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 07:19 PM

Items are hidden within the stages, which feature highly interactive objects. You can shoot apart doors and windows, knock out lights (the rooms will darken -- we haven't figured out the benefit of doing this), gun down paintings (they'll eventually fall off the walls) and even blow apart chandeliers, which may fall from the ceiling and land on enemies if timed correctly. The animations and particles -- doors splinter, windows break apart, bullets line walls -- add a lot to the atmosphere.
a w e s o m e .

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
sounds awesome
Of course

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Huh? The next Resident Evil is a rail shooter?! And a jaggy one too apparently

Yeah, duck hunt was awesome too. A w e s o m e !

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules