Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > With the introduction of Lion, should I buy a Magic Trackpad?

With the introduction of Lion, should I buy a Magic Trackpad?
Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2011, 07:41 PM

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum, as it directly relates to Lion

Just curious, as I have an iMac that can run Lion, and currently have a wireless Logitech Performance Mouse MX that I like plenty. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether Multi-Touch Gestures are really that big a deal. The only experience I have with manipulating anything computer like with my fingers is my iPod touch. How would having a trackpad improve my computer experience. Thanks

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2011, 08:29 PM

Snow Leopard is already very much multitouch aware. Just go to an Apple store and play with one of the MBPs they have on display, and see if you like it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Jun 19, 2011, 06:24 AM

One doesn't exclude the other - I have a trackpad and an old mouse connected. I find that the trackpad is really too small for general work on the 27" screen, but it's useful for certain tasks.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2011, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
One doesn't exclude the other - I have a trackpad and an old mouse connected. I find that the trackpad is really too small for general work on the 27" screen, but it's useful for certain tasks.
So the trackpad isn't necessarily meant to replace a mouse... that's a relief

I still don't know if I'm gonna get a trackpad... maybe I should just wait for Lion to be released before I decide.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2011, 01:14 AM

I got the Magic Trackpad 5 days ago. I have mixed feelings, I like both it and my little Macally ice mini mouse. Both on 27" iMac and 19" second monitor. The mini, set at max speed, offers precise and tight cursor control over a 2 monitor span in a 2 inch moving square. The Pad feels, well magical, I can do so much with so little force. But, it is a bit hyperkinetic, the speed at max is fine, but the double-click needs to be turned down to low, in my experience, to avoid involuntary drags etc. I do not regret the purchase at all, in fact, I would encourage you to try it. And as P says, you can have both, I've uses the MTP about 95% of the time, and resorted to the rodent a few times where I needed extra precision. And I am on good old SL I am excited for the feel of Lion, having had amazing experiences with the iPhone. That said, I think that there may be a learning curve as we transition from moving things (such as smooth plastic mouse stuff around to just moving fingers.( For Harry Potter fans, Hermione, perhaps?)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2011, 06:30 AM

I have both the magic mouse and the magic trackpad, and I use the trackpad exclusively with my 27" Cinema Display. The mouse has been in my drawer for the past year.

jmiddel: You can adjust the double-click speed in System Preferences.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum, as it directly relates to Lion

Just curious, as I have an iMac that can run Lion, and currently have a wireless Logitech Performance Mouse MX that I like plenty. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether Multi-Touch Gestures are really that big a deal. The only experience I have with manipulating anything computer like with my fingers is my iPod touch. How would having a trackpad improve my computer experience. Thanks
Buy two and RAID them.

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2011, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Buy two and RAID them.
Sorry, I don't know what RAID means. And do you mean buy two trackpads? Remember, I already have a Logitech Performance Mouse MX that I like a lot.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2011, 04:25 AM

Sorry, I don't know what RAID means.
In the context of mice/trackpads, it doesn't mean much of anything.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Jun 21, 2011, 05:29 AM

Sorry, I don't know what RAID means. And do you mean buy two trackpads? Remember, I already have a Logitech Performance Mouse MX that I like a lot.
RAID is Redundant Array of Independent Disks (or sometimes Inexpensive instead of Independent) - basically using multiple disks to act as one, with various improvements in speed and data integrity depending on the exact variant. Here, it's just a silly joke.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
RAID is Redundant Array of Independent Disks (or sometimes Inexpensive instead of Independent) - basically using multiple disks to act as one, with various improvements in speed and data integrity depending on the exact variant. Here, it's just a silly joke.
Yup

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2011, 05:51 AM

I thought about the trackpad for ages. Bought it a few months ago and haven't regretted it. If you are happy to use the gestures then it's fantastic and I find it speeds up navigation around the finder and within aware applications. My wife hates it and will not use it, then complains that I haven't turned the mouse on when she wants to use the computer.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2011, 07:33 AM

Lion does not requiere the Magic Trackpad (or any other trackpad) and gestures are.. overrated and often uncomfortable, keyboard shortcuts working faster anyway.

Apple's "Magic" mouse is so bad though, that I'd rather get the Trackpad were I buying a new Mac today - I'd throw the Magic Mouse away anyway and use a Logitech mouse instead. Apple hasn't made a good mouse since the 90s.

Bottom line is: no need for a trackpad in Lion (though it is extremely funny to see people try to do finger gestures, .. and fail mostly at the four-finger ones)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

hart
Senior User
Jun 26, 2011, 12:20 PM

So having accumulated a large repertoire of keyboard shortcuts that I use without thinking about it I want to ask what does using the trackpad actually add to the UI?

Not to be to Luditic (how's that for a word?) but I just watched the Apple video ( Apple - OS X Lion - Learn about the top new features. ) and got vicarious hand tension just watching it. I always find trackpad usage stresses my hand because of the lack of support.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
I always find trackpad usage stresses my hand because of the lack of support.
Support? You're just resting your hand on a flat surface. Does resting your hand on a tabletop stress it too?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
So having accumulated a large repertoire of keyboard shortcuts that I use without thinking about it I want to ask what does using the trackpad actually add to the UI?
It's true that the Exposé shortcuts are able to be replicated by the mouse and the keyboard. However, pinch-zooming and scrolling left, right, diagonally, etc. are not, and I find myself using the trackpad a lot for those operations when I'm in an application that supports them.

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Support? You're just resting your hand on a flat surface. Does resting your hand on a tabletop stress it too?
Actually, resting your hand puts a lot of the burden on your small finger muscles, which are now doing all the work. I'd recommend leaving your keyboard at about elbow height and letting your biceps and gravity take care of a lot of the up-and-down motion your hand makes. Think of how a pianist plays at the keyboard.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Actually, resting your hand puts a lot of the burden on your small finger muscles, which are now doing all the work. I'd recommend leaving your keyboard at about elbow height and letting your biceps and gravity take care of a lot of the up-and-down motion your hand makes. Think of how a pianist plays at the keyboard.
Right. The wrist should be straight. Personally, I find the trackpad less stressful than a mouse because the fingers and wrist maintain a natural form.

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Lion does not requiere the Magic Trackpad (or any other trackpad) and gestures are.. overrated and often uncomfortable, keyboard shortcuts working faster anyway.

Apple's "Magic" mouse is so bad though, that I'd rather get the Trackpad were I buying a new Mac today - I'd throw the Magic Mouse away anyway and use a Logitech mouse instead. Apple hasn't made a good mouse since the 90s.

Bottom line is: no need for a trackpad in Lion (though it is extremely funny to see people try to do finger gestures, .. and fail mostly at the four-finger ones)
I've decided not to get a Magic Trackpad as everything you can do with a gesture has a Dock equivalent. So I can enjoy Lion with my Logitech Performance mouse MX

Forum Links
Forum Rules