Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Cable/ADSL router or no router: Can somebody explain speed problems?

Cable/ADSL router or no router: Can somebody explain speed problems?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2003, 03:37 AM

OK, I have a very simple cable modem (no internal switch, router, hub, whatever) - all it has is just a RJ-45 Ethernet plug, a cable plug and power. It's running at 512Kbps. This thing is hooked up to a 10/100 hub with four ports. One of the three free hub ports is connected to a Cat-5 Ethernet cable connecting my 1GHz iMac.

Now, recently I wanted to copy some stuff on my iMac to a friend's iBook. So I took a second Cat-5 Ethernet cable and connected the iBook to the hub. I got the iMac's Finder to mount the iBook's disk. Then I just pulled over the folder I wanted to copy.

It worked nice and fine except for the fact that it was slow. Slow like hell. After all it was only a 7MB folder. I mean slow in the sense like I'd expect 10Mbps at least from the wired 100Mbps Ethernet connection, but actually it felt much more like the 512Kbps I get out of the cable modem. It took well over a minute for the 7MB folder to copy. I didn't understand this slow speed, since the iMac and the iBook were connected locally, without any need to go through the cable modem.

So, I started wondering. Is it possible that since the Macs were connected through the hub which goes directly to the cable modem that all communication over the hub is bottlenecked at 512Kbps because that's the max speed the modem allows? And if yes, would a router solve the problem? Or, would the AP base station (between modem and Macs with AP card) solve the problem?

This really did confuse me.

Maybe somebody can explain the speed problems? I hope so. Thanks in advance.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 2, 2003 at 03:59 AM. )

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 12:05 PM

Ya, it's most likely that hub. You may even be copying things across the internet, even though the machines are local. I'm guessing you checked the IP's? If not, put them both on the same subnet.
An inexpensive wireless (or wired) router would solve this and your other thread's issues.
Glad to see that you're coming around, by the way!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2003, 12:21 PM

aaanorton, thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by aaanorton:
You may even be copying things across the internet, even though the machines are local.
That's what I was afraid of.

I'm guessing you checked the IP's? If not, put them both on the same subnet.
Will that necessarily solve the problem? I get a dynamic IP from my ISP's DHCP server and as far as I know they always also come with the same subnet adress...

An inexpensive wireless (or wired) router would solve this and your other thread's issues.
Glad to see that you're coming around, by the way!

Well, here in Europe where I live there is no such thing as a wireless router for 69$. I've checked some stores on them and I get the impression that nothing is cheaper (or better looking as a matter of fact ) than an Airport base station. So I'll probably be getting one of those - that is after I get the PowerBook, because otherwise my g/f will kill me (as I mentioned in the other thread).

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 12:41 PM

Ya, I forgot you're in europe... Sorry to keep rubbing that deal here in. For the time being any cheap wired router or even switch should solve your immediate problem.
If both machines are getting IPs from the DHCP server, then you should be set. But check 'em anyway to make sure.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2003, 02:20 PM

For the time being any cheap wired router or even switch should solve your immediate problem.
If both machines are getting IPs from the DHCP server, then you should be set. But check 'em anyway to make sure.
Thanks very much for your help! I really appreciate it.

I'll try it as soon as I get the necessary hardware.

n~s
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2003, 02:26 PM

Since you are transfering files and not trying to give both machines internet access, you should be able to get by without hub or router. Just run an ethernet cable between the iMac and the iBook, then either use file sharing or FTP Access from one machine to share directly with the other.
You are not your signature.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by n~s:
Since you are transfering files and not trying to give both machines internet access, you should be able to get by without hub or router. Just run an ethernet cable between the iMac and the iBook, then either use file sharing or FTP Access from one machine to share directly with the other.
Thanks. I thought about that and of course it would work, but if I want to do this every now and then and be able to remain connected to the net (surf while copying ) it wouldn't work.

But, it's correct. If I don't have the router by the next time I need to copy files this is exaclty what I'll do.

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 2, 2003, 05:43 PM

How about multi-homing? Macs can have more than one IP address.....

Craig

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2003, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by suthercd:
How about multi-homing? Macs can have more than one IP address.....

Craig
Ahhhh, nice one.

Didn't think of that.

Now to the 'how': Is it just as easy as defining a second Ethernet inteface in the list of possible connections and specifying that that one has a manual IP?

Thanks for the good idea!

Forum Links
Forum Rules