Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What's with my battery???

What's with my battery???
Sealobo
Sep 30, 2003, 06:12 PM

I used X Charge to monitor my 667MHz PB's battery life and it shows something like this...

It lasted some 55 mins but the curve is nowhere near linear. I was just browser using Safari and had no other resource intensive task running.

What's with the weird reading?!

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 01:05 PM

That's really weird, I've never seen an X-charge graph like that! The only thing I can suggest is resetting the PRAM in open firmware:

1) reboot while holding option-command-o-f (boot into open firmware)
2) type reset-nvram (return)
3) type reset-all (return)
4) type reboot (return)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642

Also, you can get a better battery from newertech:

http://www.newertech.com/newer_bats.html

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 10:35 PM

Try XBattery instead. When your machine goes to sleep, XCharge doesn't get the clock right and it makes the discharge curve look funny. XBattery gets it right.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2004, 09:02 PM

Mine is even weirder. It drops to about 84% within half an hour and goes to sleep instantly as it hits 0% in one second. Then it charges up to about 20% over the course of an hour and a half and then jumps to 100%. I reset the powermanager with the button and no change. It's been doing this for a few months now. Here is a the plotted graph in XBattery and Xcharge which both agree exactly with the Apple battery monitor in my menubar. This is on a TiGz powerbook that I bought when it first came out in Nov almost two years ago. Is the battery really shot already? I don't even use it very much.... most of my work is done plugged in. Is this a common problem? Are other Ti people seeing stuff like this? Do I call Apple with my Applecare number?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 08:59 PM

Really surprised that nobody has replied to this yet. Can't believe that I'm the only one with a dead battery on this forum. Called Apple today and they said they will replace it within the first year but after that you're on your own because it's a wear item or something and Applecare doesn't cover it. Anyone able to refute/confirm this story??? Hello??? My computer is less than two years old.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Mine is even weirder. It drops to about 84% within half an hour and goes to sleep instantly as it hits 0% in one second. Then it charges up to about 20% over the course of an hour and a half and then jumps to 100%. I reset the powermanager with the button and no change. It's been doing this for a few months now. Here is a the plotted graph in XBattery and Xcharge which both agree exactly with the Apple battery monitor in my menubar. This is on a TiGz powerbook that I bought when it first came out in Nov almost two years ago. Is the battery really shot already? I don't even use it very much.... most of my work is done plugged in. Is this a common problem? Are other Ti people seeing stuff like this? Do I call Apple with my Applecare number?
I have the same machine as you, my battery dies at about 40%, my wife's 12" powerbook does the same. Fortunately, we bought our machines using a visa gold, which extends your warranty an extra year. We're in the process of claiming for new batteries.

If you bought your machine using a gold or platinum type credit card, you may have some similar protection. Worth checking,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
I have the same machine as you, my battery dies at about 40%, my wife's 12" powerbook does the same. Fortunately, we bought our machines using a visa gold, which extends your warranty an extra year. We're in the process of claiming for new batteries.

If you bought your machine using a gold or platinum type credit card, you may have some similar protection. Worth checking,

Wow, that's not a bad idea! I actually bought it with my Titanium card so I should give them a call! Has this worked for anyone else for batteries??? It seems like people would have a real problem with this and there would be more about it on this forum if it's widespread.

dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2004, 09:48 PM

Have you had any luck with seeking a replacement? Mine has started to "take the plunge" as well (17" RevA)

Originally posted by mrtew:
Wow, that's not a bad idea! I actually bought it with my Titanium card so I should give them a call! Has this worked for anyone else for batteries??? It seems like people would have a real problem with this and there would be more about it on this forum if it's widespread.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by dlindsay17:
Have you had any luck with seeking a replacement? Mine has started to "take the plunge" as well (17" RevA)

Actually I don't even know if I have any hope, because my computer is now two years old and Apple only covers the batteries for one year, so even if the card doubled that warrantee, I'm still SOL! I may just give up and buy a new one or go without.

Forum Links
Forum Rules