Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Don't restore your iPod touch with 3.0

Don't restore your iPod touch with 3.0
Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2009, 05:36 PM

My ipod is working great under 3.0, but I decided to do a restore and it turned into a real mess. I of course did a sync right before the restore, and I only had one backup available in iTunes. So I hooked up my iPod, clicked restore, and it went through the usual stuff before before it restarted and gave me the window that allows you to backup your data. As I only had one backup, that's what I used when to my horror I saw that it wasn't putting all my stuff back on my iPod. So it restarted with nothing on it but the factory apps. While doing the restore it produced another backup. So I kept doing restores. Long story short, to get my stuff back I had to go through the various backups until I got the one with my stuff.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where the touch backups are kept on the hard-drive? I would think it should be pretty easy to tell an empty one from the one with all my stuff.

Cold Warrior
Jun 20, 2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
Speaking of which, does anyone know where the touch backups are kept on the hard-drive?
~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

That's where iPhone backups are kept according to this thread. Are your touch backups in that path too?

http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iph...file-location/

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

That's where iPhone backups are kept according to this thread. Are your touch backups in that path too?

http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iph...file-location/
In that backup folder I have a folder named 71e149e42a3f6ead8fdb3f4e7e352816b13fff58, and in that folder I have 2094 items with the suffixes .mdinfo and .mddata, and three .plist. So as far as I can tell there aren't any specific touch backups in there. And by specific I mean I can't tell an empty backup from one with all my stuff.

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 01:04 PM

OK, I think I've figured out what's going on here. If you restore your touch and it just comes up blank, all you need to do is a sync. I guess all your stuff is still in iTunes and just needs to be brought back onto your touch. I've done this several times now and everything (bookmarklets, notes, contacts) all come back as before the restore. I hope this helps someone out there

Forum Links
Forum Rules