Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Does this Pioneer DVD±R DL 16 work with my MDD and how do I replace the old drive?

Does this Pioneer DVD±R DL 16 work with my MDD and how do I replace the old drive?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 02:43 AM

I Currently have MDD 1.25GHZ/Super/Combo (from Apple)/1.79GB/R9800Pro 256/3 HD's/USB2 PCI/etc.

I can never burn above 2x on the 105 4x that came with the MDD (same with my moms Dec 03 mine Sept 03) for the last year or so. I get strange errors (not to mention not being able to read some burned DVD's that I burned with the drive). This is the same for both MDD's (Identical configs except hers has the R9000 still).

At Futureshop online, I saw this Pioneer 16x DL burner, but it says PC only and not sure if it's the 109 or what. It's black so it would match my MDD. It's only $49 Canadian+$29 for a 25-pack of Philips DVD-R DL 8x disc.

So I am close to upgrading to DL to help clear space off of my HD (with files that won't fit on a SL DVD and no it's not Movies I downloaded/TV shows etc). Like my sisters wedding project from last year full size clips 3-6GB (59GB total).

Is that the 109 drive that is fully supported in Tiger or another model?

Since both bays (both systems) came with Super/Combo, which should I replace and how do I get into thay cage. I see side screws but it looks like a complex job (compared to moving around my Beige Drives way back in 2003).

Thanks
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 03:44 AM

I bought a lite on DL drive and it worked great in my sawtooth... I never burned a DL disk though... I only paid like $40 for the drive when i bought it a year or so ago...

usually most cd/dvd drives that work in a PC will work in a mac..

Zach

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 04:08 AM

After more research, it seems the one at Futureshop for $49CDN is DVR-110 Black. What are the differences between the DVR-110 and DVR-111D?
--Stephen King

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 09:44 AM

I have installed a DVR-111D into my 1,25 GHz MDD, it works great, you only need to remove the Pioneer's front bezel, due to the MDD doors design it wouldn't close if it is not removed.

I installed it into the lower bay since it was the combo which was installed there and by then I didn't know if this new 111D model would be Mac OS bootable… it turned out being Mac OS bootable, so far so great.

Yo have to remove the whole optical drive carrier where both optical bays are installed, you can read about it on the MDD users manual. If you can not find it at this moment, get the MDD's Service Manual -not the users manual- here:

Free file hosting, yourfilelink.com - online file resource.

The Optical Drive Take Apart section is going to help you.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 11:04 AM

I put a 111D in my MDD last week and it has been great so far. The old superdrive went into my b&w G3 and I left my lite-on 52x cdrw in the lower bay.
30 something dollars with free shipping from newegg, but I don't know if they ship to canada.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:41 PM

Would I be stupid putting the SuperDrive in my Beige G3 for my sister (who will need it for the next 1-2+ years)? Jag 10.2.8. I know this system came with 10.2.7 (I used that DVD to setup the Beige on my MDD)?

Thanks for the manual. Now any photos of it being removed etc? Kinda cool seeing a MDD gutted.
--Stephen King

Gir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2006, 03:56 PM

The 109 in my MDD is fully supported in tiger (no patchburn), and burns cds faster than the original combo that was in it
desktop: MDD 2x867/2gb/200gb
fiancee's lapper: 1.7 PM/8x Dual Layer/60gb/640MB/winders :(

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 04:27 PM

Would I be stupid putting the SuperDrive in my Beige G3…

I guess it is OK since AFAIK those G3 didn't come with SCSI optical drives.

edit: in fact you can see them -G3 Beige- listed here:

SuperDrive Your PowerMac at OtherWorldComputing.com

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 03:46 PM

For any questions on optical drive compatibility, go to XLR8 Your Mac and look up their drive database

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules